DRAFT Day one: Rd 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's crazy! There's always a player that the league execs are higher on than media draft experts.
I don't like Nix at all either but considering what Payton has gotten from his backups over the years I'm probably gonna eat my words on him too.

At least with Nix and even McCarthy, they probably went to the exact right situations for them to succeed in (though Nix needs more weapons).

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The Penix pick is starting to make a little sense now. Although I think the Falcons screwed the pooch, they might lose their 1st round pick next year and only have Cousins for two yrs. But paying Cousins that much looks insane now. I'm sure he is one and done and Penix will be starting next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Penix pick is starting to make a little sense now. Although I think the Falcons screwed the pooch, they might lose their 1st round pick next year and only have Cousins for two yrs. But paying Cousins that much looks insane now. I'm sure he is one and done and Penix will be starting next year.
What I think is important here is that contract didn't suddenly make Cousins good enough. He is marginal as hell. He got paid because he was the best option to bridge for a new coach who knows he must win.

From there the move makes all kinds of sense. Problem is several months of media boards had the wrong valuation on Penix. Fans freak because the presumed valuation wasn't universal with teams.

One thing that bugs me is QBs acting like they are above competition. They're not. They are the best paid players in the game. So Cousins needs to keep his mouth shut if he is smart, check his fucking ego and go spend that fat paycheck.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
What I think is important here is that contract didn't suddenly make Cousins good enough. He is marginal as hell. He got paid because he was the best option to bridge for a new coach who knows he must win.

From there the move makes all kinds of sense. Problem is several months of media boards had the wrong valuation on Penix. Fans freak because the presumed valuation wasn't universal with teams.

One thing that bugs me is QBs acting like they are above competition. They're not. They are the best paid players in the game. So Cousins needs to keep his mouth shut if he is smart, check his fucking ego and go spend that fat paycheck.
This has nothing to do with where pre draft boards viewed Penix. This is a team in win now mode that just spent the number 8 pick on a 24 year old quarterback that might not play for 3-4 seasons. If they would’ve drafted JJ McCarthy., or taken a flyer on a QB in the later rounds, it would’ve made sense. People keep trying to compare this to GB and Love and Rodgers but GB drafted Love with the 26th pick *and* he was only 21 years old at the time.

Also calling Cousins “marginal as hell” let’s me know you don’t understand how he’s viewed in league circles. He had multiple teams willing to throw huge money at him. It’s not like the Falcons were the only ones offering him. And again, the track record on first round quarterbacks who were 23+ when they were drafted is abysmal. It’s like a 3% hit rate.

Tano

Legend
Kirk will be 36 years old when season starts, has a fucked up Achilles, and has taken an absolute beating over the years (if you seen Quarterback on Netflix). Does anyone actually believe he's going to see all 4 years? And who knows what will happen by this time next year. They found a qb they like, they take him. I don't see why everyone is going so crazy over it.

Also the Falcons don't need more than any other team. Their biggest problem was Arthur Smith and he's no longer there. Drake London, Kyle Pitts, Bijan, and they have an underrated D. They can fill whatever else with other picks and JAGs. Those spots aren't as altering as QB.

I guess what I'm saying they covered all bases after being since Matt Ryan left. Kirk is healthy and plays well...great. he doesn't or gets hurt or retires, another ready to go.
The main reason I do not think Penix will play in 2 years is because he has a horrible throwing motion and it will take at least a year probably two to fix it if ever.

I wanted to stay away from Penix due to that reason specifically.

So yes I give an F like other media on this pick.

When you have an 8th pick in the draft - you get a player that is ready to start from day 1 - not a project.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
This has nothing to do with where pre draft boards viewed Penix. This is a team in win now mode that just spent the number 8 pick on a 24 year old quarterback that might not play for 3-4 seasons. If they would’ve drafted JJ McCarthy., or taken a flyer on a QB in the later rounds, it would’ve made sense. People keep trying to compare this to GB and Love and Rodgers but GB drafted Love with the 26th pick *and* he was only 21 years old at the time.

Also calling Cousins “marginal as hell” let’s me know you don’t understand how he’s viewed in league circles. He had multiple teams willing to throw huge money at him. It’s not like the Falcons were the only ones offering him. And again, the track record on first round quarterbacks who were 23+ when they were drafted is abysmal. It’s like a 3% hit rate.
I'm with Merlin on this one.
Nothing wrong with doubling down on the most important position.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's crazy! There's always a player that the league execs are higher on than media draft experts.
And look at some that have dropped to round 2. DeJean, Kool Aid, McConkey, Newton, Powers Johnson, Troy Franklin

Hell there was a time people thought Newton was the top defensive player and would go top 10.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member

Fuck. Why do I suddenly not hate the guy?

This generally does happen to me when enemy opponents retire. Happened with Joe Montana, happened with Larry Bird. They exit the game and you miss your team going up against them. You reflect back years later and appreciate them in the context of the greatest who ever did it - and you witnessed it.

I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly with Bill.

Sports hate isn't genuine hate. Go figure.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Peter Schraeger saying on Good Morning Football that the player we were considering moving up for was indeed Brock Bowers.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I wonder what the NFL would have done if the Falcons traded next yrs #1 for a late #1 this year? Could they stop it?