Daughter Graduates with AS in Math today!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
She's a prodigy that's taken awhile to finish her Associates Degree, but she's debt free for her first "two" years, even though she took 6 years to do it AND she got accepted to New College in Sarasota to their Math program.

Her goal is to be a Math professor at the University level.

As someone who went to Lehigh and had plenty of math (up to 3rd semester Calc as well as engineering level physics and chem), I can honestly say that she's by far the best science/math teacher I've ever been around. And as my kids can attest, I don't give compliments. I'd say they're more earned accolades or evaluations.

And she's the best I've been around (no offense @bluecoconuts ).

I keep trying to get her to at least contemplate some applied math like analytics, but teaching makes her happy. She's been tutoring for the last 6 years and for some wealthy clients, she so good, she earns $50/hr...which is more than I ever made on a per hour basis.

I'm so proud.

And it stinks because I'm almost certain to miss the graduation ceremony which is in a couple of hours because I got a freight train of a migraine bearing down and it's too late to take the hydrocodone even if I wanted to (have to have a full stomach or I'll just throw up 'til I dry heave).

So, I'll be super proud from home and give her big hugs when they all come back.

Oh, and my youngest, who's super artistic, painted her graduation cap in a Star Wars theme, with "May the Fourth Be With You"

I'll post a pic when I can. She even used a pipe cleaner so that the tassel is Yoda's lightsaber.

GraceSWcap.jpeg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good on both of your daughters. A degree in math is amazing, and the graduation cap looks beautiful.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Math makes my head hurt.
I love the debt free part!!

As a disabled Vet, we made sure to let the kids know since they were little that there was no way we'd have the money to outright pay for their college.

And because she spent a lot of time with less than full time units so that she could work, she didn't qualify for my Chapter 35 benefits like my son did when he got his Carpentry certifications at the local trade school.

But yeah, she's seen that I'm still paying off student debt from 20 years ago (ONLY 3 PAYMENTS LEFT!!!), so she's insisted on paying as she went.

She'll probably have to do some loans at New College, but her total indemnity will be tons less than if she just borrowed for the whole thing.

As for Math...pretty much everything makes my head hurt, but I like math, especially applied math like how it applies to engineering. Force, load, torque... physics is still a subject I really enjoy reading about and my family knows that if I see the start of an engineering show like Modern Marvels or stuff like that, I'll be embedded into the couch like a tick until it's over.

But yeah, especially because the wife and I were very open about our finances (or lack thereof a few times), they are better money managers than we ever were at their ages. They all save and are all very dubious about debt.

Doesn't mean every young person can do it because she had TONS of support from us and from several grandparents.

Still, I'm so proud.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Good on both of your daughters. A degree in math is amazing, and the graduation cap looks beautiful.

Well, my youngest is our enby, but yeah. It looks better in person. The pic doesn't really capture the details.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Well, my youngest is our enby, but yeah. It looks better in person. The pic doesn't really capture the details.

I wish I could make art like that. It really is awesome.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
My oldest son had planned a dinner and is finally showing interest in learning to cook.

I guess it's kind of fortuitous that I had a migraine because I was able to fight through it and cook the dinner...two turkey breasts, sauteed portabello mushrooms, naan, and a salad.

A good time was had by all.

It's cool to be able to share with my friends. :grouphug:

Memento

Name
Jemma
Speaking of good times had, I went with an irl friend (a prosecutor) to Beyond Sweet and had a blast with the shakes.