Extend Baker Mayfield, or wait?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

sloramfan

Starter
thanks for the avatar!!!

sign or wait?.. good question, as tough questions are...

he looked pretty good last year, soo.. i'd lean toward giving it one more year just to be sure...

kinda spooked after the goff ride.. we really don't know enough as fans to make the tough choice IMHO..

baker commercials? some are unwatchable, others (due to the unwatchables) bring a slight smie to my face...

go rams

slo

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every team hits and misses dieter. Overall point stands they've demonstrated an excellent approach and one I admire.
That they overpaid their QB a year early? I thought you were opposed to that idea

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That they overpaid their QB a year early? I thought you were opposed to that idea
I did say lock up the future Hall of Fame types in my first post in this thread. Brady is an obvious exception. Seems like you're trolling for a fight here.

TexasRam

Legend
So Cleveland goes through a 20 year QB curse and finally find their QB who leads them to not only 48 point playoff win vs the Steelers but also a 5 point loss to the Super Bowl Chiefs and some of you don't want to lock that QB up?

Young proven QBs do not grow on trees folks.

Ask a Cleveland fan.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Cleveland goes through a 20 year QB curse and finally find their QB who leads them to not only 48 point playoff win vs the Steelers but also a 5 point loss to the Super Bowl Chiefs and some of you don't want to lock that QB up?

Young proven QBs do not grow on trees folks.

Ask a Cleveland fan.

no they want them to let him walk then draft another qb. because they have a stunning record of drafting franchise qbs.

these people are geniuses.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did say lock up the future Hall of Fame types in my first post in this thread. Brady is an obvious exception. Seems like you're trolling for a fight here.
Im not trolling for a fight at all. The subject is whether or not to extend Mayfield early. The Patriots are a prime example of a team doing exactly that, extending the QB early, even seemingly over paying.
Conversation about extending players in general is not the same as talking extending QB. There's the QB, and everyone else.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im not trolling for a fight at all. The subject is whether or not to extend Mayfield early. The Patriots are a prime example of a team doing exactly that, extending the QB early, even seemingly over paying.
Conversation about extending players in general is not the same as talking extending QB. There's the QB, and everyone else.
Finally we get to a focal point in this exchange. I don't think being a QB auto extends a player early. If the QB is special, sure. Just like any special player rules change for them.

But paying a QB early because he is a QB? No. We gonna need to agree to disagree here dieter.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Finally we get to a focal point in this exchange. I don't think being a QB auto extends a player early. If the QB is special, sure. Just like any special player rules change for them.

But paying a QB early because he is a QB? No. We gonna need to agree to disagree here dieter.
This has been the focal point of the entire thread. Yes, there is no conversation about signing other players early. The only player you do it for is the QB. And of course you do it, otherwise you end up in the Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins situation. Like you said, the Pats did it.
QB salaries are escalating at a ridiculous pace. As for Mayfield, he's not going anywhere, so why not sign him now and save some dough? They will pick up his 5th year and will begin negotiating on a long term. I dont understand what the alternative is

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think they should cut him and go back to what they've always done at QB! ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This has been the focal point of the entire thread. Yes, there is no conversation about signing other players early. The only player you do it for is the QB. And of course you do it, otherwise you end up in the Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins situation. Like you said, the Pats did it.
QB salaries are escalating at a ridiculous pace. As for Mayfield, he's not going anywhere, so why not sign him now and save some dough? They will pick up his 5th year and will begin negotiating on a long term. I dont understand what the alternative is
Did you take a nap there in the middle of all that? :ROFLMAO:

All that stuff you list makes me even more certain I don't pay a fucking QB early. No way. Not unless the dude is special. Now you could argue the Rams paying Goff when they did had merit and I agree with that. But in general I think teams need to maximize that 4 or 5 year window. No way I shorten that shit unless the guy is so damn good that we both know it needs to happen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you take a nap there in the middle of all that? :ROFLMAO:

