Downtown Rams Wild Card Weekend Roundtable

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Downtown Rams Wild Card Weekend Roundtable

227364_29cdd47d4094402184eb476ef7da9d51~mv2_d_4188_3138_s_4_2.webp

It's Wild Card weekend and so our team here decided to give you our predictions this week of each game.

Meet our Panel:

Jake Ellenbogen (@JKBogenDTR)

Blaine Grisak (@bxgrisakNFL)

Alex Kelly (@Nation_Rams)

Gary Weed (@ksudodger)

James Lamar (@Lamar_Football)

Nicolas Galarreta (@Rams24_7)

Joseph Isola (@JISO57)

Mark Lujan (@MLujan520)

#5 Tennessee Titans vs. #4 Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday @ 4:20PM EST

227364_70e35efea7f9488a862df491d4d572b5~mv2.webp

The Titans were able to sneak into the playoffs last week with a 15-10 win over the rival Jacksonville Jaguars. Now, they have the tough task of playing what was at one point the hottest team in the league.

Jake: Titans 24, Chiefs 20

When you look at the loss of Eric Berry from the beginning of the year, that has clearly hurt the Chiefs. Still a great offense but the Titans have a solid defense. I expect Derrick Henry (who is better than Murray anyway) to pound the rock and All-Pro safety Kevin Byard to force a turnover or two to take this one to the next round.

Blaine: Chiefs 27, Titans 20

The Chiefs aren’t the team they were earlier in the season, but they have been better and are running the ball like they did earlier in the season. Marcus Mariota is not a quarterback that is going to take advantage of the depleted secondary.

Alex: Chiefs 27, Titans 17

Alex Smith and Kareem Hunt have brought the Chiefs back to life after a mid-season skid. DeMarco Murray is out and Marcus Mariota hasn’t played great all year. That’ll be the difference in this one

Gary: Chiefs 31, Titans 17

No DeMarco Murray is a killer for the Titans. Alex Smith will make plays when needed and the defense will bend not break.

James: Chiefs 24, Titans 20

The Chiefs have had an explosive offensive attack at times this season. When Alex Smith pushes the ball downfield, they are a tough group to stop. Kareem Hunt will have tough time finding space against a stout Titans run defense lead by Jurrell Casey, but the passing defense will allow Hunt a lot of space in the flat and on screens. Ultimately, this game will come down to turnovers, and the Titans are the only team in the playoffs with a negative turnover differential.

Nick: Chiefs 31, Titans 14

The Titans benefitted from playing a weak schedule & in a weak division. They don’t belong and will get blown out by the Chiefs behind Kareem Hunt

Joseph: Chiefs 27, Titans 17

The Titans made the playoffs after a fairly unimpressive season. Mariota turned the ball over a decent amount and the running game struggled even with a solid offensive line and two notable running backs. The Chiefs, with experienced coach Andy Reid, are hitting their stride after a lack luster middle of the season. The Chiefs have a better defense and a very explosive offense behind Hill, Hunt, and Kelce. The Chiefs should prevent the Titans from scoring enough points to make this a tight match up. While I expect a good game, I also think Kansas City will return to New England after blowing them out to start the season.

Mark: Chiefs 31, Titans 24

Mariota puts the Titans on his back but comes up short, against an up and down Chiefs teams who find their groove and comes alive on offense. Kareem Hunt finds the end zone twice and Alex Smith leads a 2 minute drill to close the game out.

VERDICT: 7-1 Chiefs

#6 Atlanta Falcons vs. #3 Los Angeles Rams on Saturday @ 8:15PM EST

227364_49d557a920bb458aa933d896e5b2fbdb~mv2_d_3200_1680_s_2.webp

The Rams meet the defending NFC Champion Atlanta Falcons in their first postseason game since 2004...which was against the Falcons.

Jake: Rams 30, Falcons 20

The most exciting game of the week is going to offer a good matchup. In the end I think when you look at how many weapons the Rams have, how well their playing and how lost the Falcons look without Kyle Shanahan you wonder if this could be a blowout. I don't think so, the Falcons did win last season 42-14 in this building. It will be close but Todd Gurley will close the door.

