Every once in awhile the NFL does something right: Preseason roster cutdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Rams have an opportunity to add a number of players in that final cutdown since they will be 6th in the waiver claim line. They haven't been that high for final cut-down since McVay's first yr.

When Snead talks about ways they are looking to add players to upgrade the roster, I guarantee they are looking at waivers as a significant method to add young depth for this upcoming season since they are so close to the front of the line.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't see the benefit? So they cut down like 10 players and then the rest to 53 before...now it's just combining everything into one?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't see the benefit? So they cut down like 10 players and then the rest to 53 before...now it's just combining everything into one?

In the past, they'd have to make cuts and some guys would get very few chances to show what they could do in just the one preseason game prior to first cuts, esp on teams with a new QB where he'd play with the first unit for the first half or on a D installing a new scheme where the starters needed significant snaps.

This way, everyone will get snaps, and gives the coaches more game chances with the entire roster to really pick the best guys. Also means if a guy has a soft tissue injury in TC, he's not an automatic cut as he’ll have two more games to show out.

It removes an artificial barrier and increases eval time. It also saves time for coaches/FOs because they will only have one cutdown day.

Lastly, it means only one day of anxiety for players instead of the reality show format it was.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't want to be the guys at NFL headquarters responsible for logging all the waiver claims and signings that are going to take place in a 3 or 4 day period after final cutdown!!! Them boys will be working 96 hours straight!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It will be interesting to see how teams approach this. Most will probably still cut the guys who aren't good enough early on. But they can hold on to whomever they want down to the wire which is nice.

If most teams wait until the final week for all their cuts, though, it's gonna be interesting for teams like the Rams who might have more chances on certain guys just due to the sheer number of them on the wire.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If most teams wait until the final week for all their cuts, though, it's gonna be interesting for teams like the Rams who might have more chances on certain guys just due to the sheer number of them on the wire.
It sets up an interesting situation with players flooded as FA’s like that.

I am sure the Rams will have special plans on that day to deal with it.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Hopefully, it results in better player evaluation as it should allow for my cohesion within the 2nd and 3rd team units.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In the past, they'd have to make cuts and some guys would get very few chances to show what they could do in just the one preseason game prior to first cuts, esp on teams with a new QB where he'd play with the first unit for the first half or on a D installing a new scheme where the starters needed significant snaps.

This way, everyone will get snaps, and gives the coaches more game chances with the entire roster to really pick the best guys. Also means if a guy has a soft tissue injury in TC, he's not an automatic cut as he’ll have two more games to show out.

It removes an artificial barrier and increases eval time. It also saves time for coaches/FOs because they will only have one cutdown day.

Lastly, it means only one day of anxiety for players instead of the reality show format it was.
I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. The only benefit is that it gives some players a chance to be seen in games a little longer.

I think the coaches know who is going to make it and who won’t with all but a couple of players, before any preseason game happens