Dan Pompei Draft Tweets: Not A Good Year for A Developmental QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Dan Pompei @danpompei

11. If I were Matt Forte, I'd show up for OTAs.

10. The depth for quality running backs is really impressive in this draft. Two go in the first; 8 more should go in rounds 2-3.

9. Thinking Utah's Eric Rowe is going to be taken higher than a lot of people suspect, and a number of teams like him best at S, not CB.

8. In the WR class, I have come to think Amari Cooper will be drafted ahead of Kevin White after not being sure for awhile.

7. Scouts tell me there are 15 WRs in this draft who will make NFL impacts. It's the best position for depth. I'd take one early and often.

6. If the Bears take a pass rusher at 7, I'm starting to suspect it might not be best available player (assuming it's not Gregory).

5. NFL scouts like Randy Gregory way more than any other pass rusher in this draft. They also are still wondering if they can trust him.

4. There are only two QBs in this draft that many NFL teams believe will be NFL starters. Not a good year to find a developmental QB.

3. I'll be really surprised if Jameis and Mariota aren't both off the board by pick No. 3.

2. Talked with a lot of people about Jameis. Some love him, but I can tell you this: there is no consensus on him.

1. I think the Bears have done a lot more homework on others than Jameis Winston. I suspect his upcoming visit is just covering the bases.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Dan Pompei @danpompei

4. There are only two QBs in this draft that many NFL teams believe will be NFL starters. Not a good year to find a developmental QB.

I get it. It's not a strong class. But this feels like piling on, at this point.

I mean; it's not like 5-7 quality starters come out of every draft. It's just not that simple.

WestCoastRam

Legend
CGI, I seriously curious to see what happens with the other QBs in this class besides Winston and Mariota. The talking heads all say that Hundley and others will go in rounds 2 and 3 but I wonder if what we're actually getting hints of is the fact that they'll be a huge drought of QBs being picked in the mid rounds. Maybe what will happen is that we won't have another QB picked before the 3rd day and maybe not until deep in it. I would not be shocked in the first QB after these two didn't get picked until late in the 3rd.

Athos

Legend
These QBs are going to drop like a rock after Mariota/Winston.

Teams just aren't going to be interested in these types of QBs. All lack something necessary. There was a big run at QBs last year too anyway. Not going to happen again. I can't see teams forcing the issue. This draft isn't all that strong at the top, so teams will pick the best talent first. There's a lot of good talent, just not great, imo, and teams won't settle for a Grayson. Or maybe even a Hundley.

5. NFL scouts like Randy Gregory way more than any other pass rusher in this draft. They also are still wondering if they can trust him.

Why question.....why? He needs 20lbs more muscle imo to be start to be considered worth a 1st. And then you wonder if he explosion stays with the added weight. 6'6 and 235 is just a pipsqueak against today's LT. They going to turn him into a 6'6 OLB?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
9. Thinking Utah's Eric Rowe is going to be taken higher than a lot of people suspect, and a number of teams like him best at S, not CB.

Well that explains Shrager having the Rams pick Rowe in round 2. Word must be going around that a lot of teams like him. If that happens hopefully it means that the Rams traded back and got an extra second rounder.

7. Scouts tell me there are 15 WRs in this draft who will make NFL impacts. It's the best position for depth. I'd take one early and often.

If this really is the case then maybe Davante Parker at 10 is not too bad of an idea.

That is why I think they should just look at a guy who has some potential but needs developing and take a late round flyer on him and forget the rest of them. Conner Haliday fits the bill IMO.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
CGI, I seriously curious to see what happens with the other QBs in this class besides Winston and Mariota. The talking heads all say that Hundley and others will go in rounds 2 and 3 but I wonder if what we're actually getting hints of is the fact that they'll be a huge drought of QBs being picked in the mid rounds. Maybe what will happen is that we won't have another QB picked before the 3rd day and maybe not until deep in it. I would not be shocked in the first QB after these two didn't get picked until late in the 3rd.
It really is tough to tell. A couple years ago we saw a run on qbs early. Guys like EJ Manuel and Geno Smith going way before I thought they would.

I'm glad the draft is almost here.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Well that explains Shrager having the Rams pick Rowe in round 2. Word must be going around that a lot of teams like him. If that happens hopefully it means that the Rams traded back and got an extra second rounder.

If this really is the case then maybe Davante Parker at 10 is not too bad of an idea.

That is why I think they should just look at a guy who has some potential but needs developing and take a late round flyer on him and forget the rest of them. Conner Haliday fits the bill IMO.

I like what I have seen from Rowe and he has good size. I also think he might be better suited for S. Reminds me a little of Devin McCourty when he was coming out. You have some options with him. He can play corner well enough if you are playing zone and could be physical enough in press but lacks the quick twitch and hip swivel to stay with WR's to be a shut down type of corner.

In our POST FA mock I was surprised he made it to the 3rd. Tampa got a steal lol.