Favorite artist taken before there time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
All the ones mentioned above and...

Mozart - 34
Buddy Holly - 22
Sam Cooke - 33
Otis Redding - 26
Jim Morrison - 27
Ronnie Van Zant - 29
Keith Moon - 32
Bon Scott - 33

I could go on and on with this tragic list but don't want to hog this thread too much. Each loss of life has stung in its own way. Is there a more dangerous profession than being a musician? Bad eating habits, weird working hours, drugs, alcohol, sycophants who push drugs and alcohol, too many flights in rickety planes, the boredom of playing one show a night and then sitting in a hotel room which leads to self-destructive behavior, and on and on. It's a wonder some musicians like Keith Richards make it to old age.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
All the ones mentioned above and...

Mozart - 34
Buddy Holly - 22
Sam Cooke - 33
Otis Redding - 26
Jim Morrison - 27
Ronnie Van Zant - 29
Keith Moon - 32
Bon Scott - 33

I could go on and on with this tragic list but don't want to hog this thread too much. Each loss of life has stung in its own way. Is there a more dangerous profession than being a musician? Bad eating habits, weird working hours, drugs, alcohol, sycophants who push drugs and alcohol, too many flights in rickety planes, the boredom of playing one show a night and then sitting in a hotel room which leads to self-destructive behavior, and on and on. It's a wonder some musicians like Keith Richards make it to old age.

Being a full-time author is a dangerous and tragic profession as well. See Ernest Hemingway, Jack London, Edgar Allen Poe, Herman Melville, etc.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Being a full-time author is a dangerous and tragic profession as well. See Ernest Hemingway, Jack London, Edgar Allen Poe, Herman Melville, etc.

True that! But I'm hoping that George R.R. Martin, who will be 66 in September, lives long enough to complete his 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. :)

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
True that! But I'm hoping that George R.R. Martin, who will be 66 in September, lives long enough to complete his 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. :)
I remember what a bummer it was to have Douglas Adams die after the way the last Hitchhiker's Guide book ended.

The Adams estate authorized an author named Eoin Colfer to write a 6th book (7th if you count the short story "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe"), but while good and based on Adams' notes, you can tell it wasn't Adams himself writing.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I remember what a bummer it was to have Douglas Adams die after the way the last Hitchhiker's Guide book ended.

The Adams estate authorized an author named Eoin Colfer to write a 6th book (7th if you count the short story "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe"), but while good and based on Adams' notes, you can tell it wasn't Adams himself writing.
Yeah, I agree on Douglas Adams. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is definitely one of the funniest books I've ever read, perhaps THE funniest. The other in the series wasn't quite as funny, but all were good.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Michael Hutchence. The Jim Morrison of the 80's.

Pho Kadat

Rookie
Dimebag
Jeff Hanneman
Chuck Schuldiner
Cliff Burton

If just one, then for me its easily Dimebag Darrell. I don't know if Damageplan was ever going to be a big as Pantera was in its prime, but the dude had a lot of solos left to play.

Cliff would be my runner up. It would be interesting to see what Metalliica would be like in another universe where Cliff survived that bus accident.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I just posted a song related to this over on the Song of The Day thread:

Andrew Wood, lead singer of the Seattle band Mother Love Bone. With the release of their first album only weeks away, Wood OD'd on heroin, suffered an aneurism, and was taken to the hospital and put on life support. When it was determined he'd never come out of his coma, they removed him from life support and he died.

Wood was one of those guys that just had that "it" factor, and if he had lived, I think Mother Love Bone would have been f-king huge. It's interesting to contemplate how the Seattle music scene of the early 90's would have been different had Wood survived and Mother Love Bone had continued on. For one thing, there wouldn't have been a Pearl Jam, at least as we know it, as two of its members (Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament) were in Mother Love Bone. I'm also wondering if they would have sucked so much air out of the room that the grunge scene might have not taken off or had less of an impact than it ultimately did. The premature end of Mother Love Bone definitely created a vacuum.

Whatever the case, it's just a tragic shame that Wood couldn't defeat his demons, because his death robbed the world of a great talent and probably robbed us of a significant number of great albums that would have ensued.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
2Pac and The Notorious B.I.G. That is all.

RK3

Professional Lurker
Name
Russ
We're creating a pretty long list. One that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned already (I think. Might've missed it. I've been known not to read too thoroughly.) is Heath Ledger.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughan. I lucked out to see him when I was 11 years old back in 1991 at a Chandler Ostrich Festival. I knew at that time and after his unfortunate passing in the helicopter crash he was and will always be 'special'.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Shoot I want to add a few more...

Paul Kossoff, Keith Moon, Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone, wow would Pearl Jam ever had existed?), Randy Rhoades, Cliff Burton, Morrison, Hendrix, Ronnie James Dio, James Dewar, Dimebag Darrell Abbott and Layne Staley.

See just a few more.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
We're creating a pretty long list. One that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned already (I think. Might've missed it. I've been known not to read too thoroughly.) is Heath Ledger.

Oh absolutely! Watched 'The Dark Knight' once again over the weekend. His work as the Joker was amazing.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Chris Farley. Grew up on his movies... and even though they were dumb, they were some of the best funny movies I can remember from growing up.

Trivia: Did you know that Chris Farley was going to be the original Shrek voice? He died before they finished recording on the film.