Blaine: Rams 31, Falcons 20

The Falcons are the defending NFC champions and have the experience. However, Rams have scored 25+ per game in their last five games that their starters played while the Falcons have scored under 25 per game in their last five games. Rams get their rematch with Minnesota.

Alex: Rams 31, Falcons 17

The Rams are rested and are ready to go to their first playoff game since 2004. The Falcons struggle forcing turnovers and the Rams have a good record when they win the turnover battle. The Falcons also have a banged up line, and I expect Aaron Donald to have a field day.

Gary: Rams 24, Falcons 10

I think this game will come down to which defense makes more plays and with the 2 best linemen for the Falcons not playing, it sets up very well for AD, Quinn, Brockers and crew to get to Matty Ice early and often.

James: Rams 34, Falcons 24

The Falcons have been so inconsistent this season, that it is difficult to predict which team the Rams will play. I will stick to what we can be sure of. The Falcons run a defense like what is run in Seattle and we know that Sean McVay can scheme the Rams in ways to attack that type of defense. Julio Jones is a beast, and paired with a receiving threat out of the backfield like Devonte Freeman, the Rams will have all they can handle on defense. When it comes down to it, the Falcons don’t have the offensive firepower, as they did last season, to keep with the Rams attack.

Nick: Rams 28, Falcons 17

The Rams continue their winning formula behind strong days from Gurley and Woods. The Rams pass rush gets Ryan off his game and minimizes Julio’s opportunities. The game doesn’t come down to Ficken as the Rams win by two scores

Joseph: Rams 28, Falcons 14

The Rams should be able to win their first playoff game in over a decade. The last time the Rams played in the playoffs it was a loss in Atlanta. This time should swing in the Rams favor. The Falcons will not be able to stop the rushing attack of LA. Atlanta relies on a strong pass rush from their young defense, but McVay will be prepared. Quick throws with short drop backs; play action, and screens should all be used to prevent Atlanta’s pass rush. The Rams will have to make sure to pay attention to Julio Jones, who can go off for multiple touchdowns and 100+ yards in any given game.

Mark: Rams 38, Falcons 10

A game that I’m too emotionally invested into but here we go….The national media seems to think the Rams don’t have the playoff experience to match up with Atlanta, this is where I tell you they have it all wrong. Forget records, forget age and forget about the fact that the Rams haven’t been to the playoffs in 14 years. The Los Angeles Rams come out and dominate the Falcons in all 3 phases making them look very much like a team that has the dreaded Super Bowl hangover. LA stuns Atlanta much like they did Seattle in week 15.

VERDICT: 8-0 Rams

#6 Buffalo Bills vs. #3 Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday @ 1:05PM EST

227364_69ed5950fe07442d9f1e06283e52f5b0~mv2_d_4501_2872_s_4_2.webp

The Bills made it by the skin of their teeth, but regardless, they ended a 17-year playoff draught. No one can take that away. However, the Jaguars or rather Sacksonville plans on taking away the opportunity to play the Patriots in the AFC divisional round with their historic defense.

Jake: Bills 21, Jaguars 12

This one seems like a nightmare matchup for the Bills. However, I have my money on them. It's a crazy year, the Jaguars haven't looked great as of late and Tyrod Taylor does a great job of not turning the ball over. If the Jags can't force Tyrod to turn the ball over the Bills will control this game.

Blaine: Jaguars 27, Bills 9

Bills have the feeling of a Cinderella team, but Jacksonville just overmatches them. A hurt LeSean McCoy doesn’t help.

Alex: Jaguars 24, Bills 9

These are two teams that haven’t played in a playoff game in a long time. The Jags have lost two straight, but that will end here. Andy Dalton can’t save the day this time.

Gary: Jaguars 27, Bills 14

Same problem as Titans for the Bills. Shady McCoy is not 100% which costs the Bills. But if Evil Bortles shows up, he might let the Bills hang around. In the end, Bortles gets it done with rushing and defense

James: Bills 20, Jaguars 17

The Bills Super Bowl was making the playoffs, but I’m not sure they’re done. The Jaguars have lost two games in a row to inferior competition, and now I think they make it a third. With the game on the line Blake Bortles hardly seems like the player that can lead his team to victory, and will likely continue to make costly turnovers. The Jags defense is loaded, but have been exposed at times this season against good offensive lines. Talent wise, the Jaguars are far superior to the lowly Bills, but the Bills are riding an emotional high that I believe will take them to Foxborough.

