Fisher says Rams-Browns draft deal a possibility

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Vinnie Iyer
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1qRiy17Fs

The Cleveland Browns hold the 2012 NFL Draft's No. 4 overall selection, at least for now. With many offensive needs to address, they've quickly become the first round's biggest wild card.

For help with their decision, they've already reached out twice the St. Louis Rams.

Despite the recent reaffirmation by general manager Tom Heckert that they are satisfied with Colt McCoy as their top quarterback for 2012, [hil]the Browns made a futile inquiry into the availability of Rams starter Sam Bradford, ESPNCleveland.com reports[/hil]. Bradford, coming off an injury-riddled second season, played for Browns coach Pat Shurmur, then the Rams' offensive coordinator, as a rookie in 2010.

According to the report, after the lack of mutual interest in a potential Bradford deal, the Browns then eyed moving up into No. 2 overall spot formerly held by the Rams — before St. Louis traded down to No. 6 in a blockbuster trade with the Washington Redskins.

Even though that swap didn't work out with the Browns, Rams coach Jeff Fisher told reporters at the NFL owners meetings in Palm Beach, Fla., not to rule out the potential of a different draft-day deal between the teams.

"They were very fruitful discussions," Fisher said, per the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "They are a potential trade partner with us."

The Browns, regardless of what they've said publicly about McCoy, are interested in adding a promising young quarterback. Now that Bradford, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III aren't options, they are bringing in Ryan Tannehill — the consensus third-best QB prospect — for a pre-draft visit.

Although it would be a considered a stretch for them to take Tannehill at No. 4, they are also armed with other first-round ammunition — the No. 22 overall pick which they acquired from the Atlanta Falcons.

For the Browns to force the Rams' hand into trading back up, they must make them think they would take the Rams' likely target at No. 6 — Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon. It's not unreasonable given the fact Cleveland is desperate to put skilled playmakers around McCoy.

If the Browns trade down to No. 6, it will still assure them a clear shot at Tannehill if they so desired — two picks ahead of the quarterback-needy Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins' offense coordinator is Mike Sherman — Tannehill's former coach at Texas A&M.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah........ bullshit. I have not heard ONE report of Fisher or Snead wanting to target Blackmon. Not once. Yet, every report you read out there from the media says the Rams essentially WILL target him. It's gotten to the point that I'm convinced they won't take him even if he's there.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, this would be a stupid move to trade away a pick to move up two spots and maybe get the same guy you'd get anyways. This is BS like you said X. I think Fisher may be playing a little poker with the boys. :ww:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't think the Rams will trade up with the Browns, because they could have just traded with them in the first place.

I think the Rams traded to #6 because they figured 99% says it goes Luck, RG3, Kalil... And the next few guys, Richardson, Blackmon, Claiborne, etc, are all guys that they like and would be happy to take any of them.

I don't think they will pass up any of them (unless they trade back) if they are on the board, unless Kalil somehow slips to 6.... But I get the feeling it goes Luck, RG3, Kalil, Tannehill (if Ponder can be grabbed early, so can Tannehill), Richardson/Claiborne, and then the Rams get Blackmon....

Unless they truly feel that he isn't that good.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If the Rams trade back up, as I suggested before, it would be for Kalil only, IMO. But I think they will sit tight.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Besides the Browns 30 other teams could also be trade partners. They need a combine to measure the speed of these rumors based on a single comment.Don't see a trade up for #4. Maybe down to #22, but Rams would have to be knocked over by the offer.

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think we would have to give up to trade back up to #4? Me thinks it would most of what the Rams got from the Skins.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not that I really care about the Browns or Dolphins, but they should consider Brandon Weedon. Actually, if Weedon went to the Browns, that would be pretty good for them.

Richardson, Weedon, and a WR (Jeffery?) in the 2nd. Doesn't sound too bad.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Yamahopper said:
Besides the Browns 30 other teams could also be trade partners. They need a combine to measure the speed of these rumors based on a single comment.Don't see a trade up for #4. Maybe down to #22, but Rams would have to be knocked over by the offer.

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think we would have to give up to trade back up to #4? Me thinks it would most of what the Rams got from the Skins.
1+ where still going to get a star player in any position at 6 so why trade ? the only player I would think about trading up for us Kalil but I still wouldn't

steferfootball

Starter
DR RAM said:
If the Rams trade back up, as I suggested before, it would be for Kalil only, IMO. But I think they will sit tight.
A few other people have all but said it, but this post gets straight to the point. One of the elite talents will be sitting there at number 6. We just get the 'leftovers' (so to speak) from the elite talent...fine by me.

If Kalil is there, I'd take a hard look at it.

NFL TRADE VALUE CHART:

#4 = 1800

#6 = 1600

1800-1600=200

200 is the 76th overall selection, or the 14th pick in the third round...Rams hold the 65th pick which is equal to 265, so the Rams could give number 6 and some change to get number 4, or send number 6 and #65 and get #4 and some change back.

Either way, if the Rams can get a deal like that for Kalil, I'd be happy.

