Ej injury

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Didn't Tony Horne suffer the same injury and it ended his career?

I thought Horne's career went downwards after drug issues?

Horne was suspended for a positive test for 4 or 6 games I think in 2000 or 2001... his last year with the Rams. He followed Vermeil to the Chiefs and blew his knee out if I remember correctly and never could make a roster after that.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Before or after a WR corp and an entire O-Line?
Absolutely, and here's my reasoning behind that ...

1) The team has to have a strength.
2) Fisher was resigned for another two years and he can make excellent picks for defense, but not offense. Ugly, but true. To be honest, I'd rather Fisher not make another offensive pick again for the remainder of his two years, assuming he's really there for both years.
3) I'm not even sure that there's a problem with the line, because I think a different game plane and line coach should be able to get something out of the picks this team has spent on it's offense.

So you see it's not about abandoning the offense right now. For me, it's about how to most wisely use the resources available until he turns over the keys to someone who knows what they're doing so that hopefully they'll be able to devote everything they have towards fixing the offense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Before or after a WR corp and an entire O-Line?
Rams did not draft a DB in either 2015 or 2016 drafts. Rams lost 2 starters this season in our secondary & have 2 starters who will be UFA's in 2017. That will leave the Rams with one drafted DB....Mo Alexander. The rest of our secondary is UDAF's. Lamarcus Joyner is our starting SSLB'er who will play the Nickle. LJ is not an NFL caliber outside corner.

In 2015 the Rams drafted 7 straight offensive players with the first 7 draft picks. In 2016 the Rams utilized 5 of their 6 draft selections for offensive players. Would you say its time to retool our defense in one major area ...the secondary & one major post ... pass rushing DE? Let the those dozen or so offensive players settle in to play some & grow up before discarding them or replacing them?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I have a friend that had a lisfranc injury. It's not an injury where you start rehabbing right away. In fact, your not doing anything for months. Except laying in bed. You can't put ANY weight on that foot. It is a tough road back to shape.
The fact that EJ played early this season is a good sign, but I doubt he's 100% just yet.

How long did we wait to finally see Barret Jones even get back on the field?

As @FRO stated. These injuries are often career killers.

^^ this is typically not an injury that players come back from. If they do it takes time to get back to 100%. I doubt he's even playing at 90% at this point. I think he'll be fine next year.

Bruce2980

Starter
Rams did not draft a DB in either 2015 or 2016 drafts. Rams lost 2 starters this season in our secondary & have 2 starters who will be UFA's in 2017. That will leave the Rams with one drafted DB....Mo Alexander. The rest of our secondary is UDAF's. Lamarcus Joyner is our starting SSLB'er who will play the Nickle. LJ is not an NFL caliber outside corner.

In 2015 the Rams drafted 7 straight offensive players with the first 7 draft picks. In 2016 the Rams utilized 5 of their 6 draft selections for offensive players. Would you say its time to retool our defense in one major area ...the secondary & one major post ... pass rushing DE? Let the those dozen or so offensive players settle in to play some & grow up before discarding them or replacing them?
I agree, no point in Fisher doing anything in the draft for the offense, it seems that no matter what he does, the results do not change. At least we can get a better defense with your idea.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
There is always free agency. They need to retain Johnson and McDonald, but there are a bunch of guys in the secondary with skills hitting the market:

Jonathan Cyprien
Michael Griffin
Captain Munnerlyn
Stephon Gilmore
Mo Claiborne
Prince Amukamara
Dre Kirkpatrick

If nothing else, you should have a decent amount of cap space to play with.

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane
Well that seems awkwardly out of place lol. Think you meant this for a different thread maybe?

This may or may not have been before my morning coffee. I cannot promise I was fully awake. What I do know is that it is was meant for the caption post, but I must have been confused - this happens from time to time with me - more so as I get older...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought that UDFA rookie Mike Jordan was an upgrade @ outside right corner post. Any ongoing guessing at this point that EJ Gaines is the same as he was during the 2014 season is plain silly & a waste of time...fact is he is NOT. Its been evident since his return to the starting lineup after Coty Sensabaugh performance turned into a pile of toast crumbs. The first year UDFA Troy Hill also outplayed EJ Gaines.

EJ was handled with soft mittens in training camp & was eased into the practice field during the pre season too. Fisher was still holding EJ when the season began too hoping to see some of the old spark. When Sensabaugh went into fail mode Fisher had to insert EJ into starting lineup & hope for the best. If this is EJ's best then the future of this CB cadre is in deep :poop: in 2017. If Trumaine departs the two best outside Ram CB's will be 2nd season UDFA's. Will someone please tell me if this secondary is an improvement from the 2013 & 2014 seasons? The secondary is trending downward very fast with not much talent to rebuild on, Was this not one of Fisher's strong points.

Sickening how The Rams are still the youngest team in the NFL after 5 years of rebuilding & all those draft picks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There is always free agency. They need to retain Johnson and McDonald, but there are a bunch of guys in the secondary with skills hitting the market:

This regime is pretty good at developing players in the secondary. I'd sign one vet OL to solidify the line, and try to get the best WR on the market. Going into the draft things would not look too bad, reload the defense is fine provided they get a center somewhere mid-rounds which is where you get good value at that position.