Davis Allen (Short Article) DaSilva

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

McVay: TE Davis Allen took 'tremendous step in the right direction' this offseason​

USATSI_23406471.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

June 13, 2024 12:28 pm PT

Powered by AnyClip

Tyler Higbee’s 2023 season ended in heartbreaking fashion, suffering a torn ACL and MCL in the Rams’ playoff loss to the Lions in January. Given the severity of the injury and the timing of it, Higbee might not be ready for the start of the 2024 season.
That would leave Colby Parkinson, Davis Allen and Hunter Long atop the depth chart at tight end, which isn’t a terrible group to have but it would certainly be better with Higbee available. Parkinson has had a nice offseason so far despite being limited slightly by an injury, but Allen is lurking, too.
Sean McVay said this week that Allen has really progressed well this offseason, a positive statement from the Rams head coach about his second-year tight end.
“I thought Davis Allen took a tremendous step in the right direction,” McVay said. “The game makes sense to him. I thought when Higbee ended up needing a spell towards the latter part of the year if he missed a game, Davis filled in and he did a great job. Played big time in Baltimore, he played big in Washington, made some big-time plays in the Detroit game. I always loved watching his tape at Clemson where there’s certain guys you can just see have a feel.”
Allen was a fifth-round pick by the Rams last year and he suited up for 15 games, making one start. He only caught 10 passes for 95 yards, but he was also targeted just 11 times in 192 offensive snaps played.
It’s unlikely that he’ll overtake a veteran like Parkinson, whom the Rams signed in free agency, but it seems he’s squarely in the mix to be TE2 while Higbee is out.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tight End will be an exciting group to watch through the season starting the first day of camp.

The position will certainly be a battle for playing time with a group of guys with some interesting qualities.
This should be one of our top position groups to watch along with the DB's.

We need one of these TE's to fulfill the role and provide the services of Higbee while Tyler recovers.
This will be no easy task and is an often criticized and thankless position.

Davis Allen is tall and fluid, he impressed me with his ability to use his body and catch in traffic. needs to get better in protection but shows promise.

Cody Parkinson is another 6' 7" guy who seems to have a nasty streak, can protect and be an offensive threat.
It would make sense that Colby once healthy is the heir apparent to Higbee with Allen as a very capable #2

Hunter Long Will he ever be more than a throw-in in the Jalen Ramsey trade?

Brycen Hopkins? A bit of an enigma let's see if he is even extended

ROOKIES
Neal Johnson 6'4" Rookie Louisana
Nikola Kalinic83TE6-4248272York (Canada)
Miller Forristall82TE6-5243261Alabama

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Tight End will be an exciting group to watch through the season starting the first day of camp.

The position will certainly be a battle for playing time with a group of guys with some interesting qualities.
This should be one of our top position groups to watch along with the DB's.

We need one of these TE's to fulfill the role and provide the services of Higbee while Tyler recovers.
This will be no easy task and is an often criticized and thankless position.

Davis Allen is tall and fluid, he impressed me with his ability to use his body and catch in traffic. needs to get better in protection but shows promise.

Cody Parkinson is another 6' 7" guy who seems to have a nasty streak, can protect and be an offensive threat.
It would make sense that Colby once healthy is the heir apparent to Higbee with Allen as a very capable #2

Hunter Long Will he ever be more than a throw-in in the Jalen Ramsey trade?

Brycen Hopkins? A bit of an enigma let's see if he is even extended

ROOKIES
Neal Johnson 6'4" Rookie Louisana
Nikola Kalinic83TE6-4248272York (Canada)
Miller Forristall82TE6-5243261Alabama
Hopkins is no longer with the Team.

McVay seems to like Hunter Long. Spoke well of him last year before he was injured … again.

McVay spoke well of Long again the other day; and seemed to suggest he was healthy. Hope so.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
The guy has vacuum cleaner hands but had some weird whiffs blocking last year. Hopefully the blocking is where McVay sees the improvement.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Hopkins is no longer with the Team.
Yeah but unsigned anywhere I thought? Maybe a late add I was thinking but probably not

3 vets is a bit slim for McVay, we should have a P.S guy that can step up if needed but that may come later.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
Without Hopkins we may not have won that SB....
Maybe but we would have had another TE on the roster and maybe he would have done as well as Hopkins (maybe even better) since we would have had to draft or grab another TE to replace the non-existent Hopkins. I doubt the Rams would have had only two TEs on the roster.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I just looked, I wasn't sure... But, it doesn't appear Brycen Hopkins is on any team right now.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I just looked, I wasn't sure... But, it doesn't appear Brycen Hopkins is on any team right now.
Yeah, that's what I see too. I think he is a late add for us if we don't find a better 4th TE for depth/P.S

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am hopeful he takes that big step forward this season but there is a reason they brought in Parkinson. Under McVay my hopes of top TE production have ended in mostly disappointment, and yes I know Higs is a good all-rounder at the position, and I realize Kupp is TE-like in what he does. But the truth is the only TE who has emerged for McVay is the TE he didn't draft.

Would be very nice to see Allen change that.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The TE room will be interesting to watch this season. Really curious who emerges as the go-to with Higbee out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am always underwhelmed by TE's on the Rams. Aside from blocking, they are less important to me than a kicker. TE has been the Rodney Dangerfields of Rams history. Even @CGI_Ram agrees!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopkins isnt even on the pre-season 90, saw he had a tryout with the Pats. Was a total busted pick, had the physical tools but couldnt put it together
If he's lucky he'll get on a PS somewhere

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Davis Allen seems like a Higbee type of tight end. Bigger, not really fast but can get open and make catches. Parkinson is intriguing. They paid him more than I would have expected for a tight end who's been primarily a backup. He's a big target with nice athletic ability. They must see something in that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im thinking that Hunter Long sticks around until Higbee is good to go, then it will be Allen, Higs and Park

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Parkinson could end up being the big move this offseason hardly anyone is talking about.

My only reservation saying that is the Rams seemed very horny for Brock Bowers.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Maybe but we would have had another TE on the roster and maybe he would have done as well as Hopkins (maybe even better) since we would have had to draft or grab another TE to replace the non-existent Hopkins. I doubt the Rams would have had only two TEs on the roster.
Let's give the guy some credit. Dude was clutch in the super bowl. Those are facts, not "maybe's".

We also had 4 TE's on our roster in 2022, so I doubt we would have drafted a "better" TE than Hopkins.

Last edited: