draft picks by position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'd break it down a bit differently at this point.

Here are the what I see as the top needs, along with where I'd "shop":

Edge Rusher: FA or, if we are unable to sign a top guy, Round 1
Cornerback: Rounds 1-3.
Wide Receiver: Round 1 if a top guy drops. If not, try to find another mid-round gem.
Offensive Tackle: Unless we can get a "franchise guy" in Round 1, roll with A.J. Jackson (RFA)
Offensive Guard: Prefer to sign Dotson, could be FA options (cheaper) if he bolts. Otherwise, day 2 of draft.
Inside LB: mid-rounds of draft.
RB2: mid-rounds of draft.

First off - don’t understand WR as a need !!! Even at TE, Long & Allen look to be real good until Higbee gets back ?

Then you can’t say Tackle,unless Alaric Jackson doesn’t resign.Then Tackle becomes The Number 1 priority.

CB !! What happens with Spoon who was The Rams best CB.Durant is NOT a cover CB.
Kendrick has 2 years left on his contract & still young,but is a liability. CB is Number 1 right now.

FA signings always determine needs.Best Available is the way to draft in early rounds.There is a tier group of Players.Edge Rushers are always valuable.B. Young is going to improve a lot in 2024.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
First off - don’t understand WR as a need !!! Even at TE, Long & Allen look to be real good until Higbee gets back ?

Then you can’t say Tackle,unless Alaric Jackson doesn’t resign.Then Tackle becomes The Number 1 priority.

CB !! What happens with Spoon who was The Rams best CB.Durant is NOT a cover CB.
Kendrick has 2 years left on his contract & still young,but is a liability. CB is Number 1 right now.

FA signings always determine needs.Best Available is the way to draft in early rounds.There is a tier group of Players.Edge Rushers are always valuable.B. Young is going to improve a lot in 2024.
WR is not an immediate need if Kupp stays healthy. This is a very good WR class, though, so I’d consider a “luxury pick” if the right guy falls.

OT comes down to whether we think the No. 19 pick could yield a clear upgrade over Jackson.

Not sure what your point is on CB. I said its a priority for Rounds 1-3.

The rest of your comments likewise don't seem to be addressing anything I said.

dang

Legend
I'd break it down a bit differently at this point.

Here are the what I see as the top needs, along with where I'd "shop":

Edge Rusher: FA or, if we are unable to sign a top guy, Round 1
Cornerback: Rounds 1-3.
Wide Receiver: Round 1 if a top guy drops. If not, try to find another mid-round gem.
Offensive Tackle: Unless we can get a "franchise guy" in Round 1, roll with A.J. Jackson (RFA)
Offensive Guard: Prefer to sign Dotson, could be FA options (cheaper) if he bolts. Otherwise, day 2 of draft.
Inside LB: mid-rounds of draft.
RB2: mid-rounds of draft.
Last I checked we only have one first round draft pick. FA is an option for experienced talent but unless there are contract restructures the funds are limited.
The Rams need to improve their defense (by adding Edge/CB/S talent) and add some depth (TE, RB) on offense in order to ascend to the top of the NFC again.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
WR is not an immediate need if Kupp stays healthy. This is a very good WR class, though, so I’d consider a “luxury pick” if the right guy falls.

OT comes down to whether we think the No. 19 pick could yield a clear upgrade over Jackson.

Agree. Also agree with the posters that say it's just too early ... but it's Fun Damn It!

And, for the first time in years, the Rams have a top-20 pick (for the time being); plus, at least some cap space.

Enjoyed the season so much and did not want it to end. Ended too early. Have to Speculate. Got to!!!

Regarding WR, I love the foursome of Kupp, Nacua, Robinson and Atwell ... BUT ... Kupp and Nacua take a beating after the catch, Robinson is a free agent and Atwell is going into the final season of his contract. Another WR seems like a Need to me. Not a primary Need ... still thinking CB, Edge and OL in some order.

Most (Super Duper) early-rankings have Marvin Harrison, Malik Nabers, Rome Odunze and Keon Coleman as the top four (in some order, with Harrison at #1). Even if all six of the QBs are gone, these four WRs could also be gone at #19. However, if one is there at #19, he has to be in-the-mix.

Another WR that really intrigues me is Nabers' teammate Brian Thomas. He looks tall and fast, with big-play ability. Thomas is listed at 6'4" and 210, Will be interested in how he measures and runs. Still, a WR at #19 might be a luxury.

