Every NFL Team's Biggest Sleeper Heading into TC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

NFL Team's Biggest Sleeper Heading into Training Camps

Maurice MotonJuly 13, 2019

Los Angeles Rams: DL Greg Gaines

1. e22371ff4abaa1d3f7446c968b3086d3_crop_exact.jpg

Greg Gaines (No. 91)Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images
    The Los Angeles Rams may line up a Day 3 rookie sleeper next to four-time All-Pro Aaron Donald. The front office didn't re-sign Ndamukong Suh, who inked a one-year pact with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but general manager Les Snead added some bulk to the defensive line in April.

The Rams selected Greg Gaines in the fourth round of this year's draft; he's a 6'1", 312-pound defensive lineman who can eat up blocks and force his way into the backfield. He logged 9.5 sacks between his sophomore and senior seasons at Washington.

PerClarence Dennisof the Rams' official website, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips pointed out another quality that should help Gaines flourish in the pros—his football IQ:

"I think [Gaines] obviously works hard at what he does, I think he's a grinder, we said that, and I think he'll be stronger in pads, where you can see his power and stuff. No pads and no contact, it's hard to utilize that. I think once he gets the pads on, it'll help him. He's done a good job so far. He's a smart player and we always say smart players get better. So he's one of those guys."

Gaines could carve out a starting role alongside Donald and Michael Brockers on the interior. He's not going to rack up the impact statistics—sacks and tackles—at a high volume, but the former Husky should provide a boost to the run defense and clear pass-rush lanes for Donald.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Going to be a great battle between Sebastian Joseph-Day & Greg Gaines to see who starts come September Morn, however, both of them will rotate accordingly. Feeling good about this position going into training camp and one of Gaines greatest asset is the way he starts games and they way he finishes games, very important at the Nose Tackle position.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Going to be a great battle between Sebastian Joseph-Day & Greg Gaines to see who starts come September Morn, however, both of them will rotate accordingly. Feeling good about this position going into training camp and one of Gaines greatest asset is the way he starts games and they way he finishes games, very important at the Nose Tackle position.
I would think that over the later part of last year the main goal & objective of the SST (Snead's Scout Team) was to go find the best fitting NT in college that would magnify Aaron Donald in the best help possible way as a complimentary partner to raise AD's on field performance to even a higher level. I really never thought that any of our previous starting NT's i.e. Suh/ Westbrooks / Brockers or Smart were close to the best fits for AD.

Of course, I have no inside knowledge as to which NT's were on that 2019 prospective NT list before the draft, however currently I am very pleased with all that I have been able to find & read on Greg Gaines. In addition, I believe that the 2018 draft selection of SJ-D was also made with the same objectives in mind for AD but the Rams had higher needs & concerns elsewhere & Suh had been a dominant DL'er since his entry into the NFL & the Rams still had some lying around pocket $$$.

There is a good chance that both GG & SJD have been getting serious indoctrination from coach Wade/ Henderson on the desired new revised 2019 Ram NT post orders that if performed consistently will elevate AD's destruction in the opponents' backfield @ the same time earning them nice future paydays due to their importance to this newly redesigned younger 2019 Ram DL.

SJD who is 24 yrs old replaced the 33 yr old starting NT Suh & GG who is 23 replaced the 29 yr old Westbrooks who was the reserve NT. The 22 yr old DL'er John Franklin-Myers has replaced the 28 yr old DL Dom Easley. The 24 yr old ER Dante Fowler has replaced the 27 yr old ER John Longacre. In just those four changes this season in what was an average of near 30 yrs old .......to now being an average of 24 yrs of age. That's a very big drop ..... So there is a youth movement ongoing in this Ram DL., with the real possibility of Brockers departing this upcoming March the Ram DL stands to get even younger.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend

NFL Team's Biggest Sleeper Heading into Training Camps
Maurice MotonJuly 13, 2019

Los Angeles Rams: DL Greg Gaines

1. e22371ff4abaa1d3f7446c968b3086d3_crop_exact.jpg

Greg Gaines (No. 91)Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images
    The Los Angeles Rams may line up a Day 3 rookie sleeper next to four-time All-Pro Aaron Donald. The front office didn't re-sign Ndamukong Suh, who inked a one-year pact with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but general manager Les Snead added some bulk to the defensive line in April.

The Rams selected Greg Gaines in the fourth round of this year's draft; he's a 6'1", 312-pound defensive lineman who can eat up blocks and force his way into the backfield. He logged 9.5 sacks between his sophomore and senior seasons at Washington.

PerClarence Dennisof the Rams' official website, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips pointed out another quality that should help Gaines flourish in the pros—his football IQ:

"I think [Gaines] obviously works hard at what he does, I think he's a grinder, we said that, and I think he'll be stronger in pads, where you can see his power and stuff. No pads and no contact, it's hard to utilize that. I think once he gets the pads on, it'll help him. He's done a good job so far. He's a smart player and we always say smart players get better. So he's one of those guys."

Gaines could carve out a starting role alongside Donald and Michael Brockers on the interior. He's not going to rack up the impact statistics—sacks and tackles—at a high volume, but the former Husky should provide a boost to the run defense and clear pass-rush lanes for Donald.
I'm thinkin a very real possibility for ROY
train

Ram65

Legend
Greg Gaines is no sleeper around here. It's hard to remember a Rams fourth round pick that has as much hype as Gaines. I've been on the SJD bandwagon but, also on Gaines' bandwagon as well. Both can be valuable as early down players but, if they can move the pocket they could get some pass rushing downs as well. That's another good reason to have both fresh and ready to roll. Rams short yardage defense can use both of them too.

How about a fullback or extra blocker in short yardage.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Gaines has gotten some decent recognition for a run stopping 4th rounder. He just has that vibe like he's gonna be a solid contributor from day 1. I don't see him being a star, but a rock solid role player that is important to the team.

It feels like people are sleeping on David Long a bit. He gets lost in the conversation about the secondary with the addition of Weddle and Rapp. Being able to learn from Talib, Peters, NRC and Hill should help him make a smooth transition to the pro game. He should get a lot of playing time in preseason, can't wait to see how his movement and cover skills translate.

nighttrain

Legend
Gaines and Kaiser, both should be solid run stoppers, mayhaps more with experience. No more 5+ yards for opposition on runs up the middle

train

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gaines and Kaiser, both should be solid run stoppers, mayhaps more with experience. No more 5+ yards for opposition on runs up the middle

train

Gaines should be huge for that - absorbing blockers so they don't get to the second level. He'll make some tackles, but I see him initially at least at being much better than Suh was at helping everybody around him do their job better. And doing so affordably for four seasons.