Countdown to Camp: Offensive Line has Built Depth for 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Countdown to Camp: Offensive Line has Built Depth for 2018
yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons
RAMS INSIDER

We’re officially two weeks away from Los Angeles’ first training camp practice on July 26. Today, we’re taking a look at the Rams’ offensive line in this edition of Countdown to Camp.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Newcomers: OT Joseph Noteboom, C/G Brian Allen, OG Jamil Demby, OG Jeremiah Kolone

The Rams will return each of their five starters from 2017 in left tackle Andrew Whitworth, left guard Rodger Saffold, center John Sullivan, right guard Jamon Brown, and right tackle Rob Havenstiein.

Whitworth is heading into his 13th professional season and his second with Los Angeles. The left tackle was a Pro Bowler and a first-team All-Pro in 2017 after being a key contributor to the stabilization of the Rams’ offensive line.

Saffold — the longest-tenured Ram — is beginning his ninth season with the franchise. Saffold got through all of 2017 healthy, and excelled blocking for Todd Gurley in space as the running back won AP Offensive Player of the Year.

Sullivan re-signed with the Rams on a two-year deal in March. He started Los Angeles’ first 15 games last season as well, with quarterback Jared Goff crediting him for providing integral veteran calls at the line of scrimmage.

Havenstein will begin his fourth professional season, all with the Rams. He’s been a consistent presence at right tackle since the franchise drafted him in the second round back in 2015.

Also going into his fourth year, Brown will be suspended for the first two games of the 2018 season after violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Brown’s suspension will present an opportunity for another offensive lineman — at least for the first two games. Austin Blythe may have a leg up for that position, given that he filled in as the reserve interior lineman for Los Angeles in 2017. On two occasions, Blythe filled in for Sullivan when the center had to exit the game with a temporary injury.

Of the returning players, Jake Eldrenkamp and Aaron Neary also may have a chance to start the first two games at right guard. Both are listed as centers, but offensive line coach/run game coordinator Aaron Kromer often cross-trains interior linemen to play both center and guard positions.

However, rookie draft picks Brian Allen out of Michigan State and Jamil Demby out of Maine, plus UDFA Jeremiah Kolone out of San Jose State, could also make some noise at right guard depending on how they perform in training camp.

Los Angeles’ first pick of the 2018 draft, Joseph Noteboom, figures to provide depth at offensive tackle barring any unforeseen injuries.

Darrell Williams, Cornelius Lucas, and Michael Dunn also appear slated to provide depth at tackle. All three are returning players.

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sloppy work by Simmons and the Ram website that still showcases Michael Dunn on the roster, however, he's been released.

Doesn't seem to give Noteboom a shot at RG, oh well, as always we have to trust ourselves to make proper evaluations because until Training Camp Myles is mailing it in.

MauiRam

Rookie
Sloppy work by Simmons and the Ram website that still showcases Michael Dunn on the roster, however, he's been released.

Doesn't seem to give Noteboom a shot at RG, oh well, as always we have to trust ourselves to make proper evaluations because until Training Camp Myles is mailing it in.

As regards Notebloom, I hope they keep him mainly at tackle. He's raw, but physically talented and purportedly possessed of ample grey matter between his ears as opposed to say Greg Robinson or Alex "what's the snap count?" Barron. Given the depth at OG and Center, my vote would be to keep Joe at tackle and see if he "Blooms". If something serious were to happen to Whitworth or Havenstein, there isn't much depth other than Roger S. moving to LT. Blythe and Allen can both play center, and possibly guard; additionally there are Demby, Kolone.

Shame about Brown and having to open the season without him. Maybe we get lucky and the "next man up" turns out to be a gem.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Shame about Brown and having to open the season without him. Maybe we get lucky and the "next man up" turns out to be a gem.

I feel confident about Blythe filling in, however, if somebody really steps up like Demby for example and seizes the day then the depth will be even better.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It has seemed odd to me to hear talk of Noteboom--and others--filling in for Jamon. Seems to me like Blythe would be the clear frontrunner for that, and that somebody would have to really make some waves to bump him. And I feel like Noteboom is going to be exclusively trained as a (much-needed) tackle.

…..

Legend

Yeah great job by Simmons to turn this into a piece where we talk about Simmons. Unfortunately for him though, its not nice things we're saying.

As for the content....wow. And Noteboom, our highest pick this year, barely gets an honorable mention at the bottom. Literally.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah great job by Simmons to turn this into a piece where we talk about Simmons. Unfortunately for him though, its not nice things we're saying.
We talk about him so often you have to wonder if Simmons is doing this on purpose. :D

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It has seemed odd to me to hear talk of Noteboom--and others--filling in for Jamon. Seems to me like Blythe would be the clear frontrunner for that, and that somebody would have to really make some waves to bump him. And I feel like Noteboom is going to be exclusively trained as a (much-needed) tackle.

Considering Havenstein will be a free agent after this season, its possible they want to groom Notebloom to be his replacement and eventually move to LT when Whitworth is done. I have a feeling we're gonna see Whitworth for a couple more seasons so it isn't imperative Notebloom is ready right away.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Considering Havenstein will be a free agent after this season, its possible they want to groom Notebloom to be his replacement and eventually move to LT when Whitworth is done. I have a feeling we're gonna see Whitworth for a couple more seasons so it isn't imperative Notebloom is ready right away.
I think you are definitely on to something there, snackdaddy.
Right tackles are not quite the elite players that left tackles are so it would make sense for them to want to save money there.
Moving Noteboom in there on a rookie contract third-rounder salary would make a lot of sense rather than having to overpay for someone who might not be *much* better.

We already know some of the players that the big money is going to and there are some other guys that might not be as easily replaceable.

They have to save money somewhere.

That being said, it also wouldn't surprise me one bit if they spent the first round pick next year on a left tackle.

Maybe even a second round pick on a guard.

Having first, second and third round players ready for the O line would be a great way to save money provided they can play.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Myles forgot to mention Garrett Reynolds, and speculate as to whether this would be the year Barrett Jones breaks into the starting lineup.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only time I enjoy content by Myles is when he's doin vid work and has Demarco givin him flak the whole time. At least that way it's entertaining.

The RG position is going to be open for competition. Not only because of the suspension to Brown, but because he's a FA after the season. So they're almost surely going to be trying different options there in camp and for a playoff team with five returning OL it's a rare chance for one of the kids to get enormous amounts of prep and actual game experience.

If they keep Noteboom primarily at OT I will be surprised. Obviously they like his raw skills on the edge, but he's going to need some dev time and starting out on the interior as part of the competition to spell Brown for the first two games is likely. I expect them to rotate all the younguns through there in camp to see what their best options are and then focus it in on a couple as camp slows to an end.

Blythe will of course be the "safe" option. But it won't be given to him. I think the competition will be solid and would not rule out any of the kids. In fact I do expect Allen to push for a top depth position at the least at C/OG.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think that Demby wins the right guard position for the two games that Brown is out.

Ram65

Legend
As regards Notebloom, I hope they keep him mainly at tackle. He's raw, but physically talented and purportedly possessed of ample grey matter between his ears as opposed to say Greg Robinson or Alex "what's the snap count?" Barron. Given the depth at OG and Center, my vote would be to keep Joe at tackle and see if he "Blooms". If something serious were to happen to Whitworth or Havenstein, there isn't much depth other than Roger S. moving to LT. Blythe and Allen can both play center, and possibly guard; additionally there are Demby, Kolone.

I agree. Noteboom needs to work at OT. He can fill in for Whitworth during practice. Depending how they see Lucas I could see him at RT too. He could take over for Havenstein next year. Noteboom looked a little slow pulling at the Senior Bowl at OT. We will see how Kromer plays it but, he has a number of options at OG already.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
While we all hope that Joseph Noteboom turns into an All-Pro left tackle, we have to realize that is pretty much a long shot.

Unless he has unusually long arms, at 6'5, he is a little on the short side for a starting left tackle.

But if you invest a third-rounder and get a starting guard or right tackle out of the deal, I am good with it.

Having our starters set gives Aaron and Zak Kromer and Andy Dickerson an ideal situation to develop backups and start working on next year's offensive line this year in Camp and practice throughout this season.

Next year's offensive line could look like this ;
LT- 1st round draft pick/Noteboom/Whitworth(?)

LG- Saffold/Noteboom/Blythe/Demby

C- Sullivan/Allen

RG- Brown(?)/Noteboom/Demby

RT- Havenstein(?)/Noteboom

So many possibilities.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW's the Los Angeles Ram website has come a long way and if you click on transactions, it will showcase that Tackle Michael Dunn was released on the 5th of June, however, still has him on the roster and thus Simmons article mentions him because he's still listed there.

https://www.therams.com/team/transactions/