Could the Rams trade a player + pick for a 24 year old pro bowl Tackle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Zeus was Right Tackle.

My posts did not suggest the Rams giving up a premium pick; and Brown would both play at (in 2022) and get paid as a LT.

Sounds like I am pushing for a trade but I am not. Just trying to suggest the type of deal that makes sense for both teams.

I also hate the idea of the Rams trading a solid RT, on a reasonable contract, for a 4th or 5th round pick and some cap relief.
Sorry I typed that out wrong. Meant to say ”like his daddy told him”. He talks about his dad telling him if he plays OL you play LT or you play a different position.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm the one that brought this up a while ago and thought it would take a lot I still do, however according to NFL network they have repeatedly brought the topic up and said that Baltimore will not get even close to the compensation they seek. Schefter said they will probably have to settle for a second or third round pick as a RT. tackle. I find that myself hard to believe but if that's the case I don't care balls to the wall I'd be all over it.

Lastly I know he is a possible head case but I'd keep my eye on the titans young tackle...I forget his name isiah Wilson??? He can be had cheap or even released. The rams have a way with head cases.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As Dieter Brock mentioned, this was discussed on a thread a couple weeks ago; and it seems like something to quickly dismiss from a Rams POV.

So let me NOT dismiss it.

This is kind of interesting to me (what my mind considers interesting can be kind of disturbing but that’s a topic for another time).

Baltimore may be in a tough spot because it has an elite LT in Ronnie Stanley who was just paid a market-contract. The Ravens could feel the need to move Brown at some point; and, if he is a pain, maybe sooner than later.

Now the Ravens are thinking Super Bowl, so a high draft choice would be nice but dealing Brown does not help them in 2021.

The Rams could offer a very solid veteran RT, on a reasonable contract, to replace Brown. A down-grade but not a big one. However, Havenstein would not be near enough.

What else could the Ravens ... particularly Lamar Jackson ... need that the Rams could offer?

Baltimore has backs and TEs, and an outstanding deep threat in Hollywood-Brown. Do they have a starting WR that would be a perfect compliment? Someone who runs great routes and has terrific hands, that could be a huge asset to Jackson?

Wouldn’t Cooper Kupp fit perfectly?

Now it’s not the type of trade typically made in the NFL. Would have to be proposed by an aggressive Front Office and Organization that thinks out-of-the-box when it comes to making moves.

The Rams are that type of team.

Why would the Rams do it?

Well, short-term, it’s an up-grade at RT. A Brown extension would not kick-in until 2022 when he could move to his preferred position at LT; and when Whitworth finally retires (I believe Andrew can begin to collect Social Security in 2022, so he should be fine financially).

The Rams have Jefferson to step-up. The possible need for a deep-receiving option remains but the Rams can now offer that role as a #2/#3 WR role to a free agent/draft choice. Currently, the Rams top three WRs are Woods, Kupp and Jefferson; and a deep option would likely slot-in behind them.

Then there’s the cap implications for the Rams. They NEED to create cap space. Look at Kupp’s contract. Most of his money is ‘salary’ and not ‘bonus’. Deleting Havenstein and Kupp; and adding Brown’s fourth-year rookie contract creates somewhere between $14-$17M of cap relief in 2021.

Should the Rams then restructure Donald and Ramsey, they may be in a position to add free agents.

I am NOT saying this will happen, or even should happen. In fact, Kupp is one of my favorite Rams.

Just saying it’s interesting ... and Free Agency is still a couple weeks away ... so I am bored.
I'm not normally into these kinds of threads, but this is the kind of post I like to see in them. It's an honest and unemotional look at how it might make sense without lobbying for the move. Even a little self deprecating humor thrown in.

Nice job man.
Ergo the problem. Brown wants to play LT in 2021, so he can earn a contract as a "franchise" LT. So where including Havenstein in a trade makes a lot of sense (for Baltimore) it doesnt solve the problem of dealing with Brown.
Call me a homer, but Havenstein AND Kupp is way too much for Brown. Im not sure what Baltimore has for backup but I think Havenstein and a 3rd would be reasonable.
If Kupp were to go anywhere, I cant see how Detroit isnt all over it. With the haul they received for Stafford, giving out a 2nd for Kupp is chump change.
I'm not sure Brown wouldn't look at the age of Whitworth and see that he has an opportunity to play RT for one year, learn from a potential HOFer and play for a contender at LT at LT money, and live in Southern CA while having the best stadium and facilities available in the entire league and a young, successful, offense minded coach.

And I really would be surprised by the Rams giving up a known player (Kupp) for a 2nd. Seems to me, they go the opposite direction on those kinds of trades.

Bottom line....

Do I think it will happen? Nope. But I think I've already established a lengthy history and HOF worthy batting average on guessing what the Rams FO will do.

Would I be surprised if the Rams aggressively tried to make something like this happen and were even able to pull the trigger? Nope

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m confused. What did I do this time to be the bad guy?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure Brown wouldn't look at the age of Whitworth and see that he has an opportunity to play RT for one year, learn from a potential HOFer and play for a contender at LT at LT money, and live in Southern CA while having the best stadium and facilities available in the entire league and a young, successful, offense minded coach.
I dont see how you give a monster contract to a RT who hasnt played LT in the NFL yet. That's why he wants to play LT in 2021, so he hits FA as an OLT, not an ORT. Stanley signed for 5 years 98 mill so I'm sure that's what he is looking for

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
It’s your fault!
You’re the one who brought it up!!

You drove the wedge between me and both Dieter Brock and Old School. You ruined everything!

I'm sorry ...I just wanted our team to improve lol.. my apologies to all parties involved and I take full responsibility lol.

P.s. Houston released there entire offensive line basically lol.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Says the man who argued we should trade for a certain Houston QB :). I take your point and you might be right though I tend to agree with the article in that the Ravens do not have as much leverage in this situation as you claim

I am only putting it out there because it could potentially fix two problems at once. 1.This years Cap situation (including perhaps signing one of our star FAs on D) 2. LT for the next five years while Stafford is in his prime

Not because I disagree with the arguments for keeping Whit, who is great but declining (even if ever so slightly each year)

Well...yeah. But the Texans price was too high for Snead. Watson is a young, dynamic QB. And the Rams did ask prior to moving on Stafford.

Had we not already spent our picks, I’d suggest something similar. I don’t think the Ravens would think Kupp and Hav to be equal value to Brown. I think it’s more than enough, but FOs have some interesting player math.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
You’re a good guy.

Payote is the bad guy.

Man how did I become the villain bruh? We all good guys lol. You can't start a fight and blame me....Im offended by this ...peace and love and a rams superbowl.
Ehhh fuck it lets brawl!! Lol even though I have no clue what we brawling bout lolol

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Man how did I become the villain bruh? We all good guys lol. You can't start a fight and blame me....Im offended by this ...peace and love and a rams superbowl.
Ehhh fuck it lets brawl!! Lol even though I have no clue what we brawling bout lolol
See ... bad guy :)

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Clown freaks me out a little bit too.

Someone should start a thread over that GD clown!! "Who votes to kill the clown?" - LOL

And also that guy who is always falling down!

Blue font all around obviously (maybe)