Cowboys sign LSU OT La'el Collins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
You hear that noise? That was the joke flying over your head. ;)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I don't see what is so suspicious about this whole Collins ordeal.
Here's what happened:

Reports came out about murder of Collin's pregnant ex gf

Cops wanted to question Collins and have him take a paternity test for the baby

NFL teams were weary, so they passed on him in the draft (his promise not to sign if drafted further sealed his fate)

Paternity test came back negative, he spoke with police and still not a suspect. Eased teams concern.

Once draft was over, he became a UDFA and signed with his favorite football team.

The End. No Controversy. Am I missing something?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Well get to it mister. :shades:

GUqxIjd.jpg

Ram Pat

Rookie
Use a 7th, if he doesn't sign.. oh well, can't play for anybody , unless for next yrs 2nd

Alan

Legend
Rynie with a partial story:
No. People just have a weird obsession with the Cowboys.
But there is no animus towards Cowgirl fans. You're just like we Rams fans are, knowledgeable homers. I enjoy having you post here. I wish more posters from other teams posted here too. As long as they're always civil like you are and can take a little ribbing. (y)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't see what is so suspicious about this whole Collins ordeal.
Here's what happened:

Reports came out about murder of Collin's pregnant ex gf

Cops wanted to question Collins and have him take a paternity test for the baby

NFL teams were weary, so they passed on him in the draft (his promise not to sign if drafted further sealed his fate)

Paternity test came back negative, he spoke with police and still not a suspect. Eased teams concern.

Once draft was over, he became a UDFA and signed with his favorite football team.

The End. No Controversy. Am I missing something?

Only that per the CBA, no one was technically allowed to talk with him and you'd have thought he was being recruited to an SEC school in the early 80s. Kinda surprised he didn't show up to the signing in a car "given" by a booster...

So, most teams never had a shot at him because he signed the literal second teams were allowed to talk with him.

Yet another occasion when teams break rules big and small and we all just shrug and figure it doesn't make any difference. I mean, it's not like any other team might have had a better offer... Not that they had the chance to MAKE the offer, mind you...

paceram

Pro Bowler
I am second guessing not grabbing him in the 7th on a flyer. Stacy for Collins with a ? would sit well with me if they had done their due diligence. Kid has an alibi.

I am sure there are good reasons why the Rams (Or, any other NFL Team) didn't use a later round pick on him but I sure don't understand it! Unless, he was charged with a crime I think it would had been worth the gamble to use a 6th or 7th round pick on him! I sure didn't have much hope of the Rams getting him once he became a free agent!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I am sure there are good reasons why the Rams (Or, any other NFL Team) didn't use a later round pick on him but I sure don't understand it! Unless, he was charged with a crime I think it would had been worth the gamble to use a 6th or 7th round pick on him! I sure didn't have much hope of the Rams getting him once he became a free agent!

EVEN if you lose the pick, you are the team that drafted him when everyone else turned their back on him. Street cred. Suddenly you can say the Cowboys didn't even want you. AND you can offer a better than 7th round contract.

paceram

Pro Bowler
EVEN if you lose the pick, you are the team that drafted him when everyone else turned their back on him. Street cred. Suddenly you can say the Cowboys didn't even want you. AND you can offer a better than 7th round contract.

I honestly didn't understand why the Rams (Or, some other team) didn't at least take a chance on him! I could understand it if there were actual charges being brought against him but I still think a person (Or, Player) is "Innocent until proven guilty". I just thought that the NFL must had given the NFL Owners some kind of instructions on how to handle this situation with Collins (Like, Don't Draft Him!). Too bad for the Rams since I think he could had been a huge asset to their Offensive Line and at a Bargain Price! And, for him to go to the Cowboys (My all-time LEAST favorite team!) just adds more salt to the wound!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Only that per the CBA, no one was technically allowed to talk with him and you'd have thought he was being recruited to an SEC school in the early 80s. Kinda surprised he didn't show up to the signing in a car "given" by a booster...

So, most teams never had a shot at him because he signed the literal second teams were allowed to talk with him.

Yet another occasion when teams break rules big and small and we all just shrug and figure it doesn't make any difference. I mean, it's not like any other team might have had a better offer... Not that they had the chance to MAKE the offer, mind you...
No one was allowed to talk to him? Please elaborate friend.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It was reported that no one was allowed to talk to him into finals were over... May 7th, iirc, or actually May 9th.

That's why the hashtag #unsanctioned went viral when Rex Ryan had dinner with Collins.

Basically, a few teams jumped the gun, violated the CBA and got off Scott free. Now if he turns out to be a Pro Bowler or better... That's a really big deal.

But, nothing will come of that just like no punishment will come to Brady.

And we wonder why some teams keep cheating...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
All that I can say is this Dallas team has the making of the best OL in the NFL and they are just now beginning to mature.....average starting age could be under 25 yrd

OLT-Tyron Smith 6-5/320> 24yrs pro bowl former 1st rd
OLG-La'el Collins 6-4/320 >22 yrs projected 1st rd pick
OC-Travis Frederick 6-3/315>24 yrs pro bowl former 1st rd.
ORG-Zack Martin 6-4/310>24 yrs pro bowl former 1st rd pick
ORT-Doug Free 6-6/325 29 yrs just signed a top 2 ORT UFA's 2015

Reserves:
Ronald Leary 26 yrs starting OLG in 2014
Machenzy Bernadeau 29 yrs OC/ORG/OLG if healthy is an outstanding back up interior OL'er
Chaz Green ORT Rookie selected in 3d rd. 2015
Shane McDermott OC Rookie UDFA from UM/Fl.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
It was reported that no one was allowed to talk to him into finals were over... May 7th, iirc, or actually May 9th.

That's why the hashtag #unsanctioned went viral when Rex Ryan had dinner with Collins.

Basically, a few teams jumped the gun, violated the CBA and got off Scott free. Now if he turns out to be a Pro Bowler or better... That's a really big deal.

But, nothing will come of that just like no punishment will come to Brady.

And we wonder why some teams keep cheating...
I belive teams could not see him at hus home or university or w/e. But if they met up at chili's or something and talked, that was fine. Coward was talking about it the other day. So the bills didn't do anything wrong.

How the Cowboys signed him before Friday though is questionable.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The interesting thing to me is the diametrically opposite approaches of the Rams and Cowboys to building an effective offense.

Rams have linked the train to Gurley to (hopefully recover and) run behind a gang of OL hopefuls of little regard
Cowboys have linked their train to the OL which will now have 4 "first round talents" on it to block for RBs of little regard.

The question of is it the OL or the RB that generates an effective run game may very well be getting a very interesting test case this year...
I'm going to say offensive line every time, not that I wouldn't enjoy being wrong for our sake. As you eluded, we don't really know if Gurley is fully recovered.

First round helps, but it isn't everything. System, fit cohesiveness, and the player's ability to continue to elevate himself, and so on.

I'll say that it's an unfair challenge though considering that Dallas' line will be more experienced.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
But there is no animus towards Cowgirl fans. You're just like we Rams fans are, knowledgeable homers. I enjoy having you post here. I wish more posters from other teams posted here too. As long as they're always civil like you are and can take a little ribbing. (y)
Usually we see things pretty much eye to eye @Alan but not here. I think @Rynie is the exception, not the rule. In the 9 miserable years I spent in the DFW area the vast majority of cowgirl fans I encountered were clueless about the rest of the NFL in general and their own team in particular. Add a health dose to arrogance to that equation and you get, IMO, the most obnoxious fan base in the league. And I repeat, @Rynie does not seem to fall into any of those groups.