All that stuff you list makes me even more certain I don't pay a fucking QB early. No way. Not unless the dude is special. Now you could argue the Rams paying Goff when they did had merit and I agree with that. But in general I think teams need to maximize that 4 or 5 year window. No way I shorten that shit unless the guy is so damn good that we both know it needs to happen.
Dude, you are talking in complete circles. I get it that you're only interested in arguing but you really are being obtuse here. If you dont extend Mayfield now you either pay him 10-20% more in a year, or start over at QB. Neither idea makes any sense. But I guess thats par for the course.
Like the guy or not doesnt matter. He's still somewhere near top 10-15

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, you are talking in complete circles. I get it that you're only interested in arguing but you really are being obtuse here. If you dont extend Mayfield now you either pay him 10-20% more in a year, or start over at QB. Neither idea makes any sense. But I guess thats par for the course.
Like the guy or not doesnt matter. He's still somewhere near top 10-15
Re-read the posts. I made an observation. I'd pay his ass after his rookie deal is done. And that would be my take on all players who are not elite.

Why is this so hard to understand. And why can't you accept that there's a different opinion. I think it's great for example that you seem to have such a great handle on paying guys early. I simply would not do that. But I look forward to you pressing on this even more for no good reason.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Re-read the posts. I made an observation. I'd pay his ass after his rookie deal is done. And that would be my take on all players who are not elite.

Why is this so hard to understand. And why can't you accept that there's a different opinion. I think it's great for example that you seem to have such a great handle on paying guys early. I simply would not do that. But I look forward to you pressing on this even more for no good reason.
So you’re willing to pay him 40 mill per season. Got it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i was watching a little bit of the titans vs texans game ( by accident ) and i noticed that both centers seldom took on a d line man. mostly they were the ones who helped out other o line men. i remember watching one rams game where corbett would almost always help havenstien even though he was getting an outside rush witch corbett could not help on. and blythe was left to take on a rusher with no help. just wondering if where the center has to snap the ball if he isn't a half count behind and needs help
What is important is that the defense controls where guys line up. The OL just operates on rules which, btw, are well-known among DCs. So you get that game within a game where they load it up or don't depending on what they are trying to accomplish.

Blythe is fine when he is executing combos. But teams know where they can get wins vs our line with him in there and the teams who are better up front do very well vs him when they attack those A gaps and push him around.

IMO the departure of Kromer probably had to do in part with Blythe. Blythe was his boy. But hopefully McVay is tired of seeing DL slant in at will to our backfield off the nose. I would think that Mack is the guy they bring in but he mentioned how much he loves Shanahan and SF also needs a center. So no idea what they're going to do but even if you bring someone in please draft a MFing center at some point so we can have an end to this shit show at the pivot.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you’re willing to pay him 40 mill per season. Got it.
You seem really worked up here over what should be a very simple conversation dieter. It's ok man. Sometimes people are going to disagree it's not the end of the world.

I would make him perform another season yes. All this hand wringing over a perceived additional contract cost is secondary to paying the right guy. Not to mention it seems like the cap is a mythological beast at times anyway. When it is time to pay him you pay up and structure it in the way it fits your plan.

The thought process you are championing is what gave us Goff locked up early. Boy look at those savings Detroit is enjoying. :ROFLMAO:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You seem really worked up here over what should be a very simple conversation dieter. It's ok man. Sometimes people are going to disagree it's not the end of the world.

I would make him perform another season yes. All this hand wringing over a perceived additional contract cost is secondary to paying the right guy. Not to mention it seems like the cap is a mythological beast at times anyway. When it is time to pay him you pay up and structure it in the way it fits your plan.

The thought process you are championing is what gave us Goff locked up early. Boy look at those savings Detroit is enjoying. :ROFLMAO:
Worked up? Not at all. I just keep repeating the same point while you continue to waffle and move the goal posts. And yes, the Goff extension proves the point, that signing a QB early doesnt keep the team from upgrading when they get the chance. So I agree with you that the Patriots showed that its smart to sign a QB early & that it made sense for the Rams, and yet you are still arguing. Do you have a salient point here or do you just want to continue making my point while disagreeing with yourself?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
tenor.gif