Cousins to Vikes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like they’re going to get in trouble for arranging a visit during this tampering period. Big no no

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Fully guaranteed is huge, unheard of in the NFL.

Put them in a solid spot . Wonder what McVay thinks ? I mean more about how that effects The Rams chances to winning the Super Bowl ?
I think the Redskins offensive line has been underrated .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Put them in a solid spot . Wonder what McVay thinks ? I mean more about how that effects The Rams chances to winning the Super Bowl ?
I think the Redskins offensive line has been underrated .
I read something on twitter that he has like a 20% winning rate vs teams over .500.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
LOL. Will prove to be a tragically bad decision.

Cousins is great between the 20's and ain't nothing in the red zone.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fully guaranteed is huge, unheard of in the NFL.

It's a little gamble - but he would have to totally bomb out in order not to play there 3 seasons anyway. Basically, it would need to be a crippling injury the first season, since the signing bonus would mean there's a cap hit for year 3 anyway.

Still, with $84 million guaranteed, Cousins' grandchildren and great-grandchildren are well on their way to being well taken care of, even with a few investment mistakes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jesus christ, it's going to be hell re-signing Goff and Gurley.
If they get Donald done first of course
At least they are a year apart and can be franchised a year apiece

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welp, Minnesota will be tough to beat this year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Jesus christ, it's going to be hell re-signing Goff and Gurley.

All the more reason we shouldn't be overly distressed about losing Watkins now. We can use some of the money he would get to front load AD's contract (and Joyner's as well) and lessen their cap hits for the years that we will need to get deals done for Goff and Gurley.

Psycho_X

Legend

This will open up a door going forward that will be hard for teams to swallow. The cap has been ballooning and it'll only increase what players and agents demand. I would bet on guarantees being the big holdup in the AD impasse. And if so, this contract won't help the Rams in those negotiations. If you want top players to stay or top free agents to come you're going to have to pay unheard of money for the next 5 years or until the cap stops rising.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
has there ever been a fully guaranteed contract before in the NFL for that amount ... because if not thats set the bar...shorter years fully guaranteed money ??

Kevin

Pro Bowler

This will open up a door going forward that will be hard for teams to swallow. The cap has been ballooning and it'll only increase what players and agents demand. I would bet on guarantees being the big holdup in the AD impasse. And if so, this contract won't help the Rams in those negotiations. If you want top players to stay or top free agents to come you're going to have to pay unheard of money for the next 5 years or until the cap stops rising.

Could be just like baseball. No incentive to play hard or play to win if your entire contract is guaranteed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I read something on twitter that he has like a 20% winning rate vs teams over .500.

Never trust anything from Twitter LOL.

He has been a star on a shitty team, the W-L record is as much on the team as him.

I am copying this from an ESPN article about the signing........

Cousins, 29, has been one of the NFL's most productive quarterbacks since becoming the Redskins' full-time starter three years ago. During that time, he's ranked fourth in passing yards, sixth in passer rating, seventh in Total QBR and eighth in touchdown passes.

In 2017 Cousins topped the 4,000-yard mark for the third straight season. He finished with 4,093 yards, 27 touchdowns and 13 interceptions

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Kirk Cousins could dramatically alter NFL free agency for elite players
Experts_Headshots_CharlesRobinson_400x400.png.cf.jpg

Charles Robinson
NFL columnist
Yahoo SportsMar 11, 2018 7:50 PM

For a handful of NFL teams, the push for Kirk Cousins has finally arrived. And what the free-agent quarterback does next has the potential to change free agency forever.

As the free-agent negotiating period opens in the NFL on Monday (sometimes referred to as the “legal tampering” window), Cousins’ contract negotiation has become the most anticipated event since Ndamukong Suh dramatically reshaped the league’s market for elite defensive players in 2015. From agents to coaches to front-office executives, there is overwhelming interest in the structure of Cousins’ next contract for two reasons: Not only is Cousins going to get paid, but the framework of his deal could be historic in nature, dramatically altering the future of top-end free-agent deals.

League executives and agents have told Yahoo Sports they believe Cousins will seek a short-term, fully guaranteed contract. It’s also believed that this pursuit will narrow his field of suitors, which last week stood at four teams: The New York Jets, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos and Arizona Cardinals. When the legal tampering period opens Monday, that pack could see some immediate attrition – with one or more teams essentially refusing to do a deal that is so aggressively in favor of a player.

But it takes only one desperate team to drastically alter the league’s salary scale and contract structure. The Miami Dolphins did it with Suh’s deal in 2015, giving the defensive tackle what amounted to a franchise quarterback deal, guaranteeing the first three years of the contract and nearly $60 million. Cousins enters this week with similar leverage and multiple suitors. That has league powerbrokers forecasting something seismic, league-altering and bigger than Suh’s free-agent earthquake.
“Three-year deals are just not done unless they’re lower-tier players,” one league source said. “If someone can set the precedent of, ‘Hey, if you want this guy badly enough, let’s do a three-year fully guaranteed deal,’ then that changes a lot. If Kirk Cousins gets that deal, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan will ask for that deal. How can their teams say no? …

“Rodgers and Ryan are absolutely waiting for that Cousins deal. If Cousins establishes it, and then those two guys do it, guess what? The next guy up, that’s the standard in negotiations.”

In the NFL, it would be a landmark win in negotiations for a quarterback in his prime. Not only would it establish a guaranteed contract akin to those in Major League Baseball and the NBA, it would also put Cousins back on the free-agent market prior to the 2021 season, when he’ll be 32 years old. Such a reality could crystallize a common expectation for not only top-tier quarterbacks, but also elite free agents. One that has them going to the negotiating table looking for three or four-year deals with nearly full guarantees. That would be an immense change in the standard for franchise quarterbacks, essentially eliminating the latter years of long-term contracts that are often team-friendly and completely unguaranteed.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
But it takes only one desperate team to drastically alter the league’s salary scale and contract structure.

I read the article a couple of days ago on Yahoo sports, and was concerned Cousins might pull it off.
I'm afraid this is going to make it impossible for teams to keep their homegrown drafted elite players....unless some serious alterations/addendums are made to the salary cap system.