Now if we traded down to #22, there is some value to be had. I'm not sure the Browns would want to move that much for a guy who could very well be available later. Jacksonville could be a cheaper trade partner, and they just drafted Gabbert. Right after that the Dolphins draft, and they could be wanting Tannehill.

#22 puts us right in prime position to get a receiver, ideally Flloyd.

steferfootball

Starter
Yamahopper said:
I just posted the NFL Trade Value charts, and the summary is to move up from 6 to 4 would take the 76th overall selection, or the 14th pick in the third round. To me that is not a bad deal if Kalil is there.

The move from 6 to 2 is vastly different than from 6 to 4...the values are not at all proportional to the draft position.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
steferfootball said:
Yamahopper said:
I just posted the NFL Trade Value charts, and the summary is to move up from 6 to 4 would take the 76th overall selection, or the 14th pick in the third round. To me that is not a bad deal if Kalil is there.

The move from 6 to 2 is vastly different than from 6 to 4...the values are not at all proportional to the draft position.

I think there's no way the Browns do it for a 3rd. Min. they want would be a first next year. Would you have the Rams trade down a couple spots for a 3rd or fourth?

IMO if the Rams make a trade it would be it will be the 33rd to some team that drools over a player that slipped out of the 1st round.

As far as Kalil he would be the target, but the Rams have already owned his draft rights and swapped him away for 2 firsts and a 2nd. And that's what the Rams have spent in the past trying to replace Pace. Ironic.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm guessing this is all posturing. But if the Vikes passed on Kalil, I wouldn't be shocked at a trade.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
steferfootball said:
Yamahopper said:

I think there's no way the Browns do it for a 3rd. Min. they want would be a first next year. Would you have the Rams trade down a couple spots for a 3rd or fourth?

IMO if the Rams make a trade it would be it will be the 33rd to some team that drools over a player that slipped out of the 1st round.

As far as Kalil he would be the target, but the Rams have already owned his draft rights and swapped him away for 2 firsts and a 2nd. And that's what the Rams have spent in the past trying to replace Pace. Ironic.
I think it would take a 2 at least. The Browns seem to love to stick it to us any chance they get.

steferfootball

Starter
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
steferfootball said:
Yamahopper said:

I think it would take a 2 at least. The Browns seem to love to stick it to us any chance they get.
I don't really know what it is, but I've sensed hostility from the Browns fanbase toward the Rams. Surly they are not mad that we left in 1945? :razzed: Perhaps I just know angry fans? Or maybe I'm just crazy (a distinct possibility).

Anyways, @Yama, I'd do it if the circumstances are right. Going from 6 to 8 is probably a bad deal in this draft, cause we loose out on the elite talent this draft offers. Right now I feel like we are right on the edge of the elite vs very good talent from this draft. 4 to 6 isn't such a bad deal for the Browns, cause they could still get one of the elite players in the draft, and they don't need a LT at all. Of course the Browns would want more, it is only natural, but IMO they could benefit from the trade down.

They could trade down for Tannehill, but I don't know if that is a good decision or not.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Ah........ bullshit. I have not heard ONE report of Fisher or Snead wanting to target Blackmon. Not once. Yet, every report you read out there from the media says the Rams essentially WILL target him. It's gotten to the point that I'm convinced they won't take him even if he's there.

100%. no way fisher is picking a wr that high. that's why we have to hope the browns or bucs take him.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
steferfootball said:
Yamahopper said:

Yea but you gtta understand moving 6 to 2...is different when there's a franchise QB I was listing to Pat Kirwan and he said in the this situation the value charts useless bc other teams were involved...let's just say there were no franchise QBs in this years draft if you want to move from 6 to 2 then you have to go by the trade value chart

steferfootball

Starter
BuiltRamTough said:
steferfootball said:
Yamahopper said:

Yea but you gtta understand moving 6 to 2...is different when there's a franchise QB I was listing to Pat Kirwan and he said in the this situation the value charts useless bc other teams were involved...let's just say there were no franchise QBs in this years draft if you want to move from 6 to 2 then you have to go by the trade value chart
Oh yeah, I agree. The trade value chart is just a guideline.

Anyways, I saw this and thought it was funny.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 25652.html

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
RamFan503 said:
I'm guessing this is all posturing. But if the Vikes passed on Kalil, I wouldn't be shocked at a trade.

If they pass on Kalil then I still feel very good about him falling to #6. Browns have Joe Thomas, and Bucs are fine with Donald Penn(I think).

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I would be willing to give them a second round pick if Kalil or possibly Richardson is there. But I would definitely not give them a 1st. I actually believe it's more probable that the Rams trade down. In fact at the end of this article: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 4efa8.html Fisher basically said that it's a possibility they move up, but more realistic that they would move down.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
JdashSTL said:
RamFan503 said:

If they pass on Kalil then I still feel very good about him falling to #6. Browns have Joe Thomas, and Bucs are fine with Donald Penn(I think).

This. The Browns aren't going to spend too much money on a right tackle, and the Bucs have a ton of money invested in Penn. If he falls past Minnesota, we could very well end up getting him. I doubt that he'll fall past the Vikings, though.