Entering year three with McVay, Goff mastering the offensive scheme

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/entering-year-three-with-mcvay-goff-mastering-the-offensive-scheme

Entering year three with McVay, Goff mastering the offensive scheme

As a quarterback moves into his fourth year, there are certain expectations — especially for one selected at No. 1 overall.

Especially since Sean McVay took over as Los Angeles’ head coach in 2017, Jared Goff has grown into one of the better quarterbacks in the league. As McVay often likes to say, Goff is what makes the Rams’ offensive system work given what he can do on the field.

Last year alone, Goff’s numbers improved across the board — finishing with 4,688 yards passing, 32 touchdowns, and a 64.9 completion percentage.

But because Goff won’t even turn 25 until mid-October, he still has plenty of room to grow as a professional. And given that he’s about to start his third year in the offensive system, passing game coordinator Shane Waldron said he’s noticed the young signal-caller growing in his mastery of the scheme.

“The first year, he’s really learning it, last year, he had a great ownership of it, and now it’s his time to really master the system as a whole, and he’s done a great job of that,” Waldron said. "Just his big-picture understanding of every player, whether it’s a run or pass, his understanding of protections, his ability to keep working on maybe getting through, if a particular look doesn’t happen, getting through some progressions, and just really making it hard on him in that regard throughout OTAs to really force more of the strenuous situations that are going to occur, so that when they do occur in season, we are prepared and ready to attack that.”

For his part, Goff said this week that he’s feeling more comfortable and confident mainly because of the time he’s spent within the system.

“I think just the more reps you get, the more times on task, and the more times you see looks and are able to execute plays that have different defensive looks — it’s just about time,” Goff said. “Like anything else you do, it’s just about time and continuing to get better at it.”

And this is something his teammates can notice, too. While wide receiver Cooper Kupp wasn’t on the field for full-speed drills during the offseason program, he was out there for the club’s 11-on-11 jog-thru periods.

“I think the word that comes to mind is comfortability,” Kupp said. “He’s sitting back in the picket and being able to, just before the play starts, being able to get us in and out of things. I think his comfortability and just being vocal about protections, communication going from him outwards has been incredible. Just even the time I’ve been sitting on the sidelines and watching them go full speed, his command of the offense has just grown.”

“I’m excited because we’ve got six weeks here working together and then training camp — so just another good bit of time before Week 1,” Kupp continued. “So there’s time for that to continue to grow and I know that he’s going to attack it. He’s comfortable with it, but he’s not comfortable with where he’s at obviously. I think that’s the good thing about Jared, he’s going to continue to attack that.”

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
3rd year in the same system. The best offensive mind in the business implementing that system. Yeah, I like where this is going.

JOUT.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Also a huge fan of the coaching staff additions in DL Coach Eric Henderson & TE Wes Phillips with an Assistant QB Coach in Zac Robinson. In OTA's you heard or read good things about Coach "Henny" and TE Gerald Everett was the start of OTA's. Add in with Shane Waldron the passing game coordinator and QB Coach, having Zac Robinson in the QB room should only help.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
3rd year in the same system. The best offensive mind in the business implementing that system. Yeah, I like where this is going.

JOUT.gif
Serious question. When is the last time we had a QB with the same offense 3 years in a row?

jap

Legend
Fourth year? What fourth year? The first year simply cannot really count! Jared was pathetically crippled and barely hanging on to life support with The Fisher King as his coach. That first year has to be correctly seen as a red shirt year.

Time for the Man With the Golden Arm to truly begin to become fully into his own, baby!!! Depending on how things fare with The Gurley Express!, it may even be time for Jared to become the undisputed leader of the offense. I would prefer that the Gurley Man fully refurbishes and enhances his mighty engine so that he and Jared will be most explosive one-two punch in the NFL. However, if the Express! is going to be limited in any way, it's time for Jared to begin to assume full ownership as the undisputed field general.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Jared Goff's supporting cast ranked 3rd in NFL
USATSI_11919325.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | June 14, 2019 2:46 pm ET

Since Sean McVay arrived in 2017, the Los Angeles Rams have done an excellent job surrounding Jared Goff with talent. After battling through a rough rookie season in 2016, Goff has turned it around and become a two-time Pro Bowler – in part because he has playmakers on offense now.

