DRAFT Day one: Rd 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not when Atlanta needs so much and Penix I see sitting for 2 3 maybe even 4 years.

A number 8 pick should be a high end starter year 1

Kirk will be 36 years old when season starts, has a fucked up Achilles, and has taken an absolute beating over the years (if you seen Quarterback on Netflix). Does anyone actually believe he's going to see all 4 years? And who knows what will happen by this time next year. They found a qb they like, they take him. I don't see why everyone is going so crazy over it.

Also the Falcons don't need more than any other team. Their biggest problem was Arthur Smith and he's no longer there. Drake London, Kyle Pitts, Bijan, and they have an underrated D. They can fill whatever else with other picks and JAGs. Those spots aren't as altering as QB.

I guess what I'm saying they covered all bases after being since Matt Ryan left. Kirk is healthy and plays well...great. he doesn't or gets hurt or retires, another ready to go.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Chiefs getting Xavier Worthy you just can’t help but chuckle. Of course they get the athlete with the fastest 40 in NFL history.

A legit deep threat opens their offense up completely. Three-peat is not outlandish.

WestCoastRam

Legend
?
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

We didn’t trade in top 10?!?

But

But

But
Benjamin Albright told me we were!?
Reading comprehension brother

Angry Ram

Chiefs getting Xavier Worthy you just can’t help but chuckle. Of course they get the athlete with the fastest 40 in NFL history.

A legit deep threat opens their offense up completely. Three-peat is not outlandish.

But the internet said they'll suffer after paying Mahomeboy and trading Tyreek Hill

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Nothing wrong with competition. In fact I'd say Cousins is at his best when he's not sure about job security.

I have to laugh about this stuff man. The Athletic slamming Atlanta because they didn't take a player the pre-draft groupthink vetted. And then they have another article talking about how uncertain it is to evaluate QBs.

Atlanta is finally drafting intelligently I think. Taking Penix was a brilliant move. There aren't enough of these guys to go around. Penix is a pocket QB with big balls and Atlanta is gonna love him. Cousins has a high talent kid breathing down his neck to keep him sharp. This guarantees they have improved quality at the most important position and maybe a future with a stud. Win win.
Huh??? I’m sorry but that is nonsense.

Penix is 24 years old with 2 ACL tears under his belt. Take a look at the long list of QBs drafted in the first round that were 23 or older. It is bleak. Joe Burrow is legit the only success story. If Cousins plays up to his contract, then they just wasted a top 10 pick. If Cousins doesn’t play well, they wasted $100M+ guaranteed. You don’t pay a QB the kinda money you just paid Kirk Cousins and then draft a QB in the top 10 to give him competition and put a fire in his belly. LOLOLOL. That’s something you do to the QB you drafted 3 years ago that’s still on his rookie deal that hasn’t quite lived up to expectations yet. And you wanna see some improvement *before* you give him the deal that Kirk Cousins just got. The Falcons duffed this one into the water. There’s nothing smart or strategic about this.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Kirk will be 36 years old when season starts, has a fucked up Achilles, and has taken an absolute beating over the years (if you seen Quarterback on Netflix). Does anyone actually believe he's going to see all 4 years? And who knows what will happen by this time next year. They found a qb they like, they take him. I don't see why everyone is going so crazy over it.

Also the Falcons don't need more than any other team. Their biggest problem was Arthur Smith and he's no longer there. Drake London, Kyle Pitts, Bijan, and they have an underrated D. They can fill whatever else with other picks and JAGs. Those spots aren't as altering as QB.

I guess what I'm saying they covered all bases after being since Matt Ryan left. Kirk is healthy and plays well...great. he doesn't or gets hurt or retires, another ready to go.
If there are that many questions about Kirk’s health, you don’t pay him that kinda money. They just signed him a month ago. This wasn’t some situation where he’d been under contract for a few years and then the injury happened and now the contract doesn’t look as favorable. They gave Cousins that massive deal *after* he tore his Achilles. The ink is barely dry.

Not only that, but if they would’ve told Cousins that they were gonna draft a 24 year old QB with their number 8 pick, there is ZERO percent chance he woulda signed there. He woulda stayed in Minny or signed with the Raiders or something.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
I cannot grok what was going on here at all.
The Falcons GM just spent a top 10 pick on someone that—if things go according to plan—won’t start a meaningful NFL game until he’s 29 years old.

I saw the Mel Kiper reports saying we might draft Nix, and I thought that was the dumbest thing ever. I never even considered this.

Angry Ram

If there are that many questions about Kirk’s health, you don’t pay him that kinda money. They just signed him a month ago. This wasn’t some situation where he’d been under contract for a few years and then the injury happened and now the contract doesn’t look as favorable. They gave Cousins that massive deal *after* he tore his Achilles. The ink is barely dry.

