Fisher: Sam Bradford can become best QB in league

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Rams think they already have their franchise guy in Bradford.

“There’s a number of friends of mine in the league that know the league, and I had one of them tell me during the process that they thought Sam may be one of the better quarterbacks—or the best quarterback—in the league … he just hasn’t had a chance to prove it yet,” Fisher said on ESPN’s “Mike & Mike in the Morning.” “That weighed very heavily in my opinion. Very, very, impressive player. I think he has a tremendous upside.’’

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1s2VDYxix

********************************************************************************

And clearly Fisher has to have a ton of faith in what kind of QB Bradford really is. He's staking his future success on his evaluation of Sam, so if he had even a shadow of a doubt about Sam's ability, he would have hedged his bets and taken RGIII (or entertained trade offers for Sam), IMO. I think it's important to drill down to that instead of glossing over it. Head Coaches seldom put their ass on the line for a QB they don't think has the tools. Not in today's NFL anyway.

steferfootball

Starter
X said:

“There’s a number of friends of mine in the league that know the league, and I had one of them tell me during the process that they thought Sam may be one of the better quarterbacks—or the best quarterback—in the league … he just hasn’t had a chance to prove it yet,” Fisher said on ESPN’s “Mike & Mike in the Morning.” “That weighed very heavily in my opinion. Very, very, impressive player. I think he has a tremendous upside.’’

********************************************************************************

And clearly Fisher has to have a ton of faith in what kind of QB Bradford really is. He's staking his future success on his evaluation of Sam, so if he had even a shadow of a doubt about Sam's ability, he would have hedged his bets and taken RGIII (or entertained trade offers for Sam), IMO. I think it's important to drill down to that instead of glossing over it. Head Coaches seldom put their ass on the line for a QB they don't think has the tools. Not in today's NFL anyway.
Completely agree with you. Fisher is very respected in this league. For him to put his reputation on the line in this way speaks volumes of his opinion.

Anonymous

steferfootball said:
Completely agree with you. Fisher is very respected in this league. For him to put his reputation on the line in this way speaks volumes of his opinion.

Unfortunately all it means is that he believes it.

No guarantees obviously.

Though, Sam has it in him to be very good. It will be interesting to watch.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
steferfootball said:

No guarantees obviously.

I'm looking on my calendar, and I'm not seeing anything that says "Redundant Day." Did I not get the memo?

Of course it's his opinion, but I don't see what's so unfortunate about it. Especially when it's a *shared* opinion.

There’s a number of friends of mine in the league that know the league, and I had one of them tell me during the process that they thought Sam may be one of the better quarterbacks—or the best quarterback—in the league...

I think everybody wants it to be guaranteed, and we certainly all hope it to be, but the primary point I was making was that Fisher is more or less staking his reputation on his opinion. If he thought that there was any reason to doubt Bradford's base skill set (and potential), he probably wouldn't have shot down every opportunity presented to move him, and he certainly wouldn't have gone on record as saying that Bradford is the primary reason for him taking the job here.

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
zn said:
steferfootball said:

No guarantees obviously.

I'm looking on my calendar, and I'm not seeing anything that says "Redundant Day." Did I not get the memo?

Of course it's his opinion, but I don't see what's so unfortunate about it. Especially when it's a *shared* opinion.

There’s a number of friends of mine in the league that know the league, and I had one of them tell me during the process that they thought Sam may be one of the better quarterbacks—or the best quarterback—in the league...

I think everybody wants it to be guaranteed, and we certainly all hope it to be, but the primary point I was making was that Fisher is more or less staking his reputation on his opinion. If he thought that there was any reason to doubt Bradford's base skill set (and potential), he probably wouldn't have shot down every opportunity presented to move him, and he certainly wouldn't have gone on record as saying that Bradford is the primary reason for him taking the job here.
Lol. My bad

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LoL indeed. Every time I see Chubby D, I get a chuckle. Love that guy.

joeybittick

Rookie
X said:

I agree not only are those words exciting, but they are comforting to me as well. I know I should not be this way, but i have to admit I have had a doubt or two creep in at times. Hearing that Fisher has that kind of confidence in him helps me sleep a little easier.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well there isn't any doubt that my opinion is that maybe Fisher is correct.

Clearly the ability to walk into a franchise that had it's Q-back in place and young to boot was a deciding factor for the Fish.

Bradford HAS proven he can play in the league ,he has played hurt and he is dating a Supre Modle ergo I concur and add my redundancy to the concensus of redund.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Bradford is going to light the world on fire. There's not a doubt in my mind, once he gets the weapons he needs, he's going to make opposing defenses look stupid.

Anonymous

Here's what I think Fisher is doing.

I don't think it has anything to do with his rep. He could easily take a hit on this if Bradford doesn't pan out, and no one would think the worse of him. So that's not an issue. Or if he turns out to be a good qb or a very good qb and not the best in the league, Fisher doesn't stand to lose anything. It's coachtalk.

What he is doing is the same thing Harbaugh did with Smith at this point last year.

He's building his qb's confidence.

He unquestionably saw how Bradford got beat down last year and that including a little beating to his confidence.

So he is indicating he stands behind him, believes in him, and is pumping him up some.

Which is good. Good move.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Here's what I think Fisher is doing,the same thing Vermeil did with Jaworski and Kurt Warner, and what John Fox didn't do with Tim Tebow, and what Andy Reid did with Donovan McNabb and Bud Grant did with Joe Kapp and George Allen didn't do with Billy Kilmer nor Sonny Jurgensen.

Is that redundant enough for redundant day?

Yeah he's building the kid up cuz he intends to go with him next year and it's his style ,he was KNOWN for his relationship with McNair ,IMO he's strating to develop THAT relationship.
Hope it works as well for us as it did for the 49r's

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
After the last 2 years, and particularly 2011... Sam's already experienced some of the worst football around him.

Things are about to slow down real nicely for him going forward.