Fisher & the lack of offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Am I the only one that didn't expect the shittiest roster in the NFL to be totally rebuilt in less than two years?

It seems so.......

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Am I the only one that didn't expect the shittiest roster in the NFL to be totally rebuilt in less than two years?

It seems so.......

No way Les... This was a fucking COMPLETE AND TOTAL REBUILD. Period.

iced

@iced

If you force teams to come up in the box, you're going to win some match-ups outside. Even Quick proved he was capable of winning 1 on 1s(Carolina) when they had to pull their safety up to play the run.

Doesn't matter how good the CB or defense is, when you're on an island, you will get beat sometimes. Especially when you're going up against athletes like Givens, Austin, and Cook.

What has made Seattle so tough to beat is that they can stop the run while keeping Earl Thomas over the top. If you run all over them and force Earl Thomas to play the run, you can throw on them. Or better yet...if they don't have Earl Thomas play the run, you continue to pound it down their throats.

I disagree about Carolina. Quick got open against zone coverage, not man to man - and Carolina's back 4 is dependent on their front 7's success. Their secondary doesn't rival Seahawks or Cards, the two teams that we need to beat 4x if we want a chance at sniffing the playoffs. The Niners secondary isn't a strong as those 2 but they're still stout.

iced

The point I was trying to make was if the opponent has a shut down DB, that one shut down DB can not cover more than one WR at one time. That means there should be another WR or TE or RB that could get open. Plus I think "X" gave several examples of our WR's beating those DB's.

Except that Arizona has 2 of them - Cromartie and Peterson, then you have Seattle's legion of boom... and our current "starting" (which i use tentatively) receivers have problems with getting separation and catching the ball.

Some of the best corners at their positions vs receivers who are playing below average? Corners will take that match up every day.

4 Td's in the last 6 games against the NFC West says it all

iced

Yea, Givens, Cook, Tavon early, and Quick were big contributors to the drop issues - if memory serves me correctly... Drich was pretty bad too

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMHO, if we draft a WR it has to be a Larry Fitzgerald type stud and no more "needs work" to get to the next level players. Our WR's have been so bad, we look back at the time Danario Alexander was on the team in wide eyed wonder, like he was a God. We are the Rams for goodness sake. A team with a history associated with the best WR's ever to play the game. How we have struck out with duds for so long is perplexing. I hope the guys we have explode and become what we expect them to be.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, we are good with all the receivers we have. Without an elite O-Line, we cannot run the ball and protect Sam, so it will not matter who we're throwing the ball to because Sam will be running for his life or throwing from his back. People need to remember Fisher is a run-first coach. The run game will open the passing game. When defenses don't need to worry about our running attack, they can drop 6-7 guys into coverage and blanket everything we try to throw at them. In 2014 we need to be on the offensive and it starts with an elite O-Line, running the ball and forcing defenses to stack the box which will force man coverage on our receivers. You cannot tell me our current receivers are too slow and can't beat man coverage. For better or worse, this is the formula our rivals use and you can see it's successful. Then you add our stout/dominating defense and we become a team others will fear. I like where we are headed. Get on the bus because it's going to one hell of a ride in 2014!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
No way Les... This was a freaking COMPLETE AND TOTAL REBUILD. Period.
You wait long enough, it will always be a rebuild (especially if you define the term by player percentages).

Why? All teams are constantly rebuilding. You have to. That's why even a Super Bowl winning team gets 7 draft picks for an eventual roster of 53.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They drafted four WRs the last 2 years.

Signed a TE/WR hybrid to a big money contract.

And spent valuable resources (money and 1st round pick) on offensive linemen to make the offense go.

I don't think Jeff Fisher and "lack of offense" go together.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You wait long enough, it will always be a rebuild (especially if you define the term by player percentages).

Why? All teams are constantly rebuilding. You have to. That's why even a Super Bowl winning team gets 7 draft picks for an eventual roster of 53.

I was specifically talking about The Complete and Total REBUILD that Fisher and Co had to do upon taking the job with the Rams.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I was specifically talking about The Complete and Total REBUILD that Fisher and Co had to do upon taking the job with the Rams.
Yes, I know. And my comment still stands. I don't believe it was a complete and total rebuild, but it's not worth getting into again.

But of course, as time goes on, players are going to keep getting replaced. That's just the nature of the NFL.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yes, I know. And my comment still stands. I don't believe it was a complete and total rebuild, but it's not worth getting into again.

But of course, as time goes on, players are going to keep getting replaced. That's just the nature of the NFL.

:ROFLMAO:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

True, but replacing well over 40 in a two year span is a little more than a phasing out process.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
True, but replacing well over 40 in a two year span is a little more than a phasing out process.
True. And I've long since admitted that if your definition of rebuild is based around player percentages, then it is a rebuild.

But certainly, that whole argument isn't something that needs to be rehashed for you.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
True. And I've long since admitted that if your definition of rebuild is based around player percentages, then it is a rebuild.

But certainly, that whole argument isn't something that needs to be rehashed for you.
You have a problem with hash? I can't tell you the amount of times I've rehashed hash.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
<What does this mean?

You stack the box, you open up your defense over the top by removing your safeties from deep coverage. We'll beat you deep if you do that.

Really?

He dropped 1 TD, and was bullied at the LOS on another when the db dropped an easy int because Quick just stopped.

Yes. Really. Because he got open to drop that TD. And I seem to recall him making a 73 yard catch. He was also open deep on the play where Stacy blew the blitz pick-up on Mikell leading to a pick six. Stop being a wet blanket.

Last edited:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
You have a problem with hash? I can't tell you the amount of times I've rehashed hash.
If you've had to rehash hash, was it really hash in the first place?

And refried beans? If I didn't want them when they were fried the first time, why would I want them now?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree about Carolina. Quick got open against zone coverage, not man to man - and Carolina's back 4 is dependent on their front 7's success. Their secondary doesn't rival Seahawks or Cards, the two teams that we need to beat 4x if we want a chance at sniffing the playoffs. The Niners secondary isn't a strong as those 2 but they're still stout.

He got open over the top against zone. Which is more or less the same thing as man to man here:

I'm fairly sure X has already posted Givens burning Sherman and Quick burning SF. Then, of course, Givens also burned Arizona in 2012.

So no, I'm not worried.

If we run the ball, we can throw it on those teams with Sam. As long as we protect him.