DR RAM's Offensive Line Report Rams vs. GB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I just want to start out saying that this was the best performance that I have seen from the Rams OL overall. The grading was very close between the players.

Out of 32 offensive plays in the first half of Rams vs. Packers. These were the scores: Barksdale = 4.60 with false start, 4.75 without it; S. Smith = 4.8125; R. Turner = 4.65625; H. Dahl = 4.71875; B. Richardson = 4.5625; L. Kendricks = 4.81; and Mulligan = 4.6.

How do I grade? Well, I changed my grading a little. I used to only give a possible 5 out of 5 for a key block, but now I give a 5 for a good to great to key block. A 4 for a good block that may not create space or yardage on runs, but is sustained, and a good block that may give a little pressure, but no hit, or touch on QB in pass pro. A 3 for an effective block that was not sustained, or allowed a hit after in pass pro. A 2 for a very brief block, hit, or sack. A 1 for a bad block, hit, or sack, and a 0 for a total whiff, missed assignment, or penalty.

I'll give you an example of what I did:
Down - 1; Distance - 10; Formation - RT Slot RT SB; Where M(middle); Run or pass - R; Yardage - 5 ; Comments: Richardson didn't sustain and got blown back, Turner same. Dahl and Kendricks nice blocks. Smith had nice combo block, and Bark pulled through hole and had a good block. Bark - 5 Smith - 5 Turner - 3 Dahl - 5 Richardson - 3 Kendricks -5

So, it's down and distance, what the formation is, in this case, TE Right, Slot Right, and Single RB. Where means what part of the field. I think you get everything else.

This is how it copies over from excel:
2 5 LT Double Wing SB Reverse R 20 FD Great looking play. Givens nice run/cuts. Richardson missed 2 2nd level blocks or could have been a HR. Nice kick block by Kendricks-key block. Bark - 5 5 5 5 0 5
So you see why I can't give you the whole report, nor would I want to publish it publicly, it's too much info for an opposing team. It can show tendencies, etc. I like the info myself, so that I can get a feel for what we do well, not so well, etc. This took me roughly 3 1/2 hours to compile, fast forwarding through commercials and the defense.

Under the DR's scope - Joe Barksdale

Pass Protection -
Footwork: Very good feet, very quick, unexpected from what I read. He doesn't use a typical slide/kick step. He uses more of a shuffle, pound the ground small steps, kind of like when I scouted Matt Kalil. It's effective, but he's a little susceptible to the bull rush because of this, although he was able to re-anchor in most cases. Against the speed rush: He was going against Clay Matthews, leader in sacks, and he fared very well. Joe backpedals efficiently, works hard, and doesn't give anything away. He needs a little work on his angles, so that he can help create a bigger pocket on his side. On one play he was asked to block a wide end, while a TE was outside of him. The TE released to the inside, and the DE rushed straight in. Barksdale took a perfect angle, shot out of his stance like a guy running a 40, covered a lot of ground, and made an effective block. Supreme effort.

Run Blocking -
Phone-booth: He is very effective in small spaces, and many times cross blocked with Smith. He has good feet. Extremely effective in turning or sealing his guy the way he wanted to. He seals and kicks with equal efficiency. In-Space: Moves real well. He has no problems getting to, setting up, or completing a block on the next level. Barksdale had a couple pull blocks that he executed perfectly, one going to his right and through the hole. Very good backside blocker, and this is where I see a lot of players taking the play off.

Overall Impression:
He's a very big body that plays well in a tight or open space. He uses his hands very well, particularly his placement is good in keeping leverage on his opponent. He works and competes extremely hard. His communication and work with Smith appeared as if they had played together for years. I would like to see a little more power, and a better angles in the passing game.

Under the DR's scope - Shelley Smith

Pass Protection -
Footwork: He didn't give up anything in the half that I scouted. Not even a whiff of Bradford, and he doesn't get eaten up either, he anchors extremely well.

Run Blocking -
Phone-booth: Awesome in small spaces, and many times cross blocked with Barksdale. Je had a lot of chip/help blocks. Smith had more combo blocks than anybody else on the team. He has no problem helping his teammate and then completing his block. He seals and kicks with equal efficiency. In-Space: Very good getting to the next level. Very good at pulling. Plays with great leverage.

Overall Impression:
A huge upgrade over anyone that has played LG for the Rams in a long time. He made the most difficult stand out blocks that I saw on Sunday. He seemed to be everywhere, and his teamwork with Barksdale and Turner was mostly him. He helped everyone. Smith destroyed a few guys on seal blocks, collapsing the whole DL. Good with his hands. Could be a more powerful straight on blocker, but is still effective. He sticks on his blocks, and is very decisive in his actions. Early to say this, but he looks like a long time starter for us barring injury.

I want to stress that the defense we played was the best, most disciplined, fastest, quick reacting that we have faced. Many of our plays were good plays and well blocked, but GB's backers in particular, react and fill faster than anybody I've seen this year. GB's DB's and safeties in turn were never fooled or out of position. What we did for how they played was pretty darn good. We just needed more wins on the outside.

Questions, comments?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Great evaluation DR, every time you do this I'm in awe. I'm particularly impressed with your comments regarding Smith and if his performance continues, coupled by the return of (Wells & Staffold), we might steal one or two on the back side. :hehe:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nice breakdown. Very detailed. If he can keep that up, I'll be less concerned about the line.

yeah, I said it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Do you feel that the change on the left side helped improved Turner, Dahl and Richardson? It seemed that everyone was playing pretty well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Do you feel that the change on the left side helped improved Turner, Dahl and Richardson? It seemed that everyone was playing pretty well.
@ramsince62 Smith impressed me the most, in terms of grade, but also in the complexity of what he performed, with what experience??? Bright future.

