Drake Stoops

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
5’10” 190

“His 40-yard time (4.67 seconds), his vertical jump (30.0 inches), his broad jump (8 feet, 11 inches) and his bench press (eight) all would have ranked as the worst marks by a receiver at the NFL Combine.

His 20-yard shuttle time (4.25 seconds) would’ve ranked seventh, though only nine receivers ran the drill at the combine.

And Stoops’ three-cone drill times (7.01 seconds) would’ve ranked eighth, but again, only nine receivers did it at the combine.“

He clearly has short area quickness, good hands and a high FB IQ. Could be a good slot. Although not sure if he can block. Interesting player.
His blocking may be the thing that holds him back, ala, Tutu.
Measurables aside, dude is a player.

fearsomefour

Legend
Methinks the reports of Skow's demise are highly exagerated.
Probably right, McVay trusts him clearly.
I think Whittington is certainly a guy dog eared to fill that role however as Skow is a FA next year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Too slow.
Stoop 4.67
Kupp 4.62
Puka 4.6

Kupp and Puka have the advantage of being physically larger of course.
Welker, Amendola etc.
In that sort to mid range route quickness and change of direction is more important than straight line speed.
I think Stoops has that.

dang

Legend
Stoop 4.67
Kupp 4.62
Puka 4.6

Kupp and Puka have the advantage of being physically larger of course.
Welker, Amendola etc.
In that sort to mid range route quickness and change of direction is more important than straight line speed.
I think Stoops has that.
Exactly. They may all have the Matrix moves.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldnt be surprised to see Skowronek sign an extension at a club affordable number, he is a special teams demon. However if he doesnt see time as the hybrid FB, his days for sure will be numbered

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, if there's one UDFA wide receiver rookie I'm keeping an eye on this year, it's Sam Wiglusz. Former Ohio State walk-on, stayed there for three years, playing sparingly before transferring to Ohio, where he played two years (senior year was better than graduate). Ran a bit faster than Stoops, and honestly, he reminds me more of Amendola than Stoops does.

If I'm really honest, though, I think Xavier Smith is the guy who sticks on the roster, along with Whittington. Laap is honestly more intriguing than Stoops as well; he utterly dominated his league, but does he have the ability to do the same at the professional level? Stoops did lead Oklahoma in every statistic, but Oklahoma had a huge down year last year, and hasn't had the receivers of the past.

Depending on what we do for wide receiver, we could easily cut Skowronek (for cap reasons) and/or deal Atwell for a pick-swap like Van Jefferson or as an add-on to someone like Courtland Sutton.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Depending on what we do for wide receiver, we could easily cut Skowronek (for cap reasons) and/or deal Atwell for a pick-swap like Van Jefferson or as an add-on to someone like Courtland Sutton.
I've made my feelings known about cutting Skow before we find a ST replacement for him (don't think the chances are high this year) but I think Atwell, while not a starter, has way too much utility with that speed.

No one else on the roster can do what he does and he was very valuable last year as a part time starter. He's important depth and can add a home run threat when out there.

Did he live up to his draft status, no, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to trade him without someone to replace what he became last year. Maybe Xavier Smith can do some of that but he'll need a bunch more development this offseason to get there.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I've made my feelings known about cutting Skow before we find a ST replacement for him (don't think the chances are high this year) but I think Atwell, while not a starter, has way too much utility with that speed.

No one else on the roster can do what he does and he was very valuable last year as a part time starter. He's important depth and can add a home run threat when out there.

Did he live up to his draft status, no, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to trade him without someone to replace what he became last year. Maybe Xavier Smith can do some of that but he'll need a bunch more development this offseason to get there.

