Could Jeff Fisher