Draft - First Priority: The Cases for CB, OL, EDGE and DL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Higbee on potentially his last year, Hopkins unable to catch 1 pass and a couple of JAGs laying around, I surely think TE is a need in the draft. Alas, the Rams know what they have

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year, the Rams went to the second round of the playoffs with rookies at RB and FS.
Yes and last year there were thoughts that RB was ok because we had drafted Hendy. But the Rams made a great choice not to gamble that he'd be able to carry the offense.

I think DL is similar this year. 5T is a need for rotation for sure. Question is do they trust Robinson. If they don't it could very well be the top need on the board.

Corner's kind of a position where you can always take it tbh. Those guys can drop like flies. So idk. But I do think 5T is a big need. And obviously Center is a big need too though they don't have to take it right away. We may see a ton of defense added period tbh.

WR being deep is kind of nice also because maybe McVay will wait to get his new toy. I really feel like they need to load this defensive front at a minimum. I'm fucking tired of watching Shanny's stupid fucking offense get free yards on the ground.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can make a case for drafting all offense this year by looking at our current roster of defensive players:

Slam dunk starters:

Donald
Ramsey
Williams
SJD
Floyd
Fuller
Rapp/Burgess

Part timers, but guys who have proven they can play:

Robinson
Rapp/Burgess
Kiser
Lewis
Hollins
Gaines

Players we've been developing:

Obo
Young
Howard
Reeder
Long
Deayon
Scott
Hughes
Rozeboom
Banks
Jonah Williams
Hoecht
Copeland

That's 13 players who are guaranteed playing time and another 11 who we've been developing.

Factoring in injuries last year, we played 17-20 players on defense.

Long, Obo, Young and Scott were in the 20 from last year. That leaves 3 guys to step up:

Howard/Reeder - was going to start last year if not for the injury

Deayon - was a little surprised he didn't make the 53 last year - I expect him, Long and a FA to fight for the third CB spot

Banks/Williams/Hoecht/Copeland - feels like they kept this group to fight for this spot

From this perspective, the only thing I'd do is try to upgrade ILB and possibly EDGE - but I am expecting an offense heavy draft because we always ignore ILB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect this will be a "trenches" draft. C, 5T, OLB, ILB (I consider the defensive front seven as trenches due to run game). We could see a WR or CB at any point but I feel like getting stout up front on both sides of the ball will be a theme.

McVay wants to end Shanny's little run of domination IMO. Loading more offense isn't gonna do that. We need trench improvements.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect this will be a "trenches" draft. C, 5T, OLB, ILB (I consider the defensive front seven as trenches due to run game). We could see a WR or CB at any point but I feel like getting stout up front on both sides of the ball will be a theme.

McVay wants to end Shanny's little run of domination IMO. Loading more offense isn't gonna do that. We need trench improvements.

Last year the Niners rushed for 3.3 and 3.4 YPC against us in two games.

On the flip side we only scored 16 and 13 points offensively in the two games. Both games we ran the ball well and both games we had time to pass for the most part.

I think the Packers game did show that we need a more diverse group of pass rushers, so I could see a draft pick or two go that way - but the only real success the Niners had against us last year was the horizontal pitch pass crap in the first game - for that I'd love an ILB with speed and, you know, talent.

But I fear that keeping all our ILB from last year might mean we ignore the position yet again.

dang

Legend
I sure hope the Rams have a plan to add some FA depth if needed at C/CB/S/Edge depending on draft results.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year the Niners rushed for 3.3 and 3.4 YPC against us in two games.

On the flip side we only scored 16 and 13 points offensively in the two games. Both games we ran the ball well and both games we had time to pass for the most part.

I think the Packers game did show that we need a more diverse group of pass rushers, so I could see a draft pick or two go that way - but the only real success the Niners had against us last year was the horizontal pitch pass crap in the first game - for that I'd love an ILB with speed and, you know, talent.

But I fear that keeping all our ILB from last year might mean we ignore the position yet again.
Our defense did a good job vs SF last year you're right. But still I think the key to dominating those fucks lies at the LOS. Get tougher up front and you can stuff that run game when they check to it because it's a light box and it's a wasted down for them.

And I want that physicality for better playoff potency. The Packers did a number on us motioning Reeder out then running into a light box in the playoffs. I'll be surprised if the Rams don't prioritize that.