Decobie Durant has learned a lot from Jalen Ramsey: 'He has taken me under his wing'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Decobie Durant has learned a lot from Jalen Ramsey: 'He has taken me under his wing'​

One of the benefits of being a cornerback who’s drafted by the Los Angeles Rams is the opportunity to play alongside Jalen Ramsey. He’s established himself as the best corner in the game today, and someone every young defensive back can learn a lot from.

Decobie Durant, who the Rams drafted in the fourth round, is already realizing that just a few months into his Los Angeles tenure. The former South Carolina State cornerback has been taken under Ramsey’s wing, learning a lot from No. 5 in their brief time together.

“He has taught me how to dial in when I’m on the field,” Durant said, via HBCU Gameday. “He has taken me under his wing, and taught me a lot. I’m lucky to have him take the time to mentor me in my first season.”

Durant is a player the Rams loved in the draft, despite the fact that he went to a smaller school and didn’t accumulate much experience against top-tier players. His performance against Clemson, however, really stood out to Les Snead and Sean McVay after he came down with two interceptions.

He’s a confident cornerback, which is essential at that position, so he fully believes he can compete at the highest level with the Rams – as he should.

Whether he starts right away is another question. The Rams have Ramsey and Troy Hill as two starters, with David Long Jr. likely stepping in as the nickel corner. Durant could overtake Long for that spot, especially given Long’s struggles at times last season, but the Rams are likely to give Durant the necessary time to develop before getting thrown into action.

Decobie Durant taken under wing by Jalen Ramsey​

Decobie Durant met with the LA Rams media this week and opened up about his relationship with three-time All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

“He has taught me how to dial in when I’m on the field,” Durant said of Ramsey. “He has taken me under his wing, and taught me a lot. I’m lucky to have him take the time to mentor me in my first season.”
The defending Super Bowl champions selected Decobie Durant out of South Carolina State University with their fourth round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. Durant was the first defensive player selected by the Los Angeles Rams and signed with the team in early June. His rookie contract is a four year deal worth $4.1 million that includes a signing bonus with a guaranteed worth of $504,336.

Decobie Durant joins a Rams secondary that is headlined by one of the best defensive backs in the NFL in Jalen Ramsey. LA Rams Head Coach Sean McVay spoke on the way he admired rookies like Durant being willing to learn from the veterans on the team.

“These are guys that you hope can become pro’s pro. They’re approaching things the right way,” McVay said of the Rams rookies. “They’re mature rookies, they’ve got a good look in their eye, they know how to come out and go to work. They know, ‘Hey, I’m gonna look at what these other veterans are doing and be able to mimic and emulate that, but put my own spin on it.’ And these guys like football, and that’s really important.”

“It was fun to be with the other draft picks, and rookies at camp,” Durant said. “We were able to build a quick bond through the events and activities the NFL Players Association planned for us.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Talent recognizing talent. Get him ready Rams. I want to see some fuckin picks. :beer2: :woozy2:

Psycho_X

Legend
The raw talent and ability in our secondary is freakishly good right now. Just looking at Rochell and Durant alone the ability is off the charts there they just lack experience and knowledge. Ramsey obviously a freak and even Nick Scott's raw ability is amazing. The coaches have their jobs cut out for them but this could be a scary good group of players if they all take to the coaching and gel as a unit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Rochell doesn't show something this year in camp he'll be half way through his team control with nothing to show for it. IMO last year's draft definitely had upside but not guys who can translate early and often. Well outside of Skow. Time's ticking so hopefully Rochell is ready to compete and win a big role.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
The raw talent and ability in our secondary is freakishly good right now. Just looking at Rochell and Durant alone the ability is off the charts there they just lack experience and knowledge. Ramsey obviously a freak and even Nick Scott's raw ability is amazing. The coaches have their jobs cut out for them but this could be a scary good group of players if they all take to the coaching and gel as a unit.
100 percent - I am a strong believer that we can develop some really strong depth in the secondary. The return of Troy Hill as well as Long Jr finally turning the corner should aid with the development of Rochell and Durant.

I think the biggest question on Durant is how well he can run at this level - position and technique is important but speed kills at this level.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Rochell doesn't show something this year in camp he'll be half way through his team control with nothing to show for it. IMO last year's draft definitely had upside but not guys who can translate early and often. Well outside of Skow. Time's ticking so hopefully Rochell is ready to compete and win a big role.

RR31 was ready,but just got hurt.Troy Hill adds a lot to this group.

I guess Ernest Jones didn’t show much by taking over the playcalling as a rookie.Now he is starting next to Bobby Wagner

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
100 percent - I am a strong believer that we can develop some really strong depth in the secondary. The return of Troy Hill as well as Long Jr finally turning the corner should aid with the development of Rochell and Durant.

