David 'Deacon' Jones dies at 74; Fearsome L.A. Rams lineman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Deacon was with out a doubt the best Ram ever, what a player, was damn near superman. I can remember watchin him run down tailbacks.
train

Deacon Jones not only took great pleasure in tackling quarterbacks behind the line of scrimmage, he came up with the name 'sack' to better describe it.

Deacon Jones, who played for the Rams from 1961 to '71 and later for the San Diego Chargers and Washington Redskins, was the league's top defensive player in 1967 and '68 and was selected to the Pro Bowl eight times. He was named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980. (Los Angeles Times / September 9, 1994)

David 'Deacon' Jones | 1938 - 2013

By Keith Thursby, Special to the Los Angeles Times
June 3, 2013, 11:37 p.m.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-0604-deacon-jones-20130604,0,2236197.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 6197.story</a>

Hall of Fame football player David "Deacon" Jones, one of the Los Angeles Rams' heralded Fearsome Foursome whose outspoken persona and relentless pursuit of quarterbacks helped turn defensive linemen into stars, died Monday of natural causes at his home in Anaheim Hills. He was 74.
continued
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-0604-deacon-jones-20130604,0,2236197.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 6197.story</a>

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: David 'Deacon' Jones dies at 74; Fearsome L.A. Rams line

The Deacon coined the term sack, and when he retired they outlawed the head slap. It was said he could break a helmet with his hands.

RIP
David "Deacon" Jones, a true Hall of Fame player.

train

Deacon was the "inventor" of the headslap too Jim, opposing lineman said their heads would ring for weeks after going against Deacon Jones...

Saw his rookie game in the Coliseum and little did I know what I was looking at, also saw his last game there as well...I got this news last night about his passing and was awake till 3:30am going over in my head the many games I saw him & the Foursome play... The Fearsome Foursome was my All-Time favorite, any sport, any era & David Deacon Jones in particular...

I met Lamar Lundy's brother at the Monterey Jazz Festival about 8 years ago, me and a buddy were walking around checking things out at the Monterey Fairgrounds & I spotted this very large black gentleman decked out in Rams regalia, as I was, from a distance it looked like #85 Lamar Lundy, so I made a beeline for him, as I got closer I realized it wasn't Lundy, so I said, "do you know how much you look like Lamar Lundy, Rams Fearsome Foursome?" He said, "I should, I'm his brother"... We both laughed and I introduced myself & invited him for a coffee (Monterey gets cold at night folks), he accepted so we sat on a bench & chatted for about a 1/2 hour and had coffee, then went our separate ways...Very nice guy, Rams fan to this day...

Sorry about getting off topic but if you know your Fearsome Foursome history these guys remained great friends the rest of their lives and often came to each others aid in times of need, they were indeed like brothers...

R.I.P. Mighty David Deacon Jones, you will always be the standard by which ALL Defensive Ends will be measured and the Fearsome Foursome the standard for ALL "D" lines...

Oops sorry, didn't see that you had mentioned the headslap Jim...

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ramsdominate said:
Deacon was the "inventor" of the headslap too Jim, opposing lineman said their heads would ring for weeks after going against Deacon Jones...
Saw his rookie game in the Coliseum and little did I know what I was looking at, also saw his last game there as well...I got this news last night about his passing and was awake till 3:30am going over in my head the many games I saw him & the Foursome play... The Fearsome Foursome was my All-Time favorite, any sport, any era & David Deacon Jones in particular...
I met Lamar Lundy's brother at the Monterey Jazz Festival about 8 years ago, me and a buddy were walking around checking things out at the Monterey Fairgrounds & I spotted this very large black gentleman decked out in Rams regalia, as I was, from a distance it looked like #85 Lamar Lundy, so I made a beeline for him, as I got closer I realized it wasn't Lundy, so I said, "do you know how much you look like Lamar Lundy, Rams Fearsome Foursome?" He said, "I should, I'm his brother"... We both laughed and I introduced myself & invited him for a coffee (Monterey gets cold at night folks), he accepted so we sat on a bench & chatted for about a 1/2 hour and had coffee, then went our separate ways...Very nice guy, Rams fan to this day...
Sorry about getting off topic but if you know your Fearsome Foursome history these guys remained great friends the rest of their lives and often came to each others aid in times of need, they were indeed like brothers...

R.I.P. Mighty David Deacon Jones, you will always be the standard by which ALL Defensive Ends will be measured and the Fearsome Foursome the standard for ALL "D" lines...

Oops sorry, didn't see that you had mentioned the headslap Jim...

no worry, I posted this cuz it was, the article, a tribute to a great, great athlete. Amazing fellow and the best I ever saw. I remember the draft of 61, and thinkin how cool, David "the Deacon" Jones. Had a ring to it much like the ringing in offensive lineman's ears for the rest of his career. :fused: haha. Oboy I miss those days, something, weren't they?
train

jap

Legend

Ramsdominate said:

Deacon himself said he did not invent the head-slap, but he did say he perfected it. :cool: