Fix the line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. Fix the OL. Re-sign Barksdale if he's affordable, go OL early and often in the draft, and consider signing a player in FA to be a top tier 6th OL like Clint Boling.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If Jake Long is willing to come to terms with the fact that he's not a franchise LT anymore, and will shed his contract...he's the perfect swing Tackle behind Robinson & Barksdale.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have been on the bandwagon to fix the Oline for years now. Have always believed in starting in the trenches and building out. It looks like our FO gets it for the defense why would it be any different for the O?

Grob looks like he MIGHT be on his way toward learning how to play LOT. Saffold is going to be here for a while and even though he still has had his scary moments this year he appears to have potential to be a solid piece. Jones I still have hope, I don't know why other than I want to be an optimist and he has an excellent college resume. Barksdale?? Even if he resigns there should be competition for that ROT position. That still leaves us with a need for at least 2 more players and some depth.

I have not really looked at much of the draft info but the early info I see could have the Rams reaching for someone with the first pick if they go Oline, there doesn't look like a lot of talent there in the first, maybe Brandon Scherff ?? There maybe an OLB though Shaq Thompson, Vic Beasle, or Dante Fowler. In the second AJ Cann could fill that OG spot and fit in the power system if that isn't changed in the off season but that could also be the spot for Hundley if he is the guy they want to develop.

I am all for fixing the Oline but not thrilled about free agency, it has been a money pit for the Rams and I'd rather spend a couple of the few picks the Rams have in quality Oline players instead of trying to coach up late round picks.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I remember a time where OLine coaches would develop a lower drafted or even undrafted player and mold him into a solid starter. But, now it seems that it's all about free agency and high draft choices........for the Rams. For goodness sakes. Seattle can spend a 7th round selection on a DT and switch him to OG and mold him into a solid player.

I can't help but to believe that some non-starter on the Rams roster has got to be able to be developed in to a solid starter, but hasn't been given a chance.

IMO, Paul Boudreau beats the hell out of Steve Loney. But, maybe the Rams bring in someone better than him this offseason? I was actually surprised that Fisher didn't bring Munchak in when the Titans fired him as they've worked together for years.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember a time where OLine coaches would develop a lower drafted or even undrafted player and mold him into a solid starter. But, now it seems that it's all about free agency and high draft choices........for the Rams. For goodness sakes. Seattle can spend a 7th round selection on a DT and switch him to OG and mold him into a solid player.

I can't help but to believe that some non-starter on the Rams roster has got to be able to be developed in to a solid starter, but hasn't been given a chance.

IMO, Paul Boudreau beats the hell out of Steve Loney. But, maybe the Rams bring in someone better than him this offseason?

Because Rams fans aren't content with solid. Joe is a solid player...maybe even better than solid. But we're all undecided on whether to re-sign him.

If Sweezy were playing for this team, I think we'd be talking about upgrading on him. JMO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
And another thing. I'm also beginning to wonder if the Rams should focus more on a zone blocking Oline who can handle some power instead of vice versa. That is, if they aren't going to go the Malzahn route.;)

I'd love to see Bill Callahan come over from Dallas and implement this along with being the running game coordinator.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm all for cutting Long if he's not gonna take a cut, but based on some things Jim Thomas has said in chats I don't get the vibe they're going to cut him.

Athos

Legend
Agreed. But you don't take a lineman at 8-10 overall unless he's top 1-2 at his position. I think those guys may be gone by then.

So, you either trade down or you take BPA which will likely be Kevin White.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. But you don't take a lineman at 8-10 overall unless he's top 1-2 at his position. I think those guys may be gone by then.

T.J. Clemmings...problem solved. :D

White would be a great consolation prize...but I am hoping for Jameis or T.J. Clemmings on draft day.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
T.J. Clemmings...problem solved. :D

White would be a great consolation prize...but I am hoping for Jameis or T.J. Clemmings on draft day.
I watched Clemmings stuff yesterday, I highly doubt we have a chance, although the guy he compares to went around 10, so who knows we may get lucky. No shot at Winston however.

If the goal is to get interior line help a trade down would be wise. Heck trade down twice and compile a ton as many second and third round picks as possible. Then draft 3-4 linemen. Increase your odds of hitting.

I think I'm leaving this draft with one of Gurley or DGB. I want a high upside playmaker. And those guys can be had late first or second.

FRO

Legend

I would be fine with White. After watching Larry Fitzgerald for a decade, getting his clone would be fantastic. Can't wait to watch the guy at the senior bowl.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched Clemmings stuff yesterday, I highly doubt we have a chance, although the guy he compares to went around 10, so who knows we may get lucky. No shot at Winston however.

If the goal is to get interior line help a trade down would be wise. Heck trade down twice and compile a ton as many second and third round picks as possible. Then draft 3-4 linemen. Increase your odds of hitting.

I think I'm leaving this draft with one of Gurley or DGB. I want a high upside playmaker. And those guys can be had late first or second.

I'm fine with that. Sounds like a good plan for me...but we might not get that shot.

But I think we could come away with T.J. since he didn't play LT in college.