I think the biggest question on Durant is how well he can run at this level - position and technique is important but speed kills at this level.
Well his speed is what separates him from some CB’s & why he should be good as a gunner.His size is what is going to be his biggest issue.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am very happy with the way the draft turned out for the Rams with the selection of the four DB's (2 CB/2 Safeties) along with the very important return of the versatile veteran Troy Hill. DC Morris has now a beefed-up corner cadre which was a major concern going into the draft for me. I was beating the drum for outside corners very early last season.

At the moment the CB room appears to be congested full of Nickle & Dime typical DB's. Hill is considered much more of this type than an outside corner. This year's 4th rd corner Durant selection would also fall into this type. We know that David Long is also far more Nickle/Dime corner too.

Many here in ROD liked Long's 2021 overall performance @ outside much more than I do. Long best performance IMO, came when he has not tasked any heavy outside corner assignments.

Last yr 4th rd selection Robert Rochell (who was injured most all season) would look to be the key here for this upcoming season. :bomb:He is far more outside corner than the other 3 mentioned above. All-Pro DB Jalen Ramsey is at his best when unleashed in an instant to play all the many different DB assignments. Ramsey goes into "Predator Mode" right into the fearful :scream:brains of opponents' QBs. This is Jalen at his best!

If DC Morris can find two good outside corners that can remain on the field beside Ramsey from his corner cadre then this 2022 DB might be as good as it was in 2020 under DC Staley.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's gotta be a surprise cut or two ahead from the DBs. Safety I think is the biggest competition but corner also holds big opportunities. Hoping Raheem opens it all up and reforms roles this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There's gotta be a surprise cut or two ahead from the DBs. Safety I think is the biggest competition but corner also holds big opportunities. Hoping Raheem opens it all up and reforms roles this year.
I love Ram player developmental surprises:clinkingbeer:!

You're right that the Safety unit should undergo serious TC/preseason competition. There is not much invested in this safety unit as far as team $$$ salary funds to where any safety can be a :bullseye:.

If Taylor Rapp's starting safety post is not secured early then his near $3 million hit might get some consideration. This is the only real spot to look at.

Hard for me to believe 3rd yr defensive signal-caller Jordan Fuller(if healthy) would not win the starting safety post usually played by TR over the past 3 seasons. This would place JF in a better position to make many more plays when on the field. JF appears to be a better safety overall than TR, but not by much.

It's the other starting safety post (that would normally play deeper) that will be fun to watch. Nick Scott is still :fire1:hot from his starting 4 gm playoff spectacular run to the NFL Championship, would be my choice. IMO NS is our best deeper playing safety. I say let's keep him on the field full-time for more of what we enjoyed late last season.

Snead also just resigned his drafted hybrid safety/ILB'er 5th yr veteran Travin Howard who plays the pass very well. Then Snead's 2020 Third-round selection, now entering his 3rd yr Terrell Burgess (if fully recovered from his serious rookie injury in 2020) plus two new 2022 drafted rookies Quentin Lake & Russ Yeast.

DC Morris usually prefers to carry a large number of active safeties on the MR53. Snead has him with 9 safeties under contract at this time. Of course, DC Morris might reverse up & may go light @ safety & HEAVY @ corners instead so much to enjoy!

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am very happy with the way the draft turned out for the Rams with the selection of the four DB's (2 CB/2 S

Last yr 4th rd selection Robert Rochell (who was injured most all season) would look to be the key here for this upcoming season. :bomb:He is far more outside corner than the other 3 mentioned above.
Well, I'm hoping for major improvement from Robert Rochell because last season, he was hurt and he was raw. Go back and watch the Giant game where Rochell was getting toasted by Giants rookie Kadarius Toney, until Toney went out with an ankle injury. Rochell could not stick with him whatsoever and whiffed on a couple of tackles too.

Long seemed to gain confidence as the season progressed as the game slowed down for him and I do believe those two will battle it out for the outside Corner position, but don't sleep on Durant because although limited in size, he's right in your hip pocket and could play there in the future IMHO.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well, I'm hoping for major improvement from Robert Rochell because last season, he was hurt and he was raw. Go back and watch the Giant game where Rochell was getting toasted by Giants rookie Kadarius Toney, until Toney went out with an ankle injury. Rochell could not stick with him whatsoever and whiffed on a couple of tackles too.

Long seemed to gain confidence as the season progressed as the game slowed down for him and I do believe those two will battle it out for the outside Corner position, but don't sleep on Durant because although limited in size, he's right in your hip pocket and could play there in the future IMHO.
I actually wouldn't hold the Toney thing too much against Rochell.
That guy's a video game. You really need a smaller body type CB to shadow him, imo.