Every pass thrown Gibson's way last year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We all want improved play at WR.

"Sam needs weapons" is a common theme around here.

But; out of the same mouth we are saying we want Gibson and Amendola back. That does not compute! Are we suggesting just give Steve Smith's roster spot to a draft pick and the WR problem is fixed?

I like Gibson but he offers nothing dynamic (speed, size, etc.) that can't be filled in other ways AND with cheaper commitment cap-wise.

We got Givens. We got Quick. We got Pettis.

Amendola brings something different to the table than the above... so maybe he's back? Otherwise; new blood please.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish Gibby the best of luck but lets upgrade.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:

But; out of the same mouth we are saying we want Gibson and Amendola back. That does not compute! Are we suggesting just give Steve Smith's roster spot to a draft pick and the WR problem is fixed?

I like Gibson but he offers nothing dynamic (speed, size, etc.) that can't be filled in other ways AND with cheaper commitment cap-wise.

Amendola brings something different to the table than the above... so maybe he's back? Otherwise; new blood please.

I think that Amendola is gone, his Injury history and $$$'s that he's after is too rich for a franchise which is re-building, Steve Smith is (hopefully) gone so we've got 2 WR positions to fill - I'd use one in FA and one for an EARLY draft pick, I'm an Austin advocate, purely for his speed and return ability, which will be a massive bonus to the rams. So in reflection I think our 2013 WR's will be as follows - in no particular order:

Givens, Quick, Gibson, Pettis, (Draft) Austin, AN Other (Any ideas??)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:

My view is that while Sam needs weapons, it doesn't mean you get rid of players that have produced. Gibby may not be the fastest (were Rice or Bruce?) but he runs good routes, gets separation, and does some good things with the ball in his hands, all while being covered by the opposition's best corners - and we played some damn good ones.

As much as everyone wants Pettis to be that guy, what has he done that would really indicate he is better than Gibson? Because he's two years younger and has "potential"?

Yes - I would like both DA and BG back but the problem with DA is likely going to be that his salary demands will outweigh his value to a young team like ours.

We need weapons. And Gibson IS a weapon. No he's not a #1 target. But give him someone on the other side that teams have to game plan for and put their best corner on, and the guy will give us a consistent 800+ per season as the #2. Take away the Bruce/Holt years. When have we had that? How many consistent contenders have more than that kind of production from their #2?

I'm not comfortable with Givens as our only semi-proven weapon plus a couple rookies and BQ who is all promise, and Pettis who gets almost NO separation from my recollection. Think about that. Givens with his 700 yards, BQ with his 150, Pettis with his 260. Add in a couple other receivers that are VERY unlikely to make a real impact in their first year, no SJ to pick up the blitzer, and, though I hate to say it, you have an offense that actually IMO steps us backward.

I don't see us going after a high profile FA - maybe I'm wrong there. So what that leaves us with is trying to find two receivers in the draft who can make an immediate impact. As good a talent evaluator as Snead seems to be, do you really see that happening?

Keep Gibby and you can go after a 2nd real TE, and one other receiving threat if you like. Bolster the O-line and suddenly, you have time for the receivers to get open, Sam can make his progressions, and we are no longer in a position of burning through receivers in a constant search for THAT guy.

jap

Legend
The front brass might opt to hold onto Gibby at least through TC for two reasons (1) he is a veteran WR who knows how to prepare for the NFL and tends to shine in the pre-season and (2) he is relatively cheap for a veteran wideout.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gibby's m'boy. Blue-collar, hard-workin', lunch-pail kinda guy. I don't know that he'll be around either though. All kinds of writing on the wall with him too, unfortunately. I said last year that this was a rebuild, and it wasn't done yet. Whether or not that's true is a matter of opinion, but by the time Fisher is done weeding out the previous regime's players, this team will be almost unrecognizable when compared to 2010-2011.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Username said:
Good shyte X. Only 7 minutes in and I can't help myself. QUINN OJINNAKA IS A WORTHLESS POS.

My thoughts on Gibby btw is that yes he is an asset, but there are disposable assets. Very knowledgeable player who can be a good role player. As stated by you previously. The question is though, at what cost? Imo he's already showed his ceiling. If he and Danny don't come back we'll have a pretty damn young receiving core though. Not considering FA moves.

Not as if we all already aren't, but if you wanna get even more excited about somebody do CG13 next. This kid will be special, and I'm not just talking about the deep balls at all. There's no doubt in my mind with this one.

And this is the exact reason why I am thinking of switching to this site full time from ClanRam. You can say things like what you said about Ojinnaka without getting slapped with the PG stick.

Anyhow its so funny Username, I paused and started reading comments and read yours and went up and seen I was at 6:58 and thinking the same exact thing myself! LMAO! And agree totally he is a disposable asset.

p.s. that little vid that you made of Jeff Fisher smoking is FUCKING HILARIOUS!! I laugh everytime I see it!! How did you do that sir?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
RamFan503 said:
CGI_Ram said:

My view is that while Sam needs weapons, it doesn't mean you get rid of players that have produced. Gibby may not be the fastest (were Rice or Bruce?) but he runs good routes, gets separation, and does some good things with the ball in his hands, all while being covered by the opposition's best corners - and we played some damn good ones.

As much as everyone wants Pettis to be that guy, what has he done that would really indicate he is better than Gibson? Because he's two years younger and has "potential"?

Yes - I would like both DA and BG back but the problem with DA is likely going to be that his salary demands will outweigh his value to a young team like ours.

We need weapons. And Gibson IS a weapon. No he's not a #1 target. But give him someone on the other side that teams have to game plan for and put their best corner on, and the guy will give us a consistent 800+ per season as the #2. Take away the Bruce/Holt years. When have we had that? How many consistent contenders have more than that kind of production from their #2?

I'm not comfortable with Givens as our only semi-proven weapon plus a couple rookies and BQ who is all promise, and Pettis who gets almost NO separation from my recollection. Think about that. Givens with his 700 yards, BQ with his 150, Pettis with his 260. Add in a couple other receivers that are VERY unlikely to make a real impact in their first year, no SJ to pick up the blitzer, and, though I hate to say it, you have an offense that actually IMO steps us backward.

I don't see us going after a high profile FA - maybe I'm wrong there. So what that leaves us with is trying to find two receivers in the draft who can make an immediate impact. As good a talent evaluator as Snead seems to be, do you really see that happening?

Keep Gibby and you can go after a 2nd real TE, and one other receiving threat if you like. Bolster the O-line and suddenly, you have time for the receivers to get open, Sam can make his progressions, and we are no longer in a position of burning through receivers in a constant search for THAT guy.
Good post.Especially the bolded paragraph.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The Rammer said:
p.s. that little vid that you made of Jeff Fisher smoking is FUCKING HILARIOUS!! I laugh everytime I see it!! How did you do that sir?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elOvO4UJ7Ls[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
[tweet]311225030891675648[/tweet]