And maybe we come away with Winston. Gotta hope some teams don't draft him due to his character.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be fine with White. After watching Larry Fitzgerald for a decade, getting his clone would be fantastic. Can't wait to watch the guy at the senior bowl.

I'm not sure Fitz is his comparison. I think he might actually be more like Dez on the field.(without the attitude problems)

But neither guy is a bad comparison and if he turned out as good as either, I'd be pumped.

I don't see White busting. I've heard great things about his work ethic and attitude...and the guy has hands for days with separation skills and athleticism.

FRO

Legend
I'm fine with that. Sounds like a good plan for me...but we might not get that shot.

But I think we could come away with T.J. since he didn't play LT in college.

And maybe we come away with Winston. Gotta hope some teams don't draft him due to his character.
I don't know man. TJ looks smooth on the field and you know when it comes to the pajama Olympics he is going to do great. I'm right there with you hoping we have a shot. He and Robinson would give us great bookends to build with.

If Winston's character is that bad that he falls to us, then we may need to think twice. The guy is just too talented to fall to us. Plus the Jets are past desperate. I can't see them passing.

FRO

Legend
I'm not sure Fitz is his comparison. I think he might actually be more like Dez on the field.(without the attitude problems)

But neither guy is a bad comparison and if he turned out as good as either, I'd be pumped.

I don't see White busting. I've heard great things about his work ethic and attitude...and the guy has hands for days with separation skills and athleticism.
It's the dreds and the jersey number. Guy is a hands catcher who can contort his body and high point the football. I think his 40 time will be better than predicted as well. If he has a great work ethic and attitude to go along with his physical ability, then you have to think long and hard before passing him up. I really like our receivers, but you don't pass up elite talent like that.

FRO

Legend
La'el Collins is a guy that really fits us and what we want to do. Read an article on him and his line coach said he would kiss his own butt if Collins didn't go top 5. Cam Cameron is really high on him too. I think Collins can play LT in the league, I just think he would be an outstanding OG.

AJ Cann in the second is also a guy that could help us. What I like most about him is his awareness. He and Robinson do a great job on the left side with stunts and Cann does a great job at recognizing blitzes and picking them up. He is a plug and play LG.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know man. TJ looks smooth on the field and you know when it comes to the pajama Olympics he is going to do great. I'm right there with you hoping we have a shot. He and Robinson would give us great bookends to build with.

If Winston's character is that bad that he falls to us, then we may need to think twice. The guy is just too talented to fall to us. Plus the Jets are past desperate. I can't see them passing.

I don't agree. You do your research and you rely on your own information. You don't worry about what other teams are thinking or might know. You know what you know and you don't know what you don't know.

FRO

Legend
I don't agree. You do your research and you rely on your own information. You don't worry about what other teams are thinking or might know. You know what you know and you don't know what you don't know.
That wasn't my point. My point is if it's that bad that top teams are passing then most likely you are getting the same information and it's bad. With his talent the character is going to have to be horrible for him to drop, and if his character is horrible we should pass. Yes do your own research and don't pass him because other teams do. My point is for him not to go top 5, then most likely teams have found horrible character stuff in his background. I don't know if I articulated that the way I wanted to.

For me going off the on field stuff, he is the easy first pick in the draft. Easy. Jimbo Fisher and Winston's teammates seem to love the guy, and he wasn't charged with anything on the rape front, so I don't see his character as being something that drops him out of the top 10. Teams will look past some stuff when it comes to his talent.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That wasn't my point. My point is if it's that bad that top teams are passing then most likely you are getting the same information and it's bad. With his talent the character is going to have to be horrible for him to drop, and if his character is horrible we should pass. Yes do your own research and don't pass him because other teams do. My point is for him not to go top 5, then most likely teams have found horrible character stuff in his background. I don't know if I articulated that the way I wanted to.

For me going off the on field stuff, he is the easy first pick in the draft. Easy. Jimbo Fisher and Winston's teammates seem to love the guy, and he wasn't charged with anything on the rape front, so I don't see his character as being something that drops him out of the top 10. Teams will look past some stuff when it comes to his talent.

Or they abide by the logic that many here have expressed...the QB is the face of the franchise and they don't want to risk a pick on a guy with all of Winston's run-ins.

Kind of like teams not drafting Aaron Donald because of size.

Teams don't always use the most sound logic. Some of them have strict rules they follow...and for some teams, that might mean Winston gets no consideration due to his off the field transgressions...think Spags and his Four Pillars.

Anyways, we're getting off topic here. I don't want to derail your thread with Winston.

FRO

Legend
Or they abide by the logic that many here have expressed...the QB is the face of the franchise and they don't want to risk a pick on a guy with all of Winston's run-ins.

Kind of like teams not drafting Aaron Donald because of size.

Teams don't always use the most sound logic. Some of them have strict rules they follow...and for some teams, that might mean Winston gets no consideration due to his off the field transgressions...think Spags and his Four Pillars.
I understand that. But if multiple teams that have black holes at QB pass on the kid there is probably something terribly wrong. But yes, do your own research and if he clears the big stuff and is sitting there by all means take him. He would fit what we want to do. Put him in that Big Ben role.