That's hard to know, but they all did play well in this game. And let me add, they were not blatantly holding like GB, they were playing pretty clean. I think Richardson probably played his best game of the year, but I don't think he will be our long time starter with the addition of Hunter and Barksdale. IMO, they will both push him for that spot once Saffold comes back. I think Dahl played his best game of the year too. It's really too early to say this, but I will anyway, I think Smith is locked in.

Small sample size, but I know this...we have a lot to choose from now, a lot of viable options. My concerns are lessening, but to be fair, I should say that Sam is not sitting back there for 5 seconds. So I am comparing now to what we've seen, but hardly any whiffs, penalties, or missed assignments...I see a lot of promise.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Good stuff Dr.

Just curious what you saw out of GB's DTs. Did the loss of Raji kill their DT production? Do they have plus talent outside of Raji?

What Im trying to get at is, do you think Smith's positive report will carry forward when he faces more stout competition?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Good stuff Dr.

Just curious what you saw out of GB's DTs. Did the loss of Raji kill their DT production? Do they have plus talent outside of Raji?

What Im trying to get at is, do you think Smith's positive report will carry forward when he faces more stout competition?
Worthy is a beast, Pickett is still very good, and they have another rookie (can't think of his name), who plays very well. Raji just weakened their rotation a little being out. GB was the best defensive unit that I've seen this year, or at least they played like that in this game. Their recognition was scary fast, almost like they knew our plays. Sample size is too small to really tell, but he impressed me, and not for any one thing, but a lot of things. He's seems like a very smart well rounded player. He's not a mauler and brawler. He's not a dominant entity. He just seems so solid, and with this being his first game, shouldn't he only get better?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
Good stuff Dr.

Worthy is a beast, Pickett is still very good, and they have another rookie (can't think of his name), who plays very well. Raji just weakened their rotation a little being out. GB was the best defensive unit that I've seen this year, or at least they played like that in this game. Their recognition was scary fast, almost like they knew our plays. Sample size is too small to really tell, but he impressed me, and not for any one thing, but a lot of things. He's seems like a very smart well rounded player. He's not a mauler and brawler. He's not a dominant entity. He just seems so solid, and with this being his first game, shouldn't he only get better?
I was wondering if it had anything to do with Raji being out. I think the Rams really messed up when they let Pickett walk, he really ate up blocks well, and we didn't find a DT who could do that until we drafted Brockers.

My real question is, how much do you think their performance had to do with Green Bay not having much tape on Barksdale and Smith? Do you think the tape showed any ways they could be attacked/overmatched?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think SJ and DR probably share your analysis here Doc, there were runs where SJ got to the second level untouched and JMO IF he can get there just five times a game can get a head of steam , he can be SUCH a help to our passing game ,he's a between the tackles guy now ,but IMO he can be the best in the league at that still yet with a little better blocking.
Thanks for the effort,good stuff.
I'm not giving up on this year ,we have possibilities.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
Good stuff Dr.

I was wondering if it had anything to do with Raji being out. I think the Rams really messed up when they let Pickett walk, he really ate up blocks well, and we didn't find a DT who could do that until we drafted Brockers.

My real question is, how much do you think their performance had to do with Green Bay not having much tape on Barksdale and Smith? Do you think the tape showed any ways they could be attacked/overmatched?
Good question, but one I can't answer. I saw GB try to attack them in different ways without success, except Bark was a little susceptible to the bull rush. As far as being reactive to what Bark and Smith are doing, certainly they may up having "tells" in their games, possibly alerting their opponent to what they are trying to accomplish. We'll have to wait on that.

Their performance was a bit unusual, for the amount of experience and time they have been playing in the NFL, so I guess we should take that with a bit of caution.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great breakdown Doc, thank you....oh and you have some O neg on your lab coat that I don't remember seeing before, haha. Loving the high grades on these guys. I know it is just one game, so we have a very small same size, but why do u think these guys were released or on a practice squad?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Faceplant said:
Great breakdown Doc, thank you....oh and you have some O neg on your lab coat that I don't remember seeing before, haha. Loving the high grades on these guys. I know it is just one game, so we have a very small same size, but why do u think these guys were released or on a practice squad?
I talked a little in another thread about S. Smith, and it seems as if they were fairly high on him, and that he played well, but he had a couple injuries, one that kept him out a whole season after making the active roster. Reports were that he was playing well in the preseason, but the Texans already had a solution at both guard positions, they have a very good OL, but they were having problems at the backup tackle or swing tackle if you will, and it became a numbers game for them. Some thought that Smith would be a better fit in a zone scheme, because he moves very well, but he's not overly powerful, and I can see that in his game. Maybe they released him so that he could find a job somewhere else. In any case, we were not the only team interested, a few put a claim on him, but we had the golden ticket.

In Barksdale's case, it was really hard for me to find information on him, other than they went through a couple regime changes, and he had some injuries. He fell out of favor quickly and went from being groomed, and seeing playing time in his rookie year, to being cast aside. He has a couple technique issues, but from what I read about him, to what I saw, seemed like two different guys. Barksdale didn't only play well, but he did so against Clay Matthews, and that is saying a lot. Small sample, but quality sample.

I don't know if Boudreau is a genius, or if these guys are just seizing the opportunity to play in the NFL. I do know this, I never saw improvement of players under our last line coach, I only saw regression. Remember, Saffold looked like a different player to me before his injury, in a good way. Turner has been a career backup, and Richardson had one of the worst ratings for all OT's in the league before coming here.