Daniel Fell's wife on ... NFL Wives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I finally brought myself to read that piece of blathering crap. This woman has a huge ego problem and she is trumping her and her friends up. Her life as an NFL wife is not any tougher than anyone elses and my wife sure would enjoy the luxury of going to cooking class, and working out and not having to worry about paying the mortgage as she heads to Starbucks on our kids playdates. These NFL wives that struggle to lead the lives of models and prefer to go by their first name instead of riding the fame of their husbands........What a crock of crap. freak Mrs. Daniel Fells. She who thinks she carved her own path and thinks that she and her friends live in the real world. I am sorry I wasted my time reading that crap.

I will tell you for a fact that most NFL wives DO live in the real world. Are there exceptions, certainly, but for the most part these wives/girlfriends experience the same struggles everyone else does. If you think otherwise, you are sorely mistaken. There is a huge amount of stress and uncertainty as most of the players have little guarantee where or if they will be playing next game, let alone next season. One wrong play and a career is over.

It's too bad you consider it crap because their are a lot of NFL wives and family out there who know this article to be spot on. If you can't find in your heart to understand a wife, mother, woman expressing her thoughts, fears, and trepidations, perhaps a re-evaluation is in order.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
St. Louis isn't called The Gateway to the West for no reason. How do you study American History without learning where St. Louis is? That's on her for sure. I know that comedians and others make jokes about how the people they poll can't even name the three branches of the government or find France on a world map but I thought those were just uneducated people they were polling. Is it really that bad out there? It certainly doesn't reflect the education of any of my children.

What's your take?

It's surprising how little knowledge / awareness certain "educated" people have - I've done work for various people from all continents and I see this a lot. You'd be surprised (or not) to know that many people from London have zero knowledge of the rest of the UK and where counties and cities are placed - it's surprising (and very disturbing).

I used to do a lot of work with an american marketing consultancy and they used to say that the US is so big, that you have to treat each state individually, sometimes each city, because the knowledge of a high %age of the population don't have much understanding of what's outside of their immediate boundaries.

But as for an American History student, I would have thought that knowing where St. Louis is and knowing a bit about it would have been a given - ohh well you live an learn...

What I have noticed is that the younger generation is losing out on a lot of knowledge due to the internet etc - i know I'm sounding ridiculous now, but I swear I think having all of this knowledge literally at you fingertips on smartphones etc is reducing the amount they are using their brains. When I was a young kid i was taught a lot of things by my parents, lots of things like from basic knowledge of all continents, geography etc to how to plant and grow food, where to go fishing, how to sew, iron clothes, how to fix things, how to build things etc - use a library, use a reference book - common sense things, which have set me up in good stead in later life. I guess it's learning and respecting our planet, animals and other people, something I think is missing in our new 'throwaway' digital age - I've taught students of all ages, and I'm constantly surprised when I ask a question which is outside of their chosen subject area how little of them can answer me.

ok grumble over -

Alan

Legend
shaunpinney with a grumble:
It's surprising how little knowledge / awareness certain "educated" people have - I've done work for various people from all continents and I see this a lot. You'd be surprised (or not) to know that many people from London have zero knowledge of the rest of the UK and where counties and cities are placed - it's surprising (and very disturbing).

I used to do a lot of work with an american marketing consultancy and they used to say that the US is so big, that you have to treat each state individually, sometimes each city, because the knowledge of a high %age of the population don't have much understanding of what's outside of their immediate boundaries.

But as for an American History student, I would have thought that knowing where St. Louis is and knowing a bit about it would have been a given - ohh well you live an learn...

What I have noticed is that the younger generation is losing out on a lot of knowledge due to the internet etc - i know I'm sounding ridiculous now, but I swear I think having all of this knowledge literally at you fingertips on smartphones etc is reducing the amount they are using their brains. When I was a young kid i was taught a lot of things by my parents, lots of things like from basic knowledge of all continents, geography etc to how to plant and grow food, where to go fishing, how to sew, iron clothes, how to fix things, how to build things etc - use a library, use a reference book - common sense things, which have set me up in good stead in later life. I guess it's learning and respecting our planet, animals and other people, something I think is missing in our new 'throwaway' digital age - I've taught students of all ages, and I'm constantly surprised when I ask a question which is outside of their chosen subject area how little of them can answer me.
Yeah, I agree with everything you've said here although maybe not to the degree that you do when it comes to the peril of the internet. While it's true that having to do research at a library will probably cause you to retain more of what you've learned (not to mention the incidental knowledge you gain while trying to find pertinent material) I think that the sometimes superficial searches done by today's youth on the internet are responsible for more subjects/topics being researched. It's a balancing act between less in depth critical research on a large number of subjects versus in depth research on a few. On the whole, I think the internet is a good thing in that regard. For me, the danger that the internet poses to the younger generation is the real problem of all the bogus information that's available. That's when your teacher should step in but it doesn't seem to be happening often enough.

Then there's the responsibility that parents have to help their children learn. I have a globe of the world that has a place of honor in my living room that my kids have been forced to use whenever we talked about subjects that dealt with more than our back yard. While they weren't very happy about being forced to use it when they were younger (except my daughter who loves geography and math :love:) they're happy about having done it now.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great read.

And I would guess that she had heard of St. Louis, just didn't know which state it was in. I don't think that makes her uneducated.

Would be very scary to be a woman home alone for days at a time with kids....very scary.

She's missing her husband, whom it sounds like she loves very much - your financial situation doesn't change that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I will tell you for a fact that most NFL wives DO live in the real world. Are there exceptions, certainly, but for the most part these wives/girlfriends experience the same struggles everyone else does. If you think otherwise, you are sorely mistaken. There is a huge amount of stress and uncertainty as most of the players have little guarantee where or if they will be playing next game, let alone next season. One wrong play and a career is over.

It's too bad you consider it crap because their are a lot of NFL wives and family out there who know this article to be spot on. If you can't find in your heart to understand a wife, mother, woman expressing her thoughts, fears, and trepidations, perhaps a re-evaluation is in order.

:confused:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I enjoyed it. We always hear about how the players are doing and how they're adjusting, but you rarely hear about their families. Jackie Long commented that it was dead-on, and I remember how reluctant she was to leave South Beach for St Louis, but she supported her husband and his dreams, and I thought that was cool. These women are fairly selfless and they have to carry a lot of baggage around.

Both figuratively and literally.

So she's in a higher tax bracket. That doesn't mean she's devoid of feelings.
freak her? Man, I really don't think that's called for.

The way I see it you know what you are signing on for. If you don't want that life style then go marry someone else. I know plenty of Doctors wives that live without their husbands most of the week and they are fine and happy living the life. I think there was a lot of stuff in that article that tried to make her and her friends out to be more than they are. Sure they are people and have feelings just like me. My feelings are that I think she tries real hard to paint a much worse picture of her life than it actually is. It was all a bit overdramatic to me.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way I see it you know what you are signing on for. If you don't want that life style then go marry someone else. I know plenty of Doctors wives that live without their husbands most of the week and they are fine and happy living the life. I think there was a lot of stuff in that article that tried to make her and her friends out to be more than they are. Sure they are people and have feelings just like me. My feelings are that I think she tries real hard to paint a much worse picture of her life than it actually is. It was all a bit overdramatic to me.

You know what you are signing on for - that applies to everybody. All of us make decisions knowing what could potentially happen.

So by what you are saying, nobody can ever complain about life at all - actually, she wasn't even complaining in this article. What she did was let people know a little tidbit about her experiences as an NFL wife - something that most of us probably haven't ever heard before. Try looking at things in a positive light...this article was nothing but good.

