DRAFT Day one: Rd 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Rich Eisen opened his show today by saying the Penix pick was the most stunned he’s been in 21 years of covering the NFL draft.

It’s just an impossibility for the Cousins signing *and* the Penix pick to both be right. If Cousins is a bust you wasted $100M+ and will have dead cap issues from it thru the 2026 season. If Cousins plays up to his contract you just wasted the number 8 pick in the draft for a team that’s in win now mode. Not to mention Arthur Blank is 81 years old. I don’t think he’s as interested in how the team will look in 2028. He wants to win now. And from the looks of that interaction they had last night, it looked like Blank wanted an explanation.

The reports today were that the Rams and the Colts called the Falcons about trading up because they both wanted Bowers. If I’m the Falcons I call the Raiders, because I know they wanted Penix, and I call either the Rams or the Colts and work out a 3 team deal that lands Penix in LV, Bowers in Indy/LA, and the Falcons get the picks compensation they were offered last night, but with the 2025 first rounder instead of the 2024 first rounder. That probably won’t happen, but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it did. The Falcons really stepped in it and should do anything they can to unring that bell.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Assuming they'll have to move up into the top 5 I think it would take our 2nd and one of our 3rds to move up that high.
99 would do it but I'd rather give them our 2025 2nd rounder.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're getting close, but I am so tired after my medical treatment. I may to go to bed and find out later. @Merlin , you have the Con.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
We're getting close, but I am so tired after my medical treatment. I may to go to bed and find out later. @Merlin , you have the Con.
Get well my friend.

I will be missing it also being a disgruntled airline passenger but am certain you would easily trade places.

GO RAMS!!!

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Peter Schraeger saying on Good Morning Football that the player we were considering moving up for was indeed Brock Bowers.
Sad Max Greenfield GIF by CBS

Stupids in Atlanta...everybody knows the play was to trade back to 19 and get Penix there!

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Bet we see quite a few trades at the top of the 2nd round. There’s like 3-4 WRs left that everyone wants.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Rich Eisen opened his show today by saying the Penix pick was the most stunned he’s been in 21 years of covering the NFL draft.

It’s just an impossibility for the Cousins signing *and* the Penix pick to both be right. If Cousins is a bust you wasted $100M+ and will have dead cap issues from it thru the 2026 season. If Cousins plays up to his contract you just wasted the number 8 pick in the draft for a team that’s in win now mode. Not to mention Arthur Blank is 81 years old. I don’t think he’s as interested in how the team will look in 2028. He wants to win now. And from the looks of that interaction they had last night, it looked like Blank wanted an explanation.

The reports today were that the Rams and the Colts called the Falcons about trading up because they both wanted Bowers. If I’m the Falcons I call the Raiders, because I know they wanted Penix, and I call either the Rams or the Colts and work out a 3 team deal that lands Penix in LV, Bowers in Indy/LA, and the Falcons get the picks compensation they were offered last night, but with the 2025 first rounder instead of the 2024 first rounder. That probably won’t happen, but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it did. The Falcons really stepped in it and should do anything they can to unring that bell.
This is pro sports...quit making sense already!

When I was doing mocks I kept passing on Bowers on the rare occasion he was available though once or twice I traded up just to see what it might take for grins and giggles. But I never really thought it was a great idea...need defense and all that.

And now that it didn't happen, I'm kinda sad...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Bet we see quite a few trades at the top of the 2nd round. There’s like 3-4 WRs left that everyone wants.
Yup….a WR to go with their shiny new QB that the percentages say will likely bust

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I disagree when it is a top 10 pick. You go with the most ready position players not a QB that is a project. But that's just me.

The one's who don't make it in the top 10 are usually (and I want to stress usually) the ones with low floors high ceiling type players AKA Robinson or they get hurt or a QB that a team was desperate to get like the 49ers with Lance and Chicago with their two past QBs in the top 10.

Again I want to stress that I did not like Penix throwing motion and wouldn't have taken him at best until the low second round and that's only if I like the way my team is already looking pre-draft.

Whatever the reason how most players don't pan out, even if they are top 10...they don't pan out and are gone from the team.

And best case scenario (which ppl are overlooking b/c it doesn't align with the draft traditionalists) is he becomes a top QB for the long term. IF that happens no ones gonna give a shit he didn't start his first year.

Again I don't pay attention to the draft jargon...all i care about is who gets taken and to which team. And just because it doesn't align with tradition it doesn't mean it's a bad pick. I get the thinking ATL had. I'm rooting for the kid and Raheem now.

Tano

Legend
Whatever the reason how most players don't pan out, even if they are top 10...they don't pan out and are gone from the team.

And best case scenario (which ppl are overlooking b/c it doesn't align with the draft traditionalists) is he becomes a top QB for the long term. IF that happens no ones gonna give a shit he didn't start his first year.

Again I don't pay attention to the draft jargon...all i care about is who gets taken and to which team. And just because it doesn't align with tradition it doesn't mean it's a bad pick. I get the thinking ATL had. I'm rooting for the kid and Raheem now.
You are misunderstanding me.

If they had taken JJ McCarthy I probably wouldn't be as much against this pick as I am.

I am not a huge fan of McCarthy but could see him developing into a really good QB

Penix - he needs to fix that throwing motion or he is going to be a complete bust.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Just see the clip of Penix celebrating getting drafted.

Was he watching Jaws 3 at the time? :thinking:

jjab360

Legend
Just see the clip of Penix celebrating getting drafted.

Was he watching Jaws 3 at the time? :thinking:
I feel bad for him or at least as bad as I can feel for a millionaire going in the top 10 of the NFL draft.