Nick: Jaguars 17, Bills 13

The Jags win a nail biter by one possession, thanks to the Sacksonville defense sealing it in the end. The Jags offense can’t muster much, but the defense adds a score and holds Shady McCoy & the Bills in check all day

Joseph: Jaguars 24, Bills 7

Congratulations to Buffalo for ending their extremely long playoff draught! However, I can’t see it going much further than the first round. Their only chance of winning is if Blake Bortles throws multiple interceptions and McCoy goes for two or more touchdowns. Jacksonville’s defense is elite and a serious threat to shut out this Buffalo offense, which is fairly average. The Jaguars should easily win this and get ready for a rematch in Pittsburgh.

Mark: Jaguars 23, Bills 10

In a game where Lesean McCoy isn’t gonna be 100 percent healthy, the Jags defense should be able to contain the Bills offense with ease. Bortles will struggle but Jacksonville will do enough in the run game to win, Fournette is just too much for Buffalo to handle. Sorry Bills fans.

VERDICT: 6-2 Jaguars

#5 Carolina Panthers vs. #4 New Orleans Saints on Sunday @ 4:40PM EST

227364_13058349b6aa45f693a9a571ffcbf565~mv2.webp

The Saints are back in the playoffs and they come right into a home game and a revamped defense. It also helps Cam Newton is coming off his worst performance as a starting QB in his career.

Jake: Panthers 24, Saints 23

I really am not confident in Cam Newton. What I am confident in, is this Carolina defense. The lights are bright and perhaps we get a good game out of Cam but I expect the Panthers to steal one on the road and set up an easy road to the NFC Championship. One rule of thumb, you never want to play the same team three times in a season. Carolina has lost two but got closer last game. This is the one where they overcome it all.

Blaine: Saints 24, Panthers 13

Cam Newton couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn if he had tried last week. This postseason has the feel of a last hoorah for Drew Brees. Panthers have lost to the Saints twice already this season and I don’t expect that to change.

Alex: Saints 38, Panthers 10

Cam Newton is coming off of a career-worst performance against the Falcons. He looked lazy. It’s not a good time to be lazy. I think Brees and the Saints light the Panthers up.

Gary: Saints 34, Panthers 21

Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara will exploit the Panthers biggest weakness (not really a weakness) in run defense. Saints defense has surprised all year. Could come down to which Cam shows up.

James: Saints 30, Panthers 28

It would be nice to gush about how Cam Newton will roll right over the Saints, but he’s been inconsistent so often this year, that it’s a hard bet. No one on the Saints really wants to play the Panthers for a third time, and I think this will be the biggest slugfest of the weekend. The rookie running backs, Kamara and McCaffrey are going to take backseats in this one as each team tries to neutralize them. Cam Newton will throw a late pick to Marshon Lattimore, and Drew Brees will lead the Saints on a game winning drive.

Nick: Panthers 24, Saints 21

Newton and the Panthers get rolling against an overrated Saints defense. The underrated Panthers D is able to limit Kamara and Ingram, forcing Brees into too many obvious passing situations. Panthers win by less than a possession after a late Saints comeback attempt

Joseph: Panthers 31, Saints 28

In what may be the only upset in the weekend, Carolina will be able to get their first victory against New Orleans this season. It is extremely difficult to beat a team three times in one season, but the Saints sure do have a chance. The reason I favor the Panthers here is because Carolina is able to get it done even when Cam does not play great. Their defense knows New Orleans well and should work to limit Brees from have an explosive showing. If they can contain the Saints offense and play their own brand of offense they should be able to play off the upset and go into Philadelphia with momentum.