Not only that, but if they would’ve told Cousins that they were gonna draft a 24 year old QB with their number 8 pick, there is ZERO percent chance he woulda signed there. He woulda stayed in Minny or signed with the Raiders or something.

Health or whatever other reason, the odds of him seeing all those numbers are low. Kirk didn't break contract records. I'm sure there's ways they can move on from in a couple years.

It's as simple as having the most important position in football covered both short and long term.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's a 2 year $100m contract. They can cut him after the 25 season for only a $25m dead cap hit but will actually save $10m in cap space in 26 if they do.

When the inevitable happens and they win nothing with cousins they can let him go rather painlessly.

Angry Ram

Nothing wrong with competition. In fact I'd say Cousins is at his best when he's not sure about job security.

I have to laugh about this stuff man. The Athletic slamming Atlanta because they didn't take a player the pre-draft groupthink vetted. And then they have another article talking about how uncertain it is to evaluate QBs.

Atlanta is finally drafting intelligently I think. Taking Penix was a brilliant move. There aren't enough of these guys to go around. Penix is a pocket QB with big balls and Atlanta is gonna love him. Cousins has a high talent kid breathing down his neck to keep him sharp. This guarantees they have improved quality at the most important position and maybe a future with a stud. Win win.

Everyone, literally everyone: "NFL team need to consider their FUTURE!!!!

NFL team: "ok...here you go"

Everyone:

Surprised Meme GIF

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
It's a 2 year $100m contract. They can cut him after the 25 season for only a $25m dead cap hit but will actually save $10m in cap space in 26 if they do.

When the inevitable happens and they win nothing with cousins they can let him go rather painlessly.

At minimum, at least one of those decisions is going to be wrong. Both might end up wrong. But Penix was never going to go higher than 8th in this draft. Ever. Given his age, he’s not someone you draft to sit for 4 or 5 years, which is what the Falcons GM intimated tonight. If they woulda drafted JJ McCarthy, I’d have had no problem with it. He’s 21 and needs to grow. Penix is someone you draft to play now. If you gave them truth serum I guarantee you they’d wish they could undo the Cousins signing right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Huh??? I’m sorry but that is nonsense.

Penix is 24 years old with 2 ACL tears under his belt. Take a look at the long list of QBs drafted in the first round that were 23 or older. It is bleak. Joe Burrow is legit the only success story. If Cousins plays up to his contract, then they just wasted a top 10 pick. If Cousins doesn’t play well, they wasted $100M+ guaranteed. You don’t pay a QB the kinda money you just paid Kirk Cousins and then draft a QB in the top 10 to give him competition and put a fire in his belly. LOLOLOL. That’s something you do to the QB you drafted 3 years ago that’s still on his rookie deal that hasn’t quite lived up to expectations yet. And you wanna see some improvement *before* you give him the deal that Kirk Cousins just got. The Falcons duffed this one into the water. There’s nothing smart or strategic about this.
No it's not nonsense. It is just an opinion that differs from your own.

Penix is a better QB today than he was before the injuries. Those injuries made him learn to win from the pocket. They'll play him as a pocket QB, or they will lose him.

Cousins' presence means he gets a redshirt. I don't care about Penix's age or any of that nonsense. If you protect a QB and he is smart enough to use the pocket protections a long career is possible for him. He'll have time to learn the offense before he is out there in the regular season in games that count.

Year two he will take the job. They'll have Cousins to back him up that year. Then I'm sure Cousins will get dealt or they'll figure it out.

What Raheem has done is ensure he's got the QB to get wins and keep his job (Cousins). Then he also took a shot on a stud QB of the future in Penix. It's the most important spot on the field. So I think you are wrong and will be proved wrong as well as 99% of the media out there regurgitating live groupthink on this one. Let's wait and see my man and in the interim fun exchange. Cheers.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
At minimum, at least one of those decisions is going to be wrong. Both might end up wrong. But Penix was never going to go higher than 8th in this draft. Ever. Given his age, he’s not someone you draft to sit for 4 or 5 years, which is what the Falcons GM intimated tonight. If they woulda drafted JJ McCarthy, I’d have had no problem with it. He’s 21 and needs to grow. Penix is someone you draft to play now. If you gave them truth serum I guarantee you they’d wish they could undo the Cousins signing right now.
That pick sure did help us out though. They could have picked Latu or Verse.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Health or whatever other reason, the odds of him seeing all those numbers are low. Kirk didn't break contract records. I'm sure there's ways they can move on from in a couple years.

It's as simple as having the most important position in football covered both short and long term.
I guess the thing is, I can see this argument especially if you can walk from Kirk in two years. But not for that player. Not that high. Wow.