Favorite Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, I have a 1a. and a 1b....Wade Phillips and Sean McVay. I'm not talking long term, but Son of Bum is my favorite today. How could you not love the guy? You can tell his players love him, with even Todd Gurley taking an instagram pic with him recently.

When players celebrate with him, they are very gentle because they love the old guy. I remember his Dad, Bum Phillips, when he coached for the Houston Oilers back in the day, with Dan Pastorini, Earl Campbell, and Billy White shoes Johnson. Heck, Wade started singing the Oilers fight song at a press conference two days ago, which I know intimately because I used to attend a lot of Oiler games at the Astrodome in the 70's. I can still see the old electronic game board with with snorting bull, and lyrics as the song was sung.

I appreciate him and will miss him when he's gone.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
0B631FD0-924E-46D3-AF1C-5F126FFE29E8.jpeg

“what am I, chopped liver?”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Favorite coach? I liked Martz. Loved him. I've always admired innovation. But, then he lost it. I was never a big Vermiel guy. The emotional stuff just doesn't fit with me. Seemed weirdly uncomfortable watching him cry. Other than them I was Luke warm on guys like Malavasey and Robinson. Robinson was as bad as ground Chuck. I never got excited about coaches that ran all day. Dickerson was great back then but watching him run all game got boring.

So far I am gonna say McVay. But, as I learned from Mad Mike, things can turn in a few years. I love Sean's pedigree and his youth. Plus he doesn't have Martz's ego. I really think McVay is the real deal and for the first time in a long time am feeling like my team is in good hands.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Favorite coach? I liked Martz. Loved him. I've always admired innovation. But, then he lost it. I was never a big Vermiel guy. The emotional stuff just doesn't fit with me. Seemed weirdly uncomfortable watching him cry. Other than them I was Luke warm on guys like Malavasey and Robinson. Robinson was as bad as ground Chuck. I never got excited about coaches that ran all day. Dickerson was great back then but watching him run all game got boring.

So far I am gonna say McVay. But, as I learned from Mad Mike, things can turn in a few years. I love Sean's pedigree and his youth. Plus he doesn't have Martz's ego. I really think McVay is the real deal and for the first time in a long time am feeling like my team is in good hands.
You make some good points. St. Dick is supposed to be untouchable, and I do appreciate that he won a title for us, but there was plenty of credit to go around that year. Then you leave? After 3 years?

Robinson is our winningest coach in Rams history- all during the Niner dynasty era. But I remember being frustrated by his style, as well. By the way, both coaches grew up in the SF Bay Area. (Robinson from my HS.)

But it is another coach with Bay Area connections that is by far my favorite coach, already. Coach McVay has the innovation. He has great energy. The respect of the players. And he is just getting started!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
George Allen, but I think Sean is gonna blow by every past Rams coach in very short order.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thank you @jrry32 however, gentlemen this should not be debatable, only one has led us to the promise land...Eyes Left or:
s9.jpg

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was never a big Vermiel guy. The emotional stuff just doesn't fit with me. Seemed weirdly uncomfortable watching him cry.

Funny that is one thing I admired about Vermeil because I could never do it, never liked showing emotion either (thought it showed weakness), like Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll & Bud Grant for example, however, it worked for Vermeil and James Thomas Anthony Valvano as well.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeff Fisher.
Because he was so terrible the Rams turned everything upside down to remove his stink and make this team what it is today

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher.
Because he was so terrible the Rams turned everything upside down to remove his stink and make this team what it is today
Always one. A veritable Snickers bar in the pool...

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
1) Dick Vermeil
2) George Allen
3) Sean McVay (Yes! Already!)
4) Den-The-Coach (But, Very well could Top this list
in the Very Near Future!)!

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Favorite Rams coach was Martz, however McVay is closing the gap quickly.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
There is no reason McVay shouldn't surpass Robinson 79 wins (75 reg season and 4 play off wins) to be the Rams winnest coach, right?

If the Rams can keep the talent level going into the future, no reason why he cant.