Current thoughts on McVay?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will wait a year to draw any conclusions. People will have problems with his play calling and in game management, just like every other coach we've ever had. Approval rating is always highest before they coach their first game.

damn straight. that's why my current thoughts are my dick is hard.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
this year behind McDaniels and M Shanahan.
McDaniels is waiting for Belichick to retire....I also liked what Shanahan did for Atlanta's offense...and Matt Ryan.

Too soon, but he sounds really good.

Starting to feel out his coach speak...if he only talks about you being good...I think it's the kiss of death...Ask Greg.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wade Phillips is the DC, but he has considerable experience as a HC. I like him being there for McVay to kind of monitor him and level out his "newness". Rams have a mix of "young and inexperienced with new innovation" with "old and proven and knowing all the tricks" to counter. Great mix of young and old.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm a west coast offense hater and believe that branch of the coaching tree is poisoned since it stems from the ultimate pussy Bill Walsh, so I always have an initial distrust of anyone with any influences from that tree. So of course I never liked Shanahans or Grudens, and am not happy about McVay's background. But that initial distrust aside, I'm willing to judge McVay on his own merits as a man and will keep an open mind observing if plays the game with honor, unlike a lot of the west coast history.

Anyway, it's hard to imagine anyone being a bigger wuss than the Fisher offensive brain trust's approach last year, so I'm waiting to see if his package of plays is more towards Washington's vertical focus in the air and the running game is more like Pittsburgh (early encouragement that he's coaching Gurley referencing Le'Veon) than the same ol' throwing short of the sticks and hoping for RAC traditional west coast garbage.

For me, it's all about philosophy and identity, will he retreat to west coast dink & dunk because it's safe and easy, or will he carve his own niche of offense in the pantheon with an aggressive, balls deep approach on offense? I'm cautiously optimistic because I think even Kyle Shanahan was able to break that mold so McVay can be even more different -- see this article explaining what I'm trying to say here better.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh shit, he cancelled the last day of mini-camp??? And cut Greg? Perhaps he's reviewing film....

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He's going to win multiple Super Bowls! So, there's that.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Goff is question- no doubt- but I think we are all gonna be glad what we see this year.

Oline I don't think there is a question it is upgraded?? how you figuring it is questionable?

Based upon it's prior performance.
I really hope you are proven right here.....I hope the Rams show a dramatic improvement this year.
Don't get me wrong, I think they can, I just think it's unlikely. That's all.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The jury remains out for me.
I think in time, he will be a very good if not great head coach...but that is speculation at this point.
He's just coming in to one of the most difficult situations ever, in the NFL for any coach, let alone for the youngest ever first time head coach. He seems poised and knowledgeable for sure, I am hopeful that will transfer into positive results on the field.

McDaniels was not even on my radar, however M Shanahan was my first choice. I just wish the Rams would have at least interviewed him.

I am hopeful and supportive, but remain unconvinced at this time.

He didn't want the F-ing job sonF- -him (Shanes) F- him even more NOW that he is with The 9ers !!! F- the Niners !!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just did some quick research, and this is for all of you who have Low expectations for McVay's 1st year as head Coach!
In their 1st Year;
* Jim Harbaugh went 13-3
* George Seifert went to the Super Bowl ( I know he took over a winning team!)
* Jim Mora Jr. went to the NFC title game his 1st year with Atlanta
* Steve Mariucci went to the NFC title game his 1st year
* Asshole Face went to the NFC title game his 1st year
* John Harbaugh went to the AFC title game his 1st year
* Mike Tomlin made the Playoff's his 1st Year
And these are HC's, just in recent times! My point is IF these guy's can, So can McVay!!(y)(y):D So have Faith my brother's!!:D

GO RAMS!
addon.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Based upon it's prior performance.
I really hope you are proven right here.....I hope the Rams show a dramatic improvement this year.
Don't get me wrong, I think they can, I just think it's unlikely. That's all.

McVay gets it !! There is not a thing he doesn't get !! He has people ;coaches) in place that will make him better. He has coaches in place that are going to be great coaches from his coaches tree. 3 generations deep.

A55VA6

Legend
So far I love the guy. Bringing in great teachers, changing the culture, and from what I've heard - the team looks a lot better than last year. He's the next great young coach. I'm excited.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
McVay gets it !! There is not a thing he doesn't get !! He has people ;coaches) in place that will make him better. He has coaches in place that are going to be great coaches from his coaches tree. 3 generations deep.

Wow....that's pretty impressive.
So....as long as you are telling the future, do you mind letting me know what the winning power ball combination numbers for the next drawing are?:sneaky:

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I'll be happy with .500 ball, tbh.
Seeing the team culture change for the better and seeing improvement week after week.. LEARNING from mistakes and CORRECTING them is what I'm interested in most this first year. Hell, if we make the playoffs, even better.

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'll be happy with .500 ball, tbh.
Seeing the team culture change for the better and seeing improvement week after week.. LEARNING from mistakes and CORRECTING them is what I'm interested in most this first year. Hell, if we make the playoffs, even better.
giphy.gif

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wow....that's pretty impressive.
So....as long as you are telling the future, do you mind letting me know what the winning power ball combination numbers for the next drawing are?:sneaky:

I would have , but the change it to power ball. Lol -- your odds are better finding the winning ticket on the street.

The Rams are a better team than 7-9 though & have the coaching staff in place to prove it !!!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm a west coast offense hater and believe that branch of the coaching tree is poisoned since it stems from the ultimate wuss Bill Walsh, so I always have an initial distrust of anyone with any influences from that tree. So of course I never liked Shanahans or Grudens, and am not happy about McVay's background. But that initial distrust aside, I'm willing to judge McVay on his own merits as a man and will keep an open mind observing if plays the game with honor, unlike a lot of the west coast history.

Anyway, it's hard to imagine anyone being a bigger wuss than the Fisher offensive brain trust's approach last year, so I'm waiting to see if his package of plays is more towards Washington's vertical focus in the air and the running game is more like Pittsburgh (early encouragement that he's coaching Gurley referencing Le'Veon) than the same ol' throwing short of the sticks and hoping for RAC traditional west coast garbage.

For me, it's all about philosophy and identity, will he retreat to west coast dink & dunk because it's safe and easy, or will he carve his own niche of offense in the pantheon with an aggressive, balls deep approach on offense? I'm cautiously optimistic because I think even Kyle Shanahan was able to break that mold so McVay can be even more different -- see this article explaining what I'm trying to say here better.

I'm not sure why the big rip on Bill Walsh...Don't like his record, or just not the way he coached the team to win 3 SBs ???

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Wasn't my choice when we did the thread who do you want as Rams HC. I am impressed with McVay as far as organizing a foundation that will be built to last. The way he conjured up this staff thus far shows the intelligence that is going on in the head of McVay. Obviously we don't know what the W-L record will be, but I know for sure we are going somewhere better then where we previously were.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Impressed with his high energy; surrounding himself with character guys and experienced coaches; nothing seems to bother him; has a positive attitude; comes off as a very intelligent guy; seems to know what he' talking about; love the way he happily deflects the constant Donald signing questions to "that's in-house", which defuses the further questions on it (for that session!); just a lot to like so far. Just because it's early doesn't mean we can't see positive things we like. Did I like anything from the Fisher regime/interviews? No not particularly. The guy spoke so slow it put me to sleep.