Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You think this thread is good for this site?

It reminds me of the stuff i used to read on facebook (until i just stopped looking at it because it was so toxic) - just a bunch of back and forth that doesn't lead anywhere good. Clearly no one is changing their opinion either way.

Which is for the most part pretty harmless when it comes to sports - but with this topic and politics... ugh
It’ll be alright. Promise.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
My family called it off - and the strong majority of them have been as in denial about Covid as most of you have.

Skepticism of the deadliness of the virus <> denial.

I'm not in denial about the flu either, or that it can kill people and it's harder on those who already have co-morbidities. The fact that I don't think we need to shut down society and engage in hair-on-fire panic en masse does not mean I'm in denial about the flu.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Ellard80

Legend
Skepticism of the deadliness of the virus <> denial.

I'm not in denial about the flu either, or that it can kill people and it's harder on those who already have co-morbidities. The fact that I don't think we need to shut down society and engage in hair-on-fire panic en masse does not mean I'm in denial about the flu.

yes the flu has always caused my sister who is a nurse to work 80 hour weeks.....

Here is the thing many of us can admitting this virus is bad doesn't also mean that we are bunkering up with CNN in the basement crying in fear.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Some people are idiots?
Or lemmings.

Consider this. In most capital cases being tried in a court of law, the prosecution and the defense both have expert witnesses. Both tell a different story. Both can’t be right. Trust them both anyway?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Or lemmings.

Consider this. In most capital cases being tried in a court of law, the prosecution and the defense both have expert witnesses. Both tell a different story. Both can’t be right. Trust them both anyway?

What capital cases are you watching? In Capital cases the experts that get called are usually on the punishment phase - not to contest guilt but to try to get a life sentence instead.

does that mean there aren’t paid whore experts out there? Of course there are.

are epidemiologists in that category? Give me a break.
Does the media have a financial incentive to hype fear? Sure, I’ll buy that. Do epidemiologists?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
You think this thread is good for this site?

It reminds me of the stuff i used to read on facebook (until i just stopped looking at it because it was so toxic) - just a bunch of back and forth that doesn't lead anywhere good. Clearly no one is changing their opinion either way.

Which is for the most part pretty harmless when it comes to sports - but with this topic and politics... ugh

Eau Contraire Mon Ami , it’s exactly the way it’s supposed to be.
Don’t let go of your beliefs.
Ever.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What capital cases are you watching? In Capital cases the experts that get called are usually on the punishment phase - not to contest guilt but to try to get a life sentence instead.

does that mean there aren’t paid whore experts out there? Of course there are.

are epidemiologists in that category? Give me a break.
Does the media have a financial incentive to hype fear? Sure, I’ll buy that. Do epidemiologists?
Try not to be so literal. The broad point is that there are experts in every field and there’s almost never universal consensus on everything. When the experts shamed us for buying masks because they didn’t work (openly yelling at us in the case of the surgeon general), were they right or wrong? There was consensus at the time. Now there’s consensus the other way.

50 years ago, there was almost universal consensus the earth was gonna freeze over. Right or wrong? 20 years ago, after one of the worst hurricane seasons on record, the consensus was that climate change caused it, and EVERY year from then on was going to be as bad or worse. It wasnt. Right or wrong?

Nuclear energy will never be attainable.

Stress causes ulcers

Bloodletting is a cure-all

Baby formula is better than breast milk.

The earth was once believed to be flat.

The sun orbited earth and not the other way around.

The FDA approves a shit ton of “beneficial drugs” that later turn out to be deadly and are removed from the market.

Do I need to go on? Or is it safe to say that experts don’t know everything just because they’re experts.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Try not to be so literal. The broad point is that there are experts in every field and there’s almost never universal consensus on everything. When the experts shamed us for buying masks because they didn’t work (openly yelling at us in the case of the surgeon general), were they right or wrong? There was consensus at the time. Now there’s consensus the other way.

50 years ago, there was almost universal consensus the earth was gonna freeze over. Right or wrong? 20 years ago, after one of the worst hurricane seasons on record, the consensus was that climate change caused it, and EVERY year from then on was going to be as bad or worse. It wasnt. Right or wrong?

Nuclear energy will never be attainable.

Stress causes ulcers

Bloodletting is a cure-all

Baby formula is better than breast milk.

The earth was once believed to be flat.

The sun orbited earth and not the other way around.

The FDA approves a shit ton of “beneficial drugs” that later turn out to be deadly and are removed from the market.

Do I need to go on? Or is it safe to say that experts don’t know everything just because they’re experts.

science is always learning - always questioning. It doesn’t work for those who prefer to decide quickly and stick to their opinion regardless of what new data emerges. It’s a novel virus. We will know a lot more about it 10 years from now than we do now. Science doesn’t mind having been wrong before - it means they are getting closer to right. And yes, I will continue to lean into the most educated voices in the room - on pretty much all topics. That’s part of knowing how little I know.

but hey, what has science ever done for us right?

Ellard80

Legend
meanwhile my very right wing governor admitted today our state healthcare system and economy will crash if things don't change.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Red herrings aren’t necessary here, man. My healthy skepticism of all things hastily adopted as infallible doctrine doesn’t equate to a sweeping condemnation of a particular field in its entirety.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
science is always learning - always questioning. It doesn’t work for those who prefer to decide quickly and stick to their opinion regardless of what new data emerges. It’s a novel virus. We will know a lot more about it 10 years from now than we do now. Science doesn’t mind having been wrong before - it means they are getting closer to right. And yes, I will continue to lean into the most educated voices in the room - on pretty much all topics. That’s part of knowing how little I know.

So science is sometimes wrong? Then why is it a crime to question it?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
So science is sometimes wrong? Then why is it a crime to question it?
Not a ‘crime’ at all

Not even wrong to have some questions and doubts.

However, when just about every qualified medical expert and epidemiologist on the planet offers the same advice, over the past eight months, on how to best deal with a novel coronavirus, it’s kind of arrogant, ignorant and foolish to ignore and undermine their recommendations.

Ellard80

Legend
the positives: treatment is better - morbidity is down.
The negatives: No room in the hospital to receive said treament.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
After much consideration, and deliberation with the admins here, it’s probably best to just lock this thread and the Climate change thread, because they no longer serve as informative discussions. They’re actually quite divisive now. Probably my fault, but I claim prima noctae, and can bang your women legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.