Effort to unionize NFL cheerleaders could be coming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But the whole reason for the attention is the effort or threat to unionize.

Well originally there wasn't a push to unionize there was just negative press, the push for unions came a short while later, but that's just a quibble. At this point there is enough attention and pressure to make changes.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
In my experience usually ignorance.
"I hate unions...." Usually followed by "I've never been in one"
So it goes.
In my opinion they are lacking two important things.
They are easily replaceable and they are not necessary.
If I owned a team I would certainly pay them better than it seems most are, but, you can forget about "30 hours a week" being paid. If they are putting in that much time they are very into their hobby I guess.

I would make them kind of full time and use them for PR. That's one of the reasons AB was so strong here was the presence of the Bud Girls in bars and such. Not a huge part, but worth every penny they were paid. To me, they're an untapped resource.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Well originally there wasn't a push to unionize there was just negative press, the push for unions came a short while later, but that's just a quibble. At this point there is enough attention and pressure to make changes.

But can they sustain after the pressure is gone? But you're right, that's a off topic debate for another day. Let's hope things work out for the ladies.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would make them kind of full time and use them for PR. That's one of the reasons AB was so strong here was the presence of the Bud Girls in bars and such. Not a huge part, but worth every penny they were paid. To me, they're an untapped resource.
Depends on the salary I guess but that makes sense. I hope it goes we for the ladies.

Ramatik

Starter
That's been my opinion the whole time.......they don't need a union they just need to be paid a little. The only reason unionization has come into play is because ownership and management has been tone deaf about the work done for the money.

It's not like they are asking for six figures a year.

True. But, I think whatever they get, they are going to eventually think it's not fair and want more.

The Union rearing it's ugly soul-sucking head and getting into this basically means the end of Cheerleaders for the NFL.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Fuck unionising them, we should canonise them.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
They don't need to unionize in order to do that.
Exactly. All they have to do is report their employer to the division of labor for paying improper wages.

Either way, I find the cheerleaders to be very much lacking in gameday entertainment. I'd be in favor of getting Rampage a GF and doing away with the cheerleaders.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
That's been my opinion the whole time.......they don't need a union they just need to be paid a little. The only reason unionization has come into play is because ownership and management has been tone deaf about the work done for the money.

It's not like they are asking for six figures a year.
I agree with your sentiment whole-heartedly...but something I've learned about the NFL and NFL teams is that they don't want ANYONE to make money except for themselves.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Exactly. All they have to do is report their employer to the division of labor for paying improper wages.

Either way, I find the cheerleaders to be very much lacking in gameday entertainment. I'd be in favor of getting Rampage a GF and doing away with the cheerleaders.

To be honest I could give a rats azz if they stay or go myself, I pay zero attention to them anyway.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

giphy.gif

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm so down for this. They get paid more and it invites pillow fights. I love pillows so much, especially pillows decked out in Rams gear. Pardon me for a minuite...

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I just discovered my dream job! Union business agent for the NFL cheerleaders. And I thought my business agent had a cush job, he's gotta look at a bunch of old fat truck drivers and dock workers all day for the small fortune he takes home.

I'm sure we could work somethin out for the union initiation fees, maybe even special discounts on monthly dues.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://deadspin.com/tampa-bay-bucs-cheerleaders-win-825k-settlement-agains-1689973787

Tampa Bay Bucs Cheerleaders Win $825K Lawsuit Settlement Against Team
Billy Haisley

baa403qv6n1l3tekx5oq.jpg

And another one! Following in the footsteps of the Raiders, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have settled the lawsuit brought by former cheerleaders to the tune of $825,000.

The Bucs cheerleaders' suit was very similar to the other ones we've seen: cheerleaders were paid flat fees on a per-game basis, were required to spend countless more hours at practice and working other events without payment, and in total were compensated much less than the state's minimum wage.

The settlement agreement, which you can find at the bottom of this post, lays out who's set to get what. The lawyers fees will amount to 31 percent of the maximum award, which leaves $561K for the 94 cheerleaders included in the class action.

Should the settlement be approved as written, the named plaintiffs, Manouchcar Pierre-Val and Geneva Maccarone, will receive $6,500 and $3,500 respectively on top of their split of the larger pot in service payments. That'll mean each of the remaining cheerleaders will receive a little less than $6,000. In settling before litigation, the Bucs admit no wrongdoing.

Below you can find the settlement agreement.

Pierre Val v Tampa Bay Buccaneers_Settlement Agreement by silkdiesel

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...now-recognizes-nfl-cheerleaders-as-employees/

California now recognizes NFL cheerleaders as employees
Posted by Mike Florio on July 16, 2015

employee.jpg
Getty Images

When a stream of lawsuits exposed the extent to which NFL teams exploit cheerleaders financially, it was obvious that changes would be coming to the system for paying them.

Via the Associated Press, California has become the first state in the country to expressly make cheerleaders employees, for the purposes of minimum wage and overtime.

The new law will make it easier for cheerleaders of California NFL teams to prove employment status, and in turn the receipt justify minimum wage and overtime. Without the new law, teams could try to claim that the cheerleaders are contractors.

For years, some teams have taken advantage of the intensely competitive nature of the cheerleader selection process to justify paying the “winners” less than they deserve, or otherwise treating them poorly.

A rash of lawsuits has exposed some of the seedier alleged practices, and hopefully the combination of litigation and legislation will bring about the kind of change that ensures the cheerleaders will be treated like any other employee, male or female.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I agree with this but it is part of an NFL tradition, not for all teams but for most. I wonder what the players think. Are the cheerleaders a distraction for them, or do they like having them there during the games?

suddenly thinking of the cheerleaders from the "the replacements"...

Vegas had not seen your post when I posted...lol

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Leave it to all the 'Political Experts' in California to start this Stuff!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Unions are like lawyers and nuclear weapons. Everyone can get one and once you start using them it just screws up everything!