Between Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp, Todd Gurley and even Gerald Everett, there’s no doubt Goff has one of the strongest supporting casts in the league. Bleacher Report’s Brad Gagnon recently ranked every quarterback’s group of playmakers and the Rams checked in at No. 3.

Inhabit;ord=3223928810241.4766;dc_seg=756255014

Gagnon mentions Gurley’s knee injury and Los Angeles’ quartet of receivers – Josh Reynolds included – as the main reasons for the high ranking, as well as the young tandem of Gerald Everett and Tyler Higbee at tight end.

We got evidence late last year that the Rams running game can still be effective without riding Gurley to a point of exhaustion, and it’s possible he’ll still flourish in a less intense role. If that happens, Kupp returns and either tight end can rise up, this might be the best supporting cast in the NFL. But it’s unlikely all of that happens, so for now they’re the second runner-up.

The Saints and Browns were the only teams ranked ahead of the Rams, and while it’s easy to make the case that Cleveland deserves to be higher, New Orleans’ group is more top-heavy than Los Angeles’.

The Saints are reliant on Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas, who are two of the best at their respective positions. However, beyond them, there’s a significant drop-off, unlike the Rams. You can’t go wrong with either group, but it’s reasonable to think the Rams should be higher than New Orleans.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos2image

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Been a really long time. crap whens the last time we had the same QB for 3 consecutive seasons?
Sam Bradford but he was hurt most of the time. Pretty great time to be a Rams fan. I hope most of us appreciate what Goff/McVay has done for this team. Half the NFL hasnt experienced this success in their entire history.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Saints and Browns were the only teams ranked ahead of the Rams, and while it’s easy to make the case that Cleveland deserves to be higher, New Orleans’ group is more top-heavy than Los Angeles’.

I get that everyone's feel good story is the Browns. They seem to be headed in the right direction after so many years of futility. OBJ is one of the best. Landry is good. But right now Michael Thomas is the best receiver. Is Chubb better than Kamara and Gurley? I don't see it. The Rams have the best trio of receivers and the deepest group. I might consider the Saints slightly better but they are more top heavy. They do have a big edge at tight end. Kamara and Gurley are probably a wash. I just don't see the Browns having the best supporting group in the NFL.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sam Bradford but he was hurt most of the time. Pretty great time to be a Rams fan. I hope most of us appreciate what Goff/McVay has done for this team. Half the NFL hasnt experienced this success in their entire history.
Yes and no, he had Shotty for the last 3 years he was with the Rams, but didn't play a regular season snap that 3rd year. First year was Shurmur second was McDaniels.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yes and no, he had Shotty for the last 3 years he was with the Rams, but didn't play a regular season snap that 3rd year. First year was Shurmur second was McDaniels.
I was replying to him asking if we’ve had the same QB for three consecutive years.

oldnotdead

Legend
It was noticeable last year that there were times Goff wasn't trusting what he was seeing and others where he was slow with his reads. Those things improve with experience. I think McVay is going to tweak the offense to get Goff into a faster rhythm. This will really help a new oline. I think McVay will really limit slow developing plays, again to help Goff as well as the new oline. It wouldn't surprise me if he's telling Goff just to make 2 down field reads then dump off. If the dump off is gone just to throw it away.

Also there are route adjustments made by receivers dependent upon how the receiver reads the coverage. Ergo the QB must be on the same page reading the D the same way. There were times it looked like Goff was unsure and waited for the receiver to make his adjustment. That increases release time and usually makes the throw late, evidenced by the throw being many times behind the receiver as opposed to a purposeful back shoulder throw. This should improve as he's had the same base receiving corps and they should be more on the same page. But McVay can help by limiting those adjustments in his play design. So it wouldn't surprise me if Goff's completion percentage drops a bit due to more throwaways but so should sacks and INT's.

