Every Rams free agent signing in March under Les Snead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Every Rams free agent signing in March under Les Snead

Over the last decade, at least, the Rams have only ever made one significant push during March free agency. It happened in 2017, aligning with the hiring of Sean McVay as head coach and the franchise attempting to make a mark in Los Angeles that would speak much louder than, “Hey Angelenos, wanna spend $110 to come see Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin down here in Carson?”

Nothing against them — and the Rams did present an interesting roster in 2017 even without free agent additions — but the two big moves that Les Snead did make that March absolutely helped LA reach the Super Bowl 22 months later.

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth and wide receiver Robert Woods even remain with the Rams four years later, a rare achievement for any outside veteran free agent signing or trade acquisition.

And yet outside of those two transactions, Snead has steered clear of most headline-worthy free agent transactions in March. We already know that LA will be up against the salary cap this year, even after they re-do deals for Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, and Matthew Stafford. But what money they do free up could be used to retain several of their key outgoing free agents, which will once again be McVay and Snead’s top priority.

Here is every notable March free agent signing, plus a couple of key trade acquisitions, since 2012:

Sign C Scott Wells
Sign WR Steve Smith
This is also the month in which Snead traded down from pick two and acquired three firsts and a second from Washington.

Smith, the one from USC and the Giants, had 14 catches for 131 yards in 2012, his final NFL season.

Sign T Jake Long
Sign TE Jared Cook
Cook’s odd road through the NFL has ended up with him peaking after turning 30.

Sign QB Shaun Hill
Not a notable signing and yet Hill started eight games for the Rams in 2014.

Sign LB Akeem Ayers
Sign DT Nick Fairley
Ayeers had 104 tackles and six sacks in 2012 with the Titans and is a good example of how linebackers can sometimes put up eye-popping tackle and sack numbers without necessarily being starting caliber.

Sort of like Cook, Fairley went to the Saints later in his career and did some of his best work. But it turned out to be only one the one season. Fairley had 6.5 sacks and 22 QB hits as a 28-year-old in 2016 but a heart condition ended his career shortly after signing a $30 million contract in 2017.

Sign CB Coty Sensabaugh
Sign DE Quinton Coples
Coples never made it to the Rams and never played again.

Sign LT Andrew Whitworth
Sign WR Robert Woods
Sign CB Kayvon Webster
Sign OLB Connor Barwin
Sign RB Lance Dunbar
Sign QB Aaron Murray
Sign DT Tyrunn Walker
By far the most active March in Snead’s career, but as it turns out, only two of the signings had a major impact on the franchise.

Sign CB Sam Shields
Trade for CB Marcus Peters
Trade for CB Aqib Talib
Sign LB Ramik Wilson
Shields is another player here who signed with the Rams just before his career ended. Same for Wilson, who only appeared in one game after 2018.

Sign S Eric Weddle
Sign QB Blake Bortles
Sign LB Clay Matthews
Weddle and Matthews would also qualify as Rams-and-done free agent signings, while Bortles is very close to it.

None

We know that 2021 will also be different than most years. The Rams have acquired Matthew Stafford, they want to reinvigorate the offense around him, and the Tom Brady-to-the-Bucs thing has hyped up a few franchises in the attempt to build a “super-team.” We know that LA doesn’t have much money to spend however, so will they be able to acquire quality starters on a discount or is it more cases of a one-and-career-is-done?

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
When you build a young team, nearly retiring veterans provide two benefits. Small, expiring contracts and teaching bridges for developing youth. Perhaps that's not the worst way to view free agency.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

2012-2016 made my eyes bleed. horrible. scott wells might have been the most useless signing of the lot.

2017, what a year. they even forgot to mention sullivan. now that's how you turn a franchise around.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler

2012-2016 made my eyes bleed. horrible. scott wells might have been the most useless signing of the lot.

2017, what a year. they even forgot to mention sullivan. now that's how you turn a franchise around.

Watkins as well. They also forgot Suh for 18. Maybe those moves weren't made in March? I can't remember

I looked it up both were in March FA so they forgot those two and Sully.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Watkins as well. They also forgot Suh for 18. Maybe those moves weren't made in March? I can't remember

I looked it up both were in March FA so they forgot those two and Sully.

Sammy and Ndamukong were signed before or during training camp.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Suh was signed end of March, Sullivan signed a 1 year in April but re-signed the next year in March and Sammy was traded to the Rams in August.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Suh was signed end of March, Sullivan signed a 1 year in April but re-signed the next year in March and Sammy was traded to the Rams in August.

Yep- Looking at that just makes me think even more The Rams stay to there base.The offensive line has so much depth & I laugh at Ram fans that don’t see that.
There is a reason Mcvay traded Jared Goff & Wolford was the starting QB against the SeaHags during the wildcard game.If you look at how the offense changed between QB’s it shows how creative O”Connell & Mcvay can get.
I look for The Rams to take either the best Edge Rusher or WR in the 2021 draft. Cam Akers should be so much better as well as HENDO.Just look at the run game.Cam Akers is not the one creating those holes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It happened in 2017, aligning with the hiring of Sean McVay as head coach and the franchise attempting to make a mark in Los Angeles that would speak much louder than, “Hey Angelenos, wanna spend $110 to come see Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin down here in Carson?”
Huh?

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Wow my memory is terrible. I couldn't remember that we traded for Sammy. *facepalm*

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shows what a dice roll it is to build a roster. I criticize these guys at times but I do acknowledge that it's a tough deal to do what they do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some/many lesser free agent signings are place holders to guarantee a roster spot and to give draft flexibility. Snead had windfall signing Woods for under market value and Whitworth as long term players.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Eric Weddle
download (7).jpg