Fisher: Joyner to play slot, not much safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yeah, that's been reported. I'm still not sure who our FS will be this year. Another year of McLeod? Maybe Cody is ready to step up?

FRO

Legend
He is a wildcard DB. I don't think he will have a set position. This won't be your traditional defense. This is the GSOT defense edition.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i was hoping he'd be used like mathieu - not primarily nickle

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
i was hoping he'd be used like mathieu - not primarily nickle
I think he'll be moved around all over the field, but on nickle situations, he'll be the nickle back.

n-nickelback-16579001-634-634.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think we should play him at FS most of the time because he is an upgrade to McLeod/Cody and E.J. Gaines is starting slot material. Why not try it?

Alan

Legend
Ramrasta trying to split the baby:
I think we should play him at FS most of the time because he is an upgrade to McLeod/Cody and E.J. Gaines is starting slot material. Why not try it?
So who would you want us to play the nickel? I hope you're not thinking McGee because he was really bad last year.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
So who would you want us to play the nickel? I hope you're not thinking McGee because he was really bad last year.
He was saying Gaines would be the nickle corner. But McGee was a guy everyone knew would need to be coached up. Maybe he can start to turn it around this year

Alan

Legend
brokeu91 picking Gaines:
He was saying Gaines would be the nickle corner. But McGee was a guy everyone knew would need to be coached up. Maybe he can start to turn it around this year
I hope your right about Gaines broke but after looking at the OSU game, posted in the other thread, I see why he was a 6th rounder. Look at that whole game and tell me if you can find an instance where he actually tackled an opposing player. I'm not talking about times where he was a heat seeking missile and used his shoulder to knock the guy down, I'm talking about an actual wrap your arms around a guy and bring him down tackle. Then find an instance where he defeated a block. Does he need to do that playing centerfield? Probably not but Fisher (as everyone keeps telling me but I don't actually see it on the field) likes to have his safeties play FS and SS. No way can this guy play SS effectively IMO. He also has crappy small hands. I can't remember exactly but I think he should have had two INTs that he muffed.

What I do like about him is his coverage skills. There not great but not bad either. Is that enough? I'm not sure if that's enough but what I am sure of is McGee played horribly last year and counting on a 6th round player to be a productive starter is folly.

I think Joyner is our only real option at nickel and that's why they're penciling him in there.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I hope your right about Gaines broke but after looking at the OSU game, posted in the other thread, I see why he was a 6th rounder. Look at that whole game and tell me if you can find an instance where he actually tackled an opposing player. I'm not talking about times where he was a heat seeking missile and used his shoulder to knock the guy down, I'm talking about an actual wrap your arms around a guy and bring him down tackle. Then find an instance where he defeated a block. Does he need to do that playing centerfield? Probably not but Fisher (as everyone keeps telling me but I don't actually see it on the field) likes to have his safeties play FS and SS. No way can this guy play SS effectively IMO. He also has crappy small hands. I can't remember exactly but I think he should have had two INTs that he muffed.

What I do like about him is his coverage skills. There not great but not bad either. Is that enough? I'm not sure if that's enough but what I am sure of is McGee played horribly last year and counting on a 6th round player to be a productive starter is folly.

I think Joyner is our only real option at nickel and that's why they're penciling him in there.

What about Greg Reid?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Well a silver lining; tackling is a technique that can be taught.

Coverage skills, on the other hand, have a lot more to do with god given talents like speed and quickness.

Alan

Legend

duckhunter

Starter
My thoughts are Greg Reid, Joyner and Gaines will be in heavy competition for the slot/3rd CB. They're similar players and one will shine more but we keep two.

McGee needs to stay on the outside where his deep speed is his best qualifying asset.

Alan

Legend
CGI_Ram looking on the bright side:
Well a silver lining; tackling is a technique that can be taught.

Coverage skills, on the other hand, have a lot more to do with god given talents like speed and quickness.
Tackling can be taught but it's not that he isn't a good tackler, he didn't even try to tackle a guy. I think that's because he he has no ability to bring a guy down at speed with his small frame. He'd probably come out second best in those scenarios.

But you're right about coverage skills and taking a page out of your book, there was a HOF DB who couldn't tackle interviewing picks on the first day of the draft at ESPN. :)

lockdnram21

Legend
what about Mcgee at Fs. he seems like he would excel in williams defense. he has great closing speed. im not saying they should do it, but williams did turn Malcom Jenkins into one. It could be a option. Maybe next year Christian Bryant will be the guy once he has a year of coaching and getti g that ankle back to 100%

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tackling can be taught but it's not that he isn't a good tackler, he didn't even try to tackle a guy. I think that's because he he has no ability to bring a guy down at speed with his small frame. He'd probably come out second best in those scenarios.

But you're right about coverage skills and taking a page out of your book, there was a HOF DB who couldn't tackle interviewing picks on the first day of the draft at ESPN. :)

:LOL: Good point!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still think that EJ Gaines might be better off at FS.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

So you are basing your entire evaluation of a player who made 1st Team All conference honors in BOTH the SEC and the Big 12 in his time at Mizzou on ONE GAME?

As someone who has watched him play his entire career at Mizzou, this guy was one of the steals of the draft. If you weren't impressed with the OSU game, then I suggest you go find a tape of the Texas A&M game where he shut down the #7 overall pick in this years draft. Mike Evans , yeah, the 6'5 WR had an "impressive" 4 catches for a whopping 8 yards.

Gaines shut him down period. And that game was more indicative of what this guy brings week in week out.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Sure hope someone beats Joyner for the nickel CB spot, don't like the thought of trading up in the second round for a nickel CB IMO.