Mark: Saints 27, Panthers 14

A division rematch, this game should come down to whoever protects the football and who wins the time of possession. Both teams can run the ball well but New Orleans can do it better. Alvin Kamara shows out in his first career playoff game while Mark Ingram chews the clock in the fourth qtr. Another close one but Cam Newton turns the ball over and Carolina can’t keep up.

VERDICT: 5-3 Saints

JRobinson

MiLB
Sorry Jake, but some of your picks seem like a total reach without any solid facts to back up your thought process. Just sayin’. Not saying you will be wrong because anyone can beat anyone on any given day. But the mere reasoning of your picks doesn’t seem convincing.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I see the Rams and Falcons as fairly even on offense but defense will win this game.
The Rams have a better overall defense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm usually reserved when it comes to picking the Rams. Cautiously optimistic would be like drinking a vat of Kool Aid for me. Been wrong too many times over the years. But if I try and be as unbiased as possible, I don't see how anyone would not pick the Rams.

Top scoring team. Good quarterback and good receivers. Good offensive line. Great running back. Balanced attack. Great offensive play caller. Just too much for a team like the Falcons. And that is without mentioning how good the defense can be in these games with Wade calling the shots there.

But even with all that, this is the NFL. Anything can happen. And the years of beatdowns have left me scarred. Part of me is ecstatic about how good this team is. Another part of me keeps wondering when the other shoe will drop.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Titans? :ROFLMAO: Wow:rolllaugh:

But I think Carolina beats the Saints:death:....kinda easy too....

Interesting takes....glad you posted....was this for lil ole me???:whistle:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry Jake, but some of your picks seem like a total reach without any solid facts to back up your thought process. Just sayin’. Not saying you will be wrong because anyone can beat anyone on any given day. But the mere reasoning of your picks doesn’t seem convincing.
This was a quick paragraph. If you want me to explain my thought process I can. I personally believe that the Titans are the more talented team. Marcus Mariota had a rough season playing with three injuries at a time. With DeMarco Murray out the Titans are a better offense, Derrick Henry is the better back, the more explosive and powerful back. The Titans are second in rushing touchdowns which I think backs up how this run blocking group is. Henry is going to help the Titans control this game. The Titans also have one of the better safeties in football Kevin Byard. The man is a playmaker and will be a problem like he has all year with his coverage and his ability to take the ball away. The Chiefs have the 28th defense in the league and I think the Titans who were able to beat the Jaguars last week and hang tough with our Rams the week before will be able to exploit a bad defense. The Titans are by no means blowing out the Chiefs but I think they get the job done. Also, if Eric Berry was in this game would be different but Daniel Sorenson is not a viable replacement and has been a total liability. Titans win.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

Haha thank you! Yeah I'm riding with the Titans. I like their team even though if they lose this week they probably get McDaniels and are better off long term.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'm usually reserved when it comes to picking the Rams. Cautiously optimistic would be like drinking a vat of Kool Aid for me. Been wrong too many times over the years. But if I try and be as unbiased as possible, I don't see how anyone would not pick the Rams.

Top scoring team. Good quarterback and good receivers. Good offensive line. Great running back. Balanced attack. Great offensive play caller. Just too much for a team like the Falcons. And that is without mentioning how good the defense can be in these games with Wade calling the shots there.

But even with all that, this is the NFL. Anything can happen. And the years of beatdowns have left me scarred. Part of me is ecstatic about how good this team is. Another part of me keeps wondering when the other shoe will drop.
Watching this team for me will be like watching Kansas Jayhawk basketball. I think that KU almost every year can win it all. This year I feel like the Rams might be the league's best team. Unfortunately, there is always a VCU or a Stanford or an Oregon that beat Kansas. I am hoping the Rams can finish what they started. The Pats were 11-5 the year they beat the Rams in the Super Bowl. If I haven't posted my parallel's here already...Here they are:

View: https://twitter.com/DowntownRams/status/949000443589464066

JRobinson

MiLB
This was a quick paragraph. If you want me to explain my thought process I can. I personally believe that the Titans are the more talented team. Marcus Mariota had a rough season playing with three injuries at a time. With DeMarco Murray out the Titans are a better offense, Derrick Henry is the better back, the more explosive and powerful back. The Titans are second in rushing touchdowns which I think backs up how this run blocking group is. Henry is going to help the Titans control this game. The Titans also have one of the better safeties in football Kevin Byard. The man is a playmaker and will be a problem like he has all year with his coverage and his ability to take the ball away. The Chiefs have the 28th defense in the league and I think the Titans who were able to beat the Jaguars last week and hang tough with our Rams the week before will be able to exploit a bad defense. The Titans are by no means blowing out the Chiefs but I think they get the job done. Also, if Eric Berry was in this game would be different but Daniel Sorenson is not a viable replacement and has been a total liability. Titans win.

Meh. I think you have to look and see how well the Chiefs offense is playing right now. They have won 5 straight while scoring at least 25 points in each contest; even with second stringers playing the last game against Denver. Sure, the Chiefs defense is in the bottom half of every statistical category aside from one, points allowed. They are 15th, and they held a good Pittsburgh team to 19 pts in week 6 and a high scoring Philly team in week 2. While that was earlier in the season, and with a pretty healthy team overall, not all those guys are hurt now. Every team has injuries. The Titans run game is the only thing that would win them this game. If they can’t establish the run, and the Chiefs know this, then it’s gonna be a long day for Mariota’s offense. Just because Berry isn’t playing, doesn’t mean Mariota will throw all over this unit. Mariota has not been very good this season (13 TD to 15 INT), and that’s with a solid offensive line too. Who scares you Corey Davis? Nah. Walker does, but that’s about it.

I believe you’re underestimating the Chiefs offense and the fact that the Titans are 25th against the pass. The Chiefs primary goal will be to stop the run. Period.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I give the Titans a chance just because you can't trust the Chiefs, who are so up and down its impossible to tell which team is going to show up.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Meh. I think you have to look and see how well the Chiefs offense is playing right now. They have won 5 straight while scoring at least 25 points in each contest; even with second stringers playing the last game against Denver. Sure, the Chiefs defense is in the bottom half of every statistical category aside from one, points allowed. They are 15th, and they held a good Pittsburgh team to 19 pts in week 6 and a high scoring Philly team in week 2. While that was earlier in the season, and with a pretty healthy team overall, not all those guys are hurt now. Every team has injuries. The Titans run game is the only thing that would win them this game. If they can’t establish the run, and the Chiefs know this, then it’s gonna be a long day for Mariota’s offense. Just because Berry isn’t playing, doesn’t mean Mariota will throw all over this unit. Mariota has not been very good this season (13 TD to 15 INT), and that’s with a solid offensive line too. Who scares you Corey Davis? Nah. Walker does, but that’s about it.

I believe you’re underestimating the Chiefs offense and the fact that the Titans are 25th against the pass. The Chiefs primary goal will be to stop the run. Period.
You make good points. I guess we will see. Wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Haha thank you! Yeah I'm riding with the Titans. I like their team even though if they lose this week they probably get McDaniels and are better off long term.
I got your back, bro. I think the Titans D and Oline can keep them in this game for an upset.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like their team even though if they lose this week they probably get McDaniels and are better off long term.
If I were Josh, I'd go Indy....easy conference and good QB...or Detroit...same reason.
I give the Titans a chance just because you can't trust the Chiefs, who are so up
At the moment, they are UP
I got your back, bro. I think the Titans D and Oline can keep them in this game for an upset.
Listen to the KC crowd today...and tell me the Titans won't fold in that...
I think the Chiefs have a very good secondary...even without Berry

Ram65

Legend

The Titans didn't run Mariota against the Rams. He had that nice scramble down the sideline. If they pull out all the stops and let Mariota run the pass option they have a chance. It is the Chiefs in the playoffs right?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not in new Orleans...Bad Cam is coming to town.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
new Orleans...Bad ASS Cam is coming to town.
I fixed it for you. :D

Oh yeah LR... I forgot to mention that Cam is bringing the second best defense in the NFL along with him.

Defense wins playoff games.

Last edited:

JRobinson

MiLB
I think it was a shot in the dark by Jake to really truly pick the Titans to win this game. We all saw that the Chiefs were dominant in the first half, but could not generate a pass rush in the second half which cost them the game.