That's fair. Atwell does have utility with his speed, and it's true that we could see him play, particularly if Kupp continues to decline or if - fate forbid - someone gets hurt, but if he's a sweetener to get someone like Courtland Sutton at a reasonable price? A true X receiver? I think it's worth that risk.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
This kid can play.....he seems like edelman 2.0 he plays faster than his 40 time catches everything and just have a good feeling about him. If used correctly he reminds meo much of Edelman all he does is get open and run good routes

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
That's fair. Atwell does have utility with his speed, and it's true that we could see him play, particularly if Kupp continues to decline or if - fate forbid - someone gets hurt, but if he's a sweetener to get someone like Courtland Sutton at a reasonable price? A true X receiver? I think it's worth that risk.
That Grinch face seems to have always disliked mcvay he doesn't seem like he ever wants or will ever trade with us. Had he been there when we got von trade probably doesn't happen. He so bitter

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Drake hater!
GIF by GRIPLESS

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Shit how did i miss this one?? Im a Sooner fan and this dude became a fan favorite not only b/c of his dad but he's always made plays and took a shit ton of hard hits. I have no idea how he'll pan but hoping he makes it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Hasn't the Sutton ship sailed?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well let's look at the WR roster... Assuming they keep 6:

Roster spot guaranteed:

:helmet: Kupp. Lot of folks worried about his health but he tends to come back on fire after he misses time. I don't bet against this dude.

:helmet: Nacua. Similar game to Kupp and similar drawback, he is physical and takes a lot of hits.

:helmet: Robinson. It is possible he gets challenged for that WR3 role. But to start the season he's got a job.

Borderline:

:helmet: Tutu. I almost put him in the guaranteed area but I think it is possible he gets beaten out for a couple reasons. The first is because he has not added much on the field for the offense, and WR is a position where you should show relatively quickly if you have skills and fit. The second because he doesn't add shit to teams. I think if he wants to make sure he's got a job he has to improve at least on teams, but preferably in both. He probably backs up Robinson this season.

:helmet: Skow. Like with Tutu I think Skow is borderline. I just can't quite put him in guaranteed. His value is of course teams but also flexibility off the bench. That is a very tough combination for a rook to beat out. Should probably have him ahead of Tutu but the reason Tutu is ahead of him overall is speed. Nobody else has that in this room. Skow slots behind Nacua in terms of depth but of course can be moved around.

Battling for their jobs:

:helmet: Whittington. Being a 6th rounder may not sound like much but when you're lumped in with a bunch of UDFAs it means there is some extra value attached to your name. Of course that won't win him a job with McVay. But he will start camp with every opportunity to earn that slot backup role. Having someone on that depth chart who can fill for Kupp if he misses time is important. This guy has advantages in that he is a strong blocker and team type, so the fit is strong. Also this makes that depth chart competition quite grueling for the rest of these guys under him because this is 6, so for someone to make a roster spot as a 7th wideout you gotta really show well on teams IMO.

:helmet: Smith. This guy is a threat to Tutu's job. He's been around a little while now, brings some really good all around skills in that small package. No fanfare. Nobody talking him up. But I think he's a roster darkhorse for this WR group. Problem for this dude is now is the time to make your move. If you don't, there are some kids below you coming for the spot you're sitting in.

:helmet: Johnson. Has some nice length to him, good mix of skills. But like with Smith now is his camp to make his move. If not, there is no guarantee he's gonna have a PS spot let alone a roster job. When you're here, the priority needs to be teams and upside. So he's got his work cut out.

:helmet: Stoops. I have to admit his film is intriguing. Think he's too small, but he's not the smallest dude in this wideout room. He has the suddenness and body control I like in a slot. But chances are he'll slot behind Whittington. So what does he bring on teams. You know how he can win a roster spot immediately? That's right, by showing on returns. None of these guys above him are noteworthy in that regard. Paydirt right there if he can do it.

:helmet: Laap. Finding film on this dude is impossible. For me at least. Look forward to seeing him in preseason but boy is it gonna be tough for him to move up this chart. Like with Stoops I'd be working the Juggs with that thing pointed skyward and angling for a returns job.

:helmet: Wiggy. I don't see the suddenness that Stoops shows on the limited film on this dude. Look forward to seeing him play but I think he is the longest of shots to do any depth chart climbing.