Goff is a long long way from a finished product and McVay knows it. Which is also something that Florio obviously doesn't understand. Jared had the potential to be a truly great QB. All the great ones had something in common. They took their game to the next level in their heads. They became masters at reading defenses and understanding the game. I see that in Goff more than Wentz or at least it's more evident in the way they play their games.

I remember when Cam Newton was being drafted. All the hype about his being a generational talent. I'd tell my friends, that I didn't buy it. They pointed to his athleticism and then I'd say "but can he read a defense?". I remember the stuff said about Drew Brees when he was entering the draft. Weak arm, too short, etc etc, and it dropped him to the second round. I was elated when the Chargers took him. Because he had accuracy, but most of all the mental makeup to be great. I see that same type of thing in Goff. Not the strongest arm but good enough to make all the throws with accuracy. But most of all the mentality it takes to be truly an elite QB, for a long time.

Ram65

Legend
I think McVay will really limit slow developing plays, again to help Goff as well as the new oline. It wouldn't surprise me if he's telling Goff just to make 2 down field reads then dump off. If the dump off is gone just to throw it away.

I stated that McVay could add some quicker hitting plays in another thread and hope he does. However, I don't see McVay getting away from from the down field plays. They are in his DNA. Noteboom should be better in pass protection which may not be a big down grade from Saffold. I do agree that Goff has the work ethic and mental ability to become a great reader of defenses.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm not saying he will either. But I think he will be more selective when he does especially early in the season. His oline needs time to gel as a unit with so many new pieces. As he gains more confidence in them I think he will open things up more. But early on the last thing he wants is to get Jared hurt due to a oline miscue which is very likely early on. The Rams have a tough schedule this year. I don't expect either AZ or SF to be the patsies they were last year. AZ will be moving to a collegiate style wide open offense something the Rams only really faced last year in KC and we all saw that game. SF will have their Jimmy G back so they also will be better as their D wasn't bad at all last year. The Hawks will be the Hawks always a tough game and this is only in the division.

This year I think the Rams will have to lean on their run game a lot early on which is why IMO they made sure they re-signed Brown and drafted Henderson. The Rams have the WR's and QB to prevent teams from stacking the box. This should be a very fun year. I think the Ram defense will be the key this year. They look to be much improved, especially in the secondary.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm not saying he will either. But I think he will be more selective when he does especially early in the season. His oline needs time to gel as a unit with so many new pieces. As he gains more confidence in them I think he will open things up more. But early on the last thing he wants is to get Jared hurt due to a oline miscue which is very likely early on. The Rams have a tough schedule this year. I don't expect either AZ or SF to be the patsies they were last year. AZ will be moving to a collegiate style wide open offense something the Rams only really faced last year in KC and we all saw that game. SF will have their Jimmy G back so they also will be better as their D wasn't bad at all last year. The Hawks will be the Hawks always a tough game and this is only in the division.

This year I think the Rams will have to lean on their run game a lot early on which is why IMO they made sure they re-signed Brown and drafted Henderson. The Rams have the WR's and QB to prevent teams from stacking the box. This should be a very fun year. I think the Ram defense will be the key this year. They look to be much improved, especially in the secondary.
Agree with everything except the Whiners defense. They’ve been god awful every year since Shanny got there.

nighttrain

Legend
Jared Goff's supporting cast ranked 3rd in NFL

We got evidence late last year that the Rams running game can still be effective without riding Gurley to a point of exhaustion, and it’s possible he’ll still flourish in a less intense role. If that happens, Kupp returns and either tight end can rise up, this might be the best supporting cast in the NFL. But it’s unlikely all of that happens, so for now they’re the second runner-up.
Well i see it as highly likely, almost probable for the unlikely to be the norm...
Go Rams

:double::double::double::double::double:
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
:shooting::shooting::shooting::shooting:

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

train

oldnotdead

Legend
It's hard to say because they were trying to rebuild without their starting QB. Kinda hard to do. But the team seem to play hard for him. So I will give the 9ers the benefit of the doubt. They might not be a playoff caliber team yet. But they seem to be the kind of team that can sneak up on you if you under estimate them.