That kid is ready to start and play now and the Falcons want to redshirt him for the majority of his rookie contract.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You are misunderstanding me.

If they had taken JJ McCarthy I probably wouldn't be as much against this pick as I am.

I am not a huge fan of McCarthy but could see him developing into a really good QB

Penix - he needs to fix that throwing motion or he is going to be a complete bust.

I don't think i am. I haven't done any research on any QB or any player. THis year and in the last few years...so I'll take your word for it. I.e., I don't know jack shit about Jayden Daniels or JJ or Bo Nix either.

My whole point is the pick isn't terrible b/c of the position, and if it works out no one is gonna give a shit they used the 8th pick or he sat for a year or 2.

Tano

Legend
I don't think i am. I haven't done any research on any QB or any player. THis year and in the last few years...so I'll take your word for it. I.e., I don't know jack shit about Jayden Daniels or JJ or Bo Nix either.

My whole point is the pick isn't terrible b/c of the position, and if it works out no one is gonna give a shit they used the 8th pick or he sat for a year or 2.
We will have to agree to disagree on that.

If I was a fan of the Falcons, I would be pissed because it pretty much means they are going thru the motions this year since their defense was horrible at getting sacks the last 4 years. And they had Morris as their DC 4 years ago and his method did not help them get more sacks.

And the fact that they chose Penix instead of McCarthy just makes it that much worse.

However, if they fix Penix throwing motion in the next two years, then yes this pick is worth it. Still would be annoyed at giving up two years but would be looking forward to the next 10 years with a fixed Penix (gawd that sounds wrong).

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We will have to agree to disagree on that.

If I was a fan of the Falcons, I would be pissed because it pretty much means they are going thru the motions this year since their defense was horrible at getting sacks the last 4 years. And they had Morris as their DC 4 years ago and his method did not help them get more sacks.

And the fact that they chose Penix instead of McCarthy just makes it that much worse.

However, if they fix Penix throwing motion in the next two years, then yes this pick is worth it. Still would be annoyed at giving up two years but would be looking forward to the next 10 years with a fixed Penix (gawd that sounds wrong).
I believe Penix has been under rated leading up to this draft. Having said that, Atlanta drafting him seems like a 3 year waste. But in their defense, it was smart to get him in the first as they will have him for 5 years. With Cousins contract running through the next 4, down the road they may look like geniuses. If Penix impresses them, trade away Cousins after 2 or 3 years for a decent price (2nd round pick; 2nd and 3rd) and have Penix for 2 or 3 years. This was most certainly a pick for the future.

As far as their lack of QB pressure, after Penix they grabbed DT Orhorhoro, Edge Trice and DT Dorlus. IMHO, they had a helluva draft. They already have the offensive weapons they need. They got future help at QB and immediate help on the DL.

Tano

Legend
I believe Penix has been under rated leading up to this draft. Having said that, Atlanta drafting him seems like a 3 year waste. But in their defense, it was smart to get him in the first as they will have him for 5 years. With Cousins contract running through the next 4, down the road they may look like geniuses. If Penix impresses them, trade away Cousins after 2 or 3 years for a decent price (2nd round pick; 2nd and 3rd) and have Penix for 2 or 3 years. This was most certainly a pick for the future.

As far as their lack of QB pressure, after Penix they grabbed DT Orhorhoro, Edge Trice and DT Dorlus. IMHO, they had a helluva draft. They already have the offensive weapons they need. They got future help at QB and immediate help on the DL.
It's that throwing motion that has me so down on him. Reminds me of a slightly better Tebow throwing motion. But throwing motions can be fixed. Look at Josh Allen. And maybe they improved their line a lot but their were 5 players that I would have gotten before Orhororo. And the announcers are going to have a hell of a time calling Orhorhoro's name when he does make a tackle.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's that throwing motion that has me so down on him. Reminds me of a slightly better Tebow throwing motion. But throwing motions can be fixed. Look at Josh Allen. And maybe they improved their line a lot but their were 5 players that I would have gotten before Orhororo. And the announcers are going to have a hell of a time calling Orhorhoro's name when he does make a tackle.
Motion/smotion. The guy throws a pretty ball.

As far as calling Orhorhoro's name when he makes a tackle, I have a suggestion. "Oh the horror!!!"

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Ok... i'm calling it.

After years of watching George Kittle be a PROBLEM... I think we trade up for Bowers, a generational talent at TE.

No one else at any position is so much better than anyone else at the position and a day one starter like Bowers

IF...IF...IF we can trade up for him, i think that's our guy and I'm calling it.

Presuming we can find someone to do business with...

So… I’m wrong often (as many here take great joy in pointing out LOL), but I got this one 5x5…

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I feel bad for him or at least as bad as I can feel for a millionaire going in the top 10 of the NFL draft.

That kid is ready to start and play now and the Falcons want to redshirt him for the majority of his rookie contract.
Cousins isn't good enough to keep him on the bench for long. Probably one season, which honestly is good for any young QB. That way they know the offense cold and have a rhythm with their weapons before they get out there in real snaps.

This will play out like it did in KC moreso than the Green Bay example cited by the team. Atlanta isn't going to admit it. But the hope is to hit on a young QB on a first contract so they can build around him on the cheap for a few years. The hope is not to have him wrapped in bubble wrap on the sideline. He's gonna play pretty quick.

But how long depends on Cousins. I think he can hold this off about a year. Because Penix is a whole different level of prospect compared to Cousins. He can do shit Cousins cannot do.