Cowboys are taking a QB in the 1st

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is their depth chart:

Tony Romo
Kellen Moore
Jameill Showers

Let's see...
  1. 2015 was a lost season as soon as Romo went down
  2. They believe they are playoff ready - now
  3. Romo is having/had surgery to reinforce his collarbone
  4. Romo has broke his collarbone 3 times
  5. Romo turns 36 in April
  6. When will they have a shot at the 4th overall again?
These guys are taking a QB in the first. In fact, I'd argue they could be a candidate to trade up.

The Rams are going to have to get to 1-3 to have a shot at either Wentz or Goff. Book it.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
I dunno.

Dallas' Defense was bottom half of the league in yards per game, total rushing yards, rushing yards per game and points per game.

With Joey Bosa, Myles Jack and even DeForest Buckner sitting there I find it hard to believe that they draft their back-up QB regardless of Romo's past injury history.

Plus Romo is having that bionic plate put in now so I can see Jerry Jones banking on that and going win NOW.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If they were smart they would follow your advice. Hardest thing to find is a QB. Dallas showed what he difference is between a franchise QB and just a guy playing QB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dunno.

Dallas' Defense was bottom half of the league in yards per game, total rushing yards, rushing yards per game and points per game.

With Joey Bosa, Myles Jack and even DeForest Buckner sitting there I find it hard to believe that they draft their back-up QB regardless of Romo's past injury history.

Plus Romo is having that bionic plate put in now so I can see Jerry Jones banking on that and going win NOW.

I hope you're right.

But I think Jerry said what he said before talking to the guys who talked him out of Manziel.

I added a 6th reason; when will they be picking top 4 again? Time is now.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
I hope you're right.

But I think Jerry said what he said before talking to the guys who talked him out of Manziel.

I added a 6th reason; when will they be picking top 4 again? Time is now.

Well, if they roll the dice and Romo goes down again it could be as soon as next year.
But at least they have a Bosa/Jack/Buckner.
I also just see Jones as the type to make this gamble one last time, if they're unlucky again then they draft the QB.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I know a lot of Cowboy fans that think it's time to replace Romo. Enough already they say.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
No way, I just cant see taking a player 4th overall to sit for 3 or 4 years. They need defensive help there are too many great defensive prodpects to pass on them for a back up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way, I just cant see taking a player 4th overall to sit for 3 or 4 years.

But is that possible under Romo?

Honestly... I can't see them banking their (self proclaimed) playoff roster on Romo's brittle collarbone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If one of the top two QB's (Wentz/Goff) are there #4 then they might go that direction its smart. They did very well with another state of California star QB. There is also the very big issue involving in the Romo contract where Romo is under contract until 2020. The Cowboys have 32 million dead cap $$$ in 2016 & if they release Romo after the 2016 season, the cap hit for Romo in 2017 will be 25 million!:thinking: Even in 2018 the dead money left in Romo's contract is approx.9 million. Ton of cap tied up in a 36 yr old QB.

Who's to say that there will not be a trade up to the 1st pick or the 3rd pick???? That's a real possibility leaving the Cowboys looking at just Lynch @ #4 pick:confused:.

IMO there's a much more positive option for the Cowboys with not going QB. If the first 3 picks have 2 QB's off the board they are going to be looking @ one heck of a great opportunity.....they could be eyeballing the best DL'er (Buckner) or the best DB(Ramsey) or the best LB'er(Myles) or the best offensive player(Elliott) in the draft! WOW that's a nice neighborhood to be in.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If they do, they're stupid. They can have total difference makers on defense with Bosa or Jack and they have a QB. They will draft the best defensive player because last year their defense was all smoke and mirrors and Jerry Jones will love to tell everyone that the Cowboys now have Jack!

They will draft QB Brandon Allen later again because Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alum.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If one of the top two QB's (Wentz/Goff) are there #4 then they might go that direction its smart. They did very well with another state of California star QB. There is also the very big issue involving in the Romo contract where Romo is under contract until 2020. The Cowboys have 32 million dead cap $$$ in 2016 & if they release Romo after the 2016 season, the cap hit for Romo in 2017 will be 25 million!:thinking: Even in 2018 the dead money left in Romo's contract is approx.9 million. Ton of cap tied up in a 36 yr old QB.

Who's to say that there will not be a trade up to the 1st pick or the 3rd pick???? That's a real possibility leaving the Cowboys looking at just Lynch @ #4 pick:confused:.

IMO there's a much more positive option for the Cowboys with not going QB. If the first 3 picks have 2 QB's off the board they are going to be looking @ one heck of a great opportunity.....they could be eyeballing the best DL'er (Buckner) or the best DB(Ramsey) or the best LB'er(Myles) or the best offensive player(Elliott) in the draft! WOW that's a nice neighborhood to be in.

Well, if they cut Romo in 2018, that saves them over $10 million in cap money, since his salary is nearly $20 million that year - a heck of a lot for a 38 year old QB.

I can see 3 ways the Cowboys go. If Wentz or Goff are available, I could see them taking one of them, giving themselves a good backup to an aging QB and his replacement in two years. I can see them taking BPA. I can also see them trading down, drafting a project QB fairly high and filling a bunch of holes on the defense.

If I were them and Goff or Wentz were available, I'd do the first option. As a Rams fan, I hope they do the third and trade with the Rams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If they do, they're stupid. They can have total difference makers on defense with Bosa or Jack and they have a QB. They will draft the best defensive player because last year their defense was all smoke and mirrors and Jerry Jones will love to tell everyone that the Cowboys now have Jack!

They will draft QB Brandon Allen later again because Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alum.
Not sure that Jack Myles would have a starting spot ready for him. Lee was moved into his natural position WSLB'er which just happens to be OLB'er Jack Myles position? But I like Jack Myles way better than both DE's Bosa & Buckner as a Cowboy fit. Anthony Hitchens will be a good SSLBer for them but the MLB is Retardo McClain former #1 of the Raiders. I Wonder if they try Myles inside or move Lee back to MLB'er? CB Jalen Ramsey pick looks like a better fit than any of the above & would be inserted into the Brandon Carr starting post.

Am I wrong for thinking that Jack Myles may be the closest thing to a Luke Kuechly???

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I don't know if they are or not....but 2 arguments against them taking a Qb at no 4 are......1. a rookie will play no better than they're backups currently on they're roster this year. 2. Tony Romo was not even a first round pick. I don't know....we will see...... ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Good connection there Den. Allen is going to be a real nice backup in this league, and maybe a lot more, would be a great pick for them.

I think they'll go after him or someone like Hogan, or Doughty, someone smart who has a chance to backup immediately without requiring a high pick.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Well who the fuck are the Broncos going to select? No way they roll with Butt Fumble, or do they. . QB is the easiest position to fulfill in the NFL. Give me Bionic Romo. Shenanigans with Cowgirls going QB at #4

Myles Jack easy decision. :cool:

tahoe

Pro Bowler
But is that possible under Romo?

Honestly... I can't see them banking their (self proclaimed) playoff roster on Romo's brittle collarbone.
Jerrah is loyal to a fault to his players and he loooooves Romo. He will stick with Romo longer than he should. I just cant see it, too many impact players available at 4. Heck they could get a backup in the second round if they really want one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know if they will but they should draft a QB.
Here is their depth chart:

Tony Romo
Kellen Moore
Jameill Showers

Let's see...
  1. 2015 was a lost season as soon as Romo went down
  2. They believe they are playoff ready - now
  3. Romo is having/had surgery to reinforce his collarbone
  4. Romo has broke his collarbone 3 times
  5. Romo turns 36 in April
  6. When will they have a shot at the 4th overall again?
These guys are taking a QB in the first. In fact, I'd argue they could be a candidate to trade up.

The Rams are going to have to get to 1-3 to have a shot at either Wentz or Goff. Book it.

I dunno.

They have been looking hard at Paxton Lynch. I wonder if they think they can trade into the end of round 1 and grab him.

Again, they really seem to like Lynch according to various reports.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I could definitely see the cowboys going QB at 4, but Goff or Wentz wont be the BPA at that spot. Guys like Jack, Ramsey, and Bosa could help them now and into the future.

The objective is to develop a QB behind Romo I don't think they have to draft a guy incredibly high because no matter where he is drafted he will be sitting and developing behind Romo. I think they are better off getting an impact guy who will help them now and into the future and finding a developmental guy later in the draft. Many great QBs have young developmental guys behind them, but instances where you have 1st rounder developing behind an established starter are rare these days. Peyton had Osweiler (2nd round), Brady has Garopolo (2nd round), Brees has Greyson (3rd round), Rodgers has Hundley (5th round), Eli has Nasib(4th round), Big Ben has Landry Jones (4th round). There are many intriguing QB prospects in this class and with a couple high impact pillars on defense sitting their at 4 I don't think the Cowboys have to get their developmental QB that high.