Doesn't matter how much money you make....you still FEEL like everybody else does. And while Fells makes more money than most of us, it's not like we're talking about a guy with a $10 million contract here...I loved reading her story.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The way I see it you know what you are signing on for. If you don't want that life style then go marry someone else.
lol. C'mon. Yeah, don't marry someone you fell in love with because their career, living arrangements, and health are filled with uncertainty. Because that's what life and love are all about. Having stability. Meanwhile every military wife is probably going through the same thing on a larger scale, as well as every wife of a traveling salesman, pilot, or truck driver. Money should never be a disqualifier for the legitimacy of someone's feelings of anxiety or loneliness.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, … bitter much Elm ?
We all come from different backgrounds & environments and lead different lives. Perhaps she and her husband won a sort of financial/success lotto, but I don't see this article as anything other than sharing an interesting story about how NFL wives deal with their shared experience. Professional sports wives are a relatively small group that we don't hear about often, unless it's the bad news pertaining to a domestic abuse problem. This is actually a fairly pleasant story, and it makes plenty of sense to me that these women would bond and seek to make the best of their new circumstances. Not only are beginning NFL players pretty young, their wives are often younger, and they may both be leaving their hometowns and the only real support system they've ever known for the first time in their lives. Sure, these ladies are privileged in a way we may never be able to relate to, but I find it an interesting read on how the other half live and cope, … and if the 80% divorce rate is true about NFL wives, then there is really no guarantee of a stress free ride. I had never really considered the security concerns of what it might be like being a young woman with a child in a new town where the general public is notified well in advance that their husband would not be home. And then there are worries like game day injury and the longer term risks dealing with partners suffering with brain injury.
We all tend to imagine how the grass may be greener among those we have little knowledge when they project a pretty picture, and we are often wrong. We are only human, we can only do the best we can under our given situation, and this story did make me think about something I had probably never given another thought. While we give considerable support to the players of our favorite teams, their wives & girlfriends are part of the package which largely go unnoticed.
I thank the OP for posting this.
Totally agree.

I liked the article... thought it was sincere and heartfelt and gave a food glimpse into how difficult being an NFL wife can be.

And I am embarrassed by one comment here... sorry, but it was bullshit.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I can sympathize somewhat with the struggles of these wives who are left to "handle" the family without the companionship...but there are thousands of stories like this where the "man" of the house is never around because he's working 50 hrs/week at Home Depot making chump change trying to keep it together. These wives have everything they need at their disposal, minus having their man at home.

Money can't buy happiness(so goes the old saying), but it sure gives you more options when things are difficult.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Stopped reading here... I'm speechless.

You must be young and still believe in Disney movie love stories. That one and only crap is just fables. There are millions of people in the world and to think there is just one person that is your match is silly. Love is a decision, especially for women. In fact I had one tell me that a long time ago.

I am sorry I embarrassed you. I don't understand how I embarrassed you with a comment but whatever. I say to each his own. I doubt there is anything you could possibly say that would embarrass me.

To put the pitchfork crowds at ease, I'll let this thread die. Have at me.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap

You are way off base with your comments. Sometimes opinions are best left unsaid when based on feeling instead of fact.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Let's get back to commenting on the content of the article and stay away from criticizing one another. Whenever a thread becomes more about a fellow member or members than the OP, it is headed in the wrong direction.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You must be young and still believe in Disney movie love stories. That one and only crap is just fables. There are millions of people in the world and to think there is just one person that is your match is silly. Love is a decision, especially for women. In fact I had one tell me that a long time ago.

I am sorry I embarrassed you. I don't understand how I embarrassed you with a comment but whatever. I say to each his own. I doubt there is anything you could possibly say that would embarrass me.

To put the pitchfork crowds at ease, I'll let this thread die. Have at me.
I get what you're saying and agree.
It was an interesting article but like you said, I'm not coming away feeling sorry for her. And to me, the article mirrors what her celeb life was like, enjoyable at first but after awhile it wears on you. She liked the lifestyle now she doesnt

This place is great because we can share opinions and views. And while harsh, I appreciated your honesty man

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Sorry, but I can't follow you there, brother. Been married 25 years to the only woman I've ever been with. She's not only my one and only, she's my next breath.

Now if your life experiences have taken you down a different path, then it is what it is. That said, it's rarely wise to project one's life experience onto everyone else as truth. It may be your truth, but it's not THE truth.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack an already disheveled thread, but wanted to get that bit in.

Now, GET BACK TO THE OPPER!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm thinking of using this^ Photo as a "Symbol" Ever time I disagree with someone, and feel like punching the computer screen, I'll just post this, with 'No comment'. What do you think!!:D
Works for me.