The top-3 OL in the (Really, Really) early-rankings are Joe Alt, Olu Fashanu and Taliese Fuaga (Alt is the favorite of @Loyal but that's only because, of the three, he has the only name that Loyal can spell). Those three (like the top-4 WRs, are likely gone by #19 but ... again, if one is there at #19, he has to be a serious consideration.

The current second-tier-OL has about 6-8 players; and a couple could warrant a mid-first-round selection. Couple could even be there when the Rams pick in Round Two.

At Edge, there are five players right now that could be there at #19 (Laiatu Latu, Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, Chop Robinson and Bralen Trice); and, since it's a need, any of them could be under consideration.

Cornerback is usually one of the last positions where there is clarity because of size and speed factors that are often not determined until post-combine workouts. Furthermore, there are scheme-fit issues. That applies to other positions (including O-Line) but especially when it comes to pass coverage. There's probably 8-10 CBs currently under consideration for being the top 2 o 3.

Finally, the first half of Round One could be dominated by Offensive players, with the six QBs, four WRs, three OL referenced above, plus TE Brock Bowers all potential selections before the Rams are on-the-clock. That means some of the best Defensive players could be on the Board at #19 ... maybe the Second-highest-rated players at Edge and/or Cornerback.

Of course, what happens in Free Agency will have a significant draft impact; and some players listed above will see their stock-fall, while others (not listed above) will rise-up-the-charts.

Crazy-Early-Speculation but ... at least for me ... this is Great Fun.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
At this point before anything transpires in FA, I would like to see OLBer, CB and backup QB address with the first 3 picks.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Also is Witherspoon under contract with the Rams for next season?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Unless there is a possible cornerstone left tackle they can plug and play for the next ten years, I'd say stick with Jackson for now. I wouldn't put him in that category but he's definitely not a liability. I'd rate him above average. Re-sign Dotson and Shelton and the offense is set. Robinson would be nice to bring back but if not there are other options.

Get that offense set and then focus on edge rusher and CB's. Improve both and we have a top ten defense to go with a top ten offense. They also need a legit backup. Snead mentioned how the Green Bay game amplified that need.

oldnotdead

Legend
As I've previously noted:

Rd:
1. Fuck 'em picks QB1 Trade up probably to 5 with Chargers. My thoughts it will be Penix or Nix.
2. CB
3. OT
4. Traded for Dotson
5. WR
5. RB
6. LB
6. X2 TBD
7. X3 TBD

I can see them improving depth at DB, LB and OL in the 6th and 7th round.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Top concerns as I see it are Edge, Corner, and ensuring the OL doesn't regress in Stafford's remaining window. If at all possible the preference should be affecting those three in FA.

This is where Dotson offers an easy solution but if a LT hits the market they may pivot to the more important spot. Either way if they can lessen 2 of those concerns in FA then they will be in great shape going into the draft.

Whatever is left lumps in with Safety, WR (x role), and Kicker as priority fixes in the draft. Of those any may be affected by FA but this offseason they must be efficient in spreading their resources across a lot of roster holes. So FA additions at those positions I would expect will be the cheap variety.

Then there are positions where you will draft a difference maker though it isn't a top need. ILB being a good example, specifically one to pair with Jones and give us 3 downs with improved range and tackling.

Obviously impact players are the priority but the good thing is when you have a ton of holes it simplifies taking that best guy on your board, i.e. less need to position. Looking at the different big boards they are full of positions of need in that 20ish range too so a move down would not surprise me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree. Also agree with the posters that say it's just too early ... but it's Fun Damn It!

And, for the first time in years, the Rams have a top-20 pick (for the time being); plus, at least some cap space.

Enjoyed the season so much and did not want it to end. Ended too early. Have to Speculate. Got to!!!

Regarding WR, I love the foursome of Kupp, Nacua, Robinson and Atwell ... BUT ... Kupp and Nacua take a beating after the catch, Robinson is a free agent and Atwell is going into the final season of his contract. Another WR seems like a Need to me. Not a primary Need ... still thinking CB, Edge and OL in some order.

Most (Super Duper) early-rankings have Marvin Harrison, Malik Nabers, Rome Odunze and Keon Coleman as the top four (in some order, with Harrison at #1). Even if all six of the QBs are gone, these four WRs could also be gone at #19. However, if one is there at #19, he has to be in-the-mix.

Another WR that really intrigues me is Nabers' teammate Brian Thomas. He looks tall and fast, with big-play ability. Thomas is listed at 6'4" and 210, Will be interested in how he measures and runs. Still, a WR at #19 might be a luxury.

The top-3 OL in the (Really, Really) early-rankings are Joe Alt, Olu Fashanu and Taliese Fuaga (Alt is the favorite of @Loyal but that's only because, of the three, he has the only name that Loyal can spell). Those three (like the top-4 WRs, are likely gone by #19 but ... again, if one is there at #19, he has to be a serious consideration.

The current second-tier-OL has about 6-8 players; and a couple could warrant a mid-first-round selection. Couple could even be there when the Rams pick in Round Two.

At Edge, there are five players right now that could be there at #19 (Laiatu Latu, Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, Chop Robinson and Bralen Trice); and, since it's a need, any of them could be under consideration.

Cornerback is usually one of the last positions where there is clarity because of size and speed factors that are often not determined until post-combine workouts. Furthermore, there are scheme-fit issues. That applies to other positions (including O-Line) but especially when it comes to pass coverage. There's probably 8-10 CBs currently under consideration for being the top 2 o 3.

Finally, the first half of Round One could be dominated by Offensive players, with the six QBs, four WRs, three OL referenced above, plus TE Brock Bowers all potential selections before the Rams are on-the-clock. That means some of the best Defensive players could be on the Board at #19 ... maybe the Second-highest-rated players at Edge and/or Cornerback.

Of course, what happens in Free Agency will have a significant draft impact; and some players listed above will see their stock-fall, while others (not listed above) will rise-up-the-charts.

Crazy-Early-Speculation but ... at least for me ... this is Great Fun.
Which dominant Center in the Draft can we take instead of a tiny WR? Chartarious Humphrey? ~ @Memento

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Which dominant Center in the Draft can we take instead of a tiny WR? Chartarious Humphrey? ~ @Memento

Easy: Jackson Powers-Johnson, Sedrick Van Pran Granger, or Graham Barton. Those are the bluechip centers.

Or we could move Avila to center if Shelton leaves? No, it's not blue font; Avila's been worked out as a potential center before.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Easy: Jackson Powers-Johnson, Sedrick Van Pran Granger, or Graham Barton. Those are the bluechip centers.

Or we could move Avila to center if Shelton leaves? No, it's not blue font; Avila's been worked out as a potential center before.
I think Avila makes Jackson better on the left and so I don't want him moved...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think Avila makes Jackson better on the left and so I don't want him moved...

Just imagine an interior of Cooper Beebe, Avila, and Dotson/Robert Hunt. That's what I envision, and hence why I think that moving Avila to center is a possibility if we don't get a top draft pick there and/or Shelton leaves.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thought it was interesting to see Powers go off the board in the 20s range in the Athletic's recent mock. Might mean he's hearing rumors that teams have him high.

Not that I'd want to see the Rams take a center at the top, even with a trade down. But I'd understand it if they did because when you transition from Stafford, which seems likely in a year or two, having a pivot who is in his power curve to make the calls and give him a nice pocket makes sense.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Just imagine an interior of Cooper Beebe, Avila, and Dotson/Robert Hunt. That's what I envision, and hence why I think that moving Avila to center is a possibility if we don't get a top draft pick there and/or Shelton leaves.
I really hope we draft Beebe, otherwise Memento is going to start crying.

And nobody wants that.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I have noticed that the Rams tend to draft similar positions to the ones they pick in free agency.
Which is slick because you don't have to depend on the Rook.
And you don't necessarily have to depend on the free agent making it all the way through the season because the Rook could end up taking more snaps because of injury or the rookie simply improved to bypass the free agent on the depth chart.
Kind of a win-win at any position they see that needs strengthening.

So my picks in free agency AND the draft by position would be;
Safety
Corner
Edge
OL
DL

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
PFT saying Rams getting a 5th and 3 6ths this season in comp picks.
So they will have three 5th rounders...their own, Steelers and the comp pick.

They also get four 6th rdrs. The 3 comp picks. Then they have Denvers pick from the Kenny Young trade, but Buffalo has the Rams 6th.

They have no 7th, traded to Denver in the Kenny Young trade.

So hopefully they can package a few pick to move up into the 4th...whether multiple picks or a player and a pick. They have one of those 100 pick gaps again like they faced last yr when they traded back into the 4th to take Bennett.

Also, they could obviously trade down into the 4th, but I would prefer quality over quantity this yr since they had a 14 pick class last yr and they could still get an unheard of 10 guys out of that draft that could be a factor.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Totally agree, I keep thinking Ogletree,Bobby Wagner type.
—Queen was a LBEr I wanted,but he went earlier than I thought.Still a sideline to sideline type. 230-240 with 4.50-4.60 speed.
Jeremiah Trotter Jr...early day 2 guy would be interesting.