Draft Day 2 (Part Deux)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You, Memento et. al. make it sound like this kid has no chance to make it and shouldn't have been drafted at all. I have no clue. Do you think Weinke had a say in drafting him? It could be a test of just how good a QB coach he is if he can make Mannion a legit NFL QB.

No chance to make it? Every player has a chance. But my opinion is that he shouldn't have been drafted...or at least not picked before the 6th/7th round. I just don't see the skill-set with him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And they're suddenly infallible on everything draft related? They've made bad picks before. They've screwed up before. And after a second day like this, we should be questioning them.
Did I say that? I merely mentioned that they agreed with my take.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Deservedly so. Easily the worst quarterback in this class. Below-mediocre talent who was propped up by Wheaton and Cooks. All he has is his Wonderlic. He has no touch, he has no awareness on the field, he's a statue in the pocket, he's slow, he has a windup that makes Byron Leftwich look like Peyton Manning, and he only got drafted because of his "pro-style offense" and "smarts". He has no talent of which to speak of. None.

...."Has no talent of which to speak of" ...... yeah, I guess breaking the PAC-12 records for attempts/Completions, and total yardage mean nothing..... like you say, he had to have done it only with his "smarts". So, I guess you're also saying the Rams Scouts, GM, and head coach are idiots?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
...."Has no talent of which to speak of" ...... yeah, I guess breaking the PAC-12 records for attempts/Completions, and total yardage mean nothing..... like you say, he had to have done it only with his "smarts". So, I guess you're also saying the Rams Scouts, GM, and head coach are idiots?

Way to put words into my mouth. I said they should be questioned for these picks. I never called them idiots. Show me one post where I said that. One post.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, you did say Mannion had no talent.

Which, by deduction would make the Rams Scouts, GM and HC idiots for drafting him... if, in fact, that were true.

See, I see that he's an extremely talented QB with a few correctable structural flaws. Something that Cigs, Weinke and the scouts likely saw as well. Heck, I'm not a scout and his issues just JUMPED out at me and the fix would make him not only have a much QUICKER release, but would improve his release point and give him a more consistent release as well as have a lot fewer balls sail on him.

Simple stuff, really... mostly where he's holding the ball and making sure to maintain a compact release out of his better ball position once he gets that set.

But, man, looking at the short vid from his pro day, he just looked lots better than he did getting pummeled by Stanford, for example.

So, does he need QB coaching. Of course. It's why he's not a top pick. However, I am putting forth that while he has flaws, they are not fatal. Moreover, Mannion did show the ability to put the ball into tight windows at OSU, both with Cooks and Wheaton and without them. That he did it without them and with all that pressure in his face... at all, shows he does have talent.

And as our DL demonstrated with Peyton Manning, NO QB rocks with tons of pressure in their face. They just don't. It's why teams build dominating DLs.

I dunno if Mannion will grow into the QB he has the potential to be. Lots of factors still to come into play. However, he has that chance. Considering he's going to be the 3rd string QB and he's now a Ram, I can only root for him with all my blue and gold heart.

Athos

Legend
If you think Mannion can play in the NFC West, after seeing what he did in the Pac-12....I dunno what to tell you.

His ceiling is Trent Dilfer.

Not exactly a winning QB. They fucked it up royally banking on Sam and then relegated themselves to working out a mediocre QB in an absolutely shit QB draft. I'm so convinced he'll never be anything more than JAG that if I lose, you can put idiot under my username for good.

I'm a little embarrassed for some of you.

I'm embarrassed you think we can't have differing opinions. I hate everything I've seen from Mannion. It's just not good. And when you factor in all those TOs, I dunno what you see.

Davis played in a lower DIV with even less tools and looked far better. Mannion isn't a franchise QB. He's a career clip-board guy that prepares the actual starter each week.

And we picked that in the 3rd.

Total failure. This is the very definition of 'need' over 'BPA.'

We could and should have had Paul Dawson to rest JL55 and gotten a mediocre QB in the 4th or 6th. But we chose not to.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
WOW

Just wow

Lotta butt hurt wanna be GM's here, I really could go into ripping a few but what's the purpose.

I'm a little embarrassed for some of you.
How dare people disagree with the front office on a pick.

No front office is above criticism and ours has certainly made a handful of questionable picks in the past.

Some of us think Mannion was a bad pick, and that's OK. I'm sorry that's embarrassing for you.

I'll tell you this much, we'd all love if Mannion made us look stupid. I'm not counting on it though.

UDFA
The only pick that raised an eyebrow on me was Gurley, due to the knee. I do think injuries worry fans more than front offices because they get the medical reports... Still...
If you told me before the draft the Rams would get the best RB prospect in years, 2 OL & a QB.. I'd say the Rams had their priorities in line.
Is their scouting up to snuff? Last year's draft makes me think so, so I'm hopeful.

I liked Mannion before the draft. Size, arm, 4 year starter.. Competitor (manning camp last year, senior bowl), very intelligent.. Pro-style offense. I have no problem with them drafting a QB & no problem with the player.

The lineman? Massive & experienced.. And Brown seemed intriguing to some scouts.. I'm hopeful. Both seem to looooooove football & that's always a plus. I was VERY down on Snisher for failing to draft a QB last season... I have zero complaints today.. We will have to wait & see if they got the right guys.

I like the approach.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
How dare people disagree with the front office on a pick.

No front office is above criticism and ours has certainly made a handful of questionable picks in the past.

Some of us think Mannion was a bad pick, and that's OK. I'm sorry that's embarrassing for you.

I'll tell you this much, we'd all love if Mannion made us look stupid. I'm not counting on it though.

This front office went 7-8-1, got extra premium picks from RGIII, went 7-9, ditto on the next draft, and went 6-10. Thinking they are infallible is a mistake.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lineman that I still like in this draft, excluding Collins.

Jarvis Harrison
Josue Matias
Tyrus Thompson
Rob Crisp
Andrew Donnal
Max Garcia
Laurence Gibson

UDFA
I hate that this post is correct.

I'll take out record & focus on roster, if you don't mind.
Infallible??? C'mon.. Who's saying that?
That being said, I'm happy with the direction they've gone in & the Bradford trade shows me they have the ability to learn.
I'm excited about the upcoming season.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
If you think Mannion can play in the NFC West, after seeing what he did in the Pac-12....I dunno what to tell you.

His ceiling is Trent Dilfer.

Not exactly a winning QB. They fucked it up royally banking on Sam and then relegated themselves to working out a mediocre QB in an absolutely crap QB draft. I'm so convinced he'll never be anything more than JAG that if I lose, you can put idiot under my username for good.

I'm embarrassed you think we can't have differing opinions. I hate everything I've seen from Mannion. It's just not good. And when you factor in all those TOs, I dunno what you see.

Davis played in a lower DIV with even less tools and looked far better. Mannion isn't a franchise QB. He's a career clip-board guy that prepares the actual starter each week.

And we picked that in the 3rd.

Total failure. This is the very definition of 'need' over 'BPA.'

We could and should have had Paul Dawson to rest JL55 and gotten a mediocre QB in the 4th or 6th. But we chose not to.

That is nothing more than your opinion, I don't share it.