Could the Rams trade a player + pick for a 24 year old pro bowl Tackle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I am just putting it out there as the Ravens don’t have much leverage. I expect most here will say we don’t have the capital but pro bowl 24 Year old Tackles don’t become available often! Plug and play vs draft picks? At just over $3 Mil this season...

Whitworth will not be around for ever and counts heavily against the Cap. Love the guy, but just saying...

Orlando Brown?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

he wants to play LT.

right now.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

he wants to play LT.

right now.

Agreed. That is my point fella.

Extend him now with a bonus heavy deal and you would have a pro bowl caliber LT for the next five years with only $3. something million to pay vs the Cap this year

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whit's value goes beyond just playing a position, he's the heart and soul of our Oline. I think we give him another year to win a Super Bowl with us. It would be a shame if he was cut/traded just before a Super Bowl win.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The Texans had to pay 2 1sts and a 2nd. For a 24 year old 2x Pro Bowler?

Yeah, it’s gonna take at LEAST that much.

Someone’s gonna pays a ransom, but we spent ours already

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like we did this already
- He wants to play LT, we have an LT
- He's only played RT
- He's too expensive, wants big $$
- He'll cost too much trade wise and the Rams dont have the assets
If Whit wants to come back, he comes back, at LT. No questions asked.
Lets work on the interior yeah?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
As Dieter Brock mentioned, this was discussed on a thread a couple weeks ago; and it seems like something to quickly dismiss from a Rams POV.

So let me NOT dismiss it.

This is kind of interesting to me (what my mind considers interesting can be kind of disturbing but that’s a topic for another time).

Baltimore may be in a tough spot because it has an elite LT in Ronnie Stanley who was just paid a market-contract. The Ravens could feel the need to move Brown at some point; and, if he is a pain, maybe sooner than later.

Now the Ravens are thinking Super Bowl, so a high draft choice would be nice but dealing Brown does not help them in 2021.

The Rams could offer a very solid veteran RT, on a reasonable contract, to replace Brown. A down-grade but not a big one. However, Havenstein would not be near enough.

What else could the Ravens ... particularly Lamar Jackson ... need that the Rams could offer?

Baltimore has backs and TEs, and an outstanding deep threat in Hollywood-Brown. Do they have a starting WR that would be a perfect compliment? Someone who runs great routes and has terrific hands, that could be a huge asset to Jackson?

Wouldn’t Cooper Kupp fit perfectly?

Now it’s not the type of trade typically made in the NFL. Would have to be proposed by an aggressive Front Office and Organization that thinks out-of-the-box when it comes to making moves.

The Rams are that type of team.

Why would the Rams do it?

Well, short-term, it’s an up-grade at RT. A Brown extension would not kick-in until 2022 when he could move to his preferred position at LT; and when Whitworth finally retires (I believe Andrew can begin to collect Social Security in 2022, so he should be fine financially).

The Rams have Jefferson to step-up. The possible need for a deep-receiving option remains but the Rams can now offer that role as a #2/#3 WR role to a free agent/draft choice. Currently, the Rams top three WRs are Woods, Kupp and Jefferson; and a deep option would likely slot-in behind them.

Then there’s the cap implications for the Rams. They NEED to create cap space. Look at Kupp’s contract. Most of his money is ‘salary’ and not ‘bonus’. Deleting Havenstein and Kupp; and adding Brown’s fourth-year rookie contract creates somewhere between $14-$17M of cap relief in 2021.

Should the Rams then restructure Donald and Ramsey, they may be in a position to add free agents.

I am NOT saying this will happen, or even should happen. In fact, Kupp is one of my favorite Rams.

Just saying it’s interesting ... and Free Agency is still a couple weeks away ... so I am bored.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Whit's value goes beyond just playing a position, he's the heart and soul of our Oline. I think we give him another year to win a Super Bowl with us. It would be a shame if he was cut/traded just before a Super Bowl win.

I largely agree with the sentiment but do wonder what we do going forward? Is the Noteboom the future? If not, we may struggle to replace him and that could potentially derail the Stafford juggernaut past year 1

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I feel like we did this already
- He wants to play LT, we have an LT
- He's only played RT
- He's too expensive, wants big $$
- He'll cost too much trade wise and the Rams dont have the assets
If Whit wants to come back, he comes back, at LT. No questions asked.
Lets work on the interior yeah?

Couldn't agree more. Big Whit might not be the player he was but he's still above average and our best option right now. Like the Marvin Jones talk, Orlando Brown would be the proverbial luxury we couldn't afford.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
The Texans had to pay 2 1sts and a 2nd. For a 24 year old 2x Pro Bowler?

Yeah, it’s gonna take at LEAST that much.

Someone’s gonna pays a ransom, but we spent ours already

Says the man who argued we should trade for a certain Houston QB :). I take your point and you might be right though I tend to agree with the article in that the Ravens do not have as much leverage in this situation as you claim

I am only putting it out there because it could potentially fix two problems at once. 1.This years Cap situation (including perhaps signing one of our star FAs on D) 2. LT for the next five years while Stafford is in his prime

Not because I disagree with the arguments for keeping Whit, who is great but declining (even if ever so slightly each year)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, short-term, it’s an up-grade at RT. A Brown extension would not kick-in until 2022 when he could move to his preferred position at LT; and when Whitworth finally retires
Ergo the problem. Brown wants to play LT in 2021, so he can earn a contract as a "franchise" LT. So where including Havenstein in a trade makes a lot of sense (for Baltimore) it doesnt solve the problem of dealing with Brown.
Call me a homer, but Havenstein AND Kupp is way too much for Brown. Im not sure what Baltimore has for backup but I think Havenstein and a 3rd would be reasonable.
If Kupp were to go anywhere, I cant see how Detroit isnt all over it. With the haul they received for Stafford, giving out a 2nd for Kupp is chump change.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
As Dieter Brock mentioned, this was discussed on a thread a couple weeks ago; and it seems like something to quickly dismiss from a Rams POV.

So let me NOT dismiss it.

This is kind of interesting to me (what my mind considers interesting can be kind of disturbing but that’s a topic for another time).

Baltimore may be in a tough spot because it has an elite LT in Ronnie Stanley who was just paid a market-contract. The Ravens could feel the need to move Brown at some point; and, if he is a pain, maybe sooner than later.

Now the Ravens are thinking Super Bowl, so a high draft choice would be nice but dealing Brown does not help them in 2021.

The Rams could offer a very solid veteran RT, on a reasonable contract, to replace Brown. A down-grade but not a big one. However, Havenstein would not be near enough.

What else could the Ravens ... particularly Lamar Jackson ... need that the Rams could offer?

Baltimore has backs and TEs, and an outstanding deep threat in Hollywood-Brown. Do they have a starting WR that would be a perfect compliment? Someone who runs great routes and has terrific hands, that could be a huge asset to Jackson?

Wouldn’t Cooper Kupp fit perfectly?

Now it’s not the type of trade typically made in the NFL. Would have to be proposed by an aggressive Front Office and Organization that thinks out-of-the-box when it comes to making moves.

The Rams are that type of team.

Why would the Rams do it?

Well, short-term, it’s an up-grade at RT. A Brown extension would not kick-in until 2022 when he could move to his preferred position at LT; and when Whitworth finally retires (I believe Andrew can begin to collect Social Security in 2022, so he should be fine financially).

The Rams have Jefferson to step-up. The possible need for a deep-receiving option remains but the Rams can now offer that role as a #2/#3 WR role to a free agent/draft choice. Currently, the Rams top three WRs are Woods, Kupp and Jefferson; and a deep option would likely slot-in behind them.

Then there’s the cap implications for the Rams. They NEED to create cap space. Look at Kupp’s contract. Most of his money is ‘salary’ and not ‘bonus’. Deleting Havenstein and Kupp; and adding Brown’s fourth-year rookie contract creates somewhere between $14-$17M of cap relief in 2021.

Should the Rams then restructure Donald and Ramsey, they may be in a position to add free agents.

I am NOT saying this will happen, or even should happen. In fact, Kupp is one of my favorite Rams.

Just saying it’s interesting ... and Free Agency is still a couple weeks away ... so I am bored.
It's a no for me if it includes Kupp

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Ergo the problem. Brown wants to play LT in 2021, so he can earn a contract as a "franchise" LT. So where including Havenstein in a trade makes a lot of sense (for Baltimore) it doesnt solve the problem of dealing with Brown.
Call me a homer, but Havenstein AND Kupp is way too much for Brown. Im not sure what Baltimore has for backup but I think Havenstein and a 3rd would be reasonable.
If Kupp were to go anywhere, I cant see how Detroit isnt all over it. With the haul they received for Stafford, giving out a 2nd for Kupp is chump change.
To be clear, I am NOT recommending the trade. Just see it as more practical (for both teams) than you seem to.

Thought I addressed the Brown contract issue. He would get the Franchise-LT contract, and would get it before the start of 2021. It would go into effect in 2022.

2021 is the final year of Brown’s rookie deal. He will play under that contract in 2021. Any team that gives him an extension ... even if its before the 2021 season ... would have the extension begin in 2022.

Now he would not play LT in 2021 but the guy ahead of him is 40! Brown would have his LT-$, play LT for the duration of his extension and enjoy the lovely weather in L.A. playing on a Super Bowl contender.

Also think the Ravens could do much better than Havenstein and a comp #3.

Heck, if the Rams want to move Havenstein for cap relief, Baltimore might be able to get him for mid-round pick (#4 or #5); and then trade Brown for a late-#1 / high-#2 and maybe more.

I am a homer too but can see the Rams letting go of players like Brockers and Havenstein for little compensation and much needed cap relief.

And my name is not Ergo!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK, so you’re on-the-fence.
These kind of things can go either way I don't think he'll want to come here for the privilege of playing RT for a year or two for us because we don't know when/if Whit retires. He's stated very clearly he wants to play LT just like his daddy and that comes with being paid like a LT. With all the cap issues we have right now are we going to trade a premium pick and a starter to pay a guy LT money to play RT for a year or two on top of all our other salaries going out? That's adding another guy at $20+ million a year. I'd love to have him on the line he's a good player. But when you add all that together does it make sense? Also there's these rumors that the Ravens won't take anything less than a 1st round pick which makes sense they'd have to replace him and they need some players too with Cleveland breathing down their necks and to bury Shittsburgh.

View: https://twitter.com/mikeclaynfl/status/1366749526216867845

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be clear, I am NOT recommending the trade. Just see it as more practical (for both teams) than you seem to.

Thought I addressed the Brown contract issue. He would get the Franchise-LT contract, and would get it before the start of 2021. It would go into effect in 2022.

2021 is the final year of Brown’s rookie deal. He will play under that contract in 2021. Any team that gives him an extension ... even if its before the 2021 season ... would have the extension begin in 2022.

Now he would not play LT in 2021 but the guy ahead of him is 40! Brown would have his LT-$, play LT for the duration of his extension and enjoy the lovely weather in L.A. playing on a Super Bowl contender.

Also think the Ravens could do much better than Havenstein and a comp #3.

Heck, if the Rams want to move Havenstein for cap relief, Baltimore might be able to get him for mid-round pick (#4 or #5); and then trade Brown for a late-#1 / high-#2 and maybe more.

I am a homer too but can see the Rams letting go of players like Brockers and Havenstein for little compensation and much needed cap relief.

And my name is not Ergo!
We don’t know that he can play LT as effectively as he plays RT. Therefore, you can’t pay him $18-20 mill per.
What does work in your scenario is if they signed him to a 5 year extension and gave him a 25 mill signing bonus, he’d effectively cost the same in 2021 as Havenstein.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The Rams are in a tough spot imo we must solve this problem LTs are a rare commodity on the open market. Getting Brown is great if he is as good as when he played RT.

We can limp along with the Notebooms of the world and hope one sticks, but LT is such an important position on Offense. Look what happened when KCs LT was out in the Superbowl.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
These kind of things can go either way I don't think he'll want to come here for the privilege of playing RT for a year or two for us because we don't know when/if Whit retires. He's stated very clearly he wants to play LT just like his daddy and that comes with being paid like a LT. With all the cap issues we have right now are we going to trade a premium pick and a starter to pay a guy LT money to play RT for a year or two ...
I think Zeus was a Right Tackle.

My posts did not suggest the Rams giving up a premium pick; and Brown would both play at (in 2022) and get paid as a LT.

Sounds like I am pushing for a trade but I am not. Just trying to suggest the type of deal that makes sense for both teams.

I also hate the idea of the Rams trading a solid RT, on a reasonable contract, for a 4th or 5th round pick and some cap relief.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We don’t know that he can play LT as effectively as he plays RT.

Completely agree on that point.

Any team would have to closely evaluate Brown’s 2020 Left Tackle tape when he replaced the injured Stanley and started around ten games, and be comfortable that he can play on the blind-side.