Donovan McNabb on Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
I want to draft a QB to sit behind Bradford, and if Sam doesn't work out.. our QB of the future could be on the roster and ready to play. That's the smartest plan I can see. It has to be the right QB though. Hopefully Les is scouting some QB's because this is a pretty good year to do so.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm getting the impression that there are a plethora of good QB prospects in this draft, not just in the first round. With guys like Wilson and Foles doing well, it shows it's becoming more possible to get a good QB outside the first round. And this draft looks to have more prospects than past years.

There may be more prospect but they aren't the quality of previous years. At least not from what I've seen so far.

V3

Hall of Fame
I know most here won't agree but I'd trade Bradford in an instant if we could get a first round pick for him. I'd probably even do it for a 2nd round pick. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to win a Super Bowl unless the defense is elite. And that's not even taking into consideration his durability issues.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I know most here won't agree but I'd trade Bradford in an instant if we could get a first round pick for him. I'd probably even do it for a 2nd round pick. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to win a Super Bowl unless the defense is elite. And that's not even taking into consideration his durability issues.
Gotta disagree. I think he WILL lead us to a Superbowl. I also wouldn't mind seeing us use a prime draft pick on a QB to not only back him up but to groom for the inevitable AND prevent us from having to go all in on Sam's next contract.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I've gotta disagree with the injury stigma since becoming a pro. Explain to me why you think Bradford has durability issues. Look it over.

V3

Hall of Fame
I've gotta disagree with the injury stigma since becoming a pro. Explain to me why you think Bradford has durability issues. Look it over.

He's been injured two out of four years. That's too much in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:

A55VA6

Legend
The moment we trade Bradford, is probably the moment he leads that team to the playoffs and more. Best we hang on to him for now at least..

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I want to draft a QB to sit behind Bradford, and if Sam doesn't work out.. our QB of the future could be on the roster and ready to play. That's the smartest plan I can see. It has to be the right QB though. Hopefully Les is scouting some QB's because this is a pretty good year to do so.
Pardon me if this post is taken offensively, but F THAT draft a guy to replace someone who if he works out will play 12 more years?
Nah ,besides you really think your gonna get a third rounder who WHEN Sam proves he's not Tom Brady,which face it is what the problem is here,he's not Tom Brady ,that the new guys gonna be better?

Sams fine ,he's working out,he's sturdy enough,this franchise has endured enough change for changes sake.
AGAIN Sam is not a slug can we please acknowledge he may never carry a team on his shoulders but he doesn't need to be carried either.

A55VA6

Legend
Pardon me if this post is taken offensively, but F THAT draft a guy to replace someone who if he works out will play 12 more years?
Nah ,besides you really think your gonna get a third rounder who WHEN Sam proves he's not Tom Brady,which face it is what the problem is here,he's not Tom Brady ,that the new guys gonna be better?

Sams fine ,he's working out,he's sturdy enough,this franchise has endured enough change for changes sake.
AGAIN Sam is not a slug can we please acknowledge he may never carry a team on his shoulders but he doesn't need to be carried either.
I love Sam, but what's wrong with drafting a backup QB that has the potential to be a starter down the road or at least quality backup? Seems to be one of the most important positions in the NFL these days. Look at Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, guys like that. I'm not saying invest in a 1st round pick.. I'm saying at least draft a QB.. unless you want Brady Quinn or Austin Davis to be our QB if Sam goes down or not have a quality player IF Sam doesn't meet our expectations.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I love Sam, but what's wrong with drafting a backup QB that has the potential to be a starter down the road or at least quality backup? Seems to be one of the most important positions in the NFL these days. Look at Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, guys like that. I'm not saying invest in a 1st round pick.. I'm saying at least draft a QB.. unless you want Brady Quinn or Austin Davis to be our QB if Sam goes down or not have a quality player IF Sam doesn't meet our expectations.
I'm down with that. Probably the best investment you can make these days high in the draft and we have AT LEAST two first rounders. I think Sam will be fine but at worst if you draft a real good QB, he is AWESOME trade bait. If there is a chance of getting a good QB in this draft - take him. Like any other position is a sure thing anyway. Trade down or just take the best QB available.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We could get TWO 1st round picks for Bradford right now, but I would be angry if we traded him.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
They aren't trading Sam.

But going forward, I think a lot will hinge on making the playoffs in 2014.

There is no excuse for missing the playoffs next year for Fisher or Bradford. This team will have way too much talent to be losers again next year.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I'm not the biggest bradfors fan but we cannot trade him, it would be too big of a gamble, to start over with a rookie, and it would be idiotic to try something new with a vet that's not on this roster. And it would also be a gamble to not make drafting a qb a BIG priority becuase we don't know how sam is gonna come back from The injury,... He may never trust his knee again, who knows, but we cant afford to sit back and hope he comes back like nothing happened.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I just think planning a replacement for a guy as young as Sam with a high (third up) draft pick is a waste, Kelllen Clemens is a fine backup in that situation ,if Sam was in is 7-8 th yr and you were looking three years down the road like GB was when they drafted Rogers ,not knowing about Favre requiring a steak through the heart,I'd be down with it,but we can get player in the third that can and will help us NOW,and chances are that third round QB isn't gonna be as good in the offense as a vet you train up for injury duty.
Id be fine with a 6th 7th round athlete though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The thought of trading Bradford is preposterous. Doesn't even need an explanation.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Think, pig in a poke developmental Qb or Tyrann Mattheiu

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I just think planning a replacement for a guy as young as Sam with a high (third up) draft pick is a waste, Kelllen Clemens is a fine backup in that situation ,if Sam was in is 7-8 th yr and you were looking three years down the road like GB was when they drafted Rogers ,not knowing about Favre requiring a steak through the heart,I'd be down with it,but we can get player in the third that can and will help us NOW,and chances are that third round QB isn't gonna be as good in the offense as a vet you train up for injury duty.
Id be fine with a 6th 7th round athlete though.

I dunno. Russell Wilson sure didn't wait to long to take that veteran Flynn's job last year. All of what, a training camp? There are a lot more pro style offenses being run in the NCAA now, and it is no coincidence that there are a lot more young QBs making the leap to starter, sooner than in the past. I think it would be irresponsible for the Rams to NOT draft a backup QB in the first three rounds. Sam has simply NOT proven that he is able to stay on the field, regardless of the circumstances of his injuries. It is not a knock on him...it is not like he WANTS to get injured, it just happens.

With the team seemingly loading up its roster with quality players, and hoping to make a consistent run at a title (we all hope), do we really want to not have more depth of quality at the most important position on the field? As always, this will probably be taken as an "anti Bradford" post, and for the life of me I do not know why people get so defensive on here anytime someone even mentions Sams mortality, but this is simply my opinion of how the team should prepare IN CASE we are in this position again next year. Kellen has played admirably for sure, but how would you like our chances if Sam were to go down in week 10 of next year, with the Rams sitting at 7-3???

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dunno. Russell Wilson sure didn't wait to long to take that veteran Flynn's job last year. All of what, a training camp? There are a lot more pro style offenses being run in the NCAA now, and it is no coincidence that there are a lot more young QBs making the leap to starter, sooner than in the past. I think it would be irresponsible for the Rams to NOT draft a backup QB in the first three rounds. Sam has simply NOT proven that he is able to stay on the field, regardless of the circumstances of his injuries. It is not a knock on him...it is not like he WANTS to get injured, it just happens.

With the team seemingly loading up its roster with quality players, and hoping to make a consistent run at a title (we all hope), do we really want to not have more depth of quality at the most important position on the field? As always, this will probably be taken as an "anti Bradford" post, and for the life of me I do not know why people get so defensive on here anytime someone even mentions Sams mortality, but this is simply my opinion of how the team should prepare IN CASE we are in this position again next year. Kellen has played admirably for sure, but how would you like our chances if Sam were to go down in week 10 of next year, with the Rams sitting at 7-3???
Nothin' wrong with that take. And I certainly wouldn't consider it to be "anti" anything. It's more pro-team than anything else.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Gotta disagree. I think he WILL lead us to a Superbowl. I also wouldn't mind seeing us use a prime draft pick on a QB to not only back him up but to groom for the inevitable AND prevent us from having to go all in on Sam's next contract.
I agree with you but, what says we have to raise his salary? At this point he's not proved his worth!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Sam Bradford being compared to Matt Flynn, stopped me cold man,don't mean to be dismissive, but Flynn had never even won that job.

Edit: Not to raise any ire here and I know I'm supposed to hate all things Seahawk, but I love Russell Wilson,he is all but tall, great kid, great leader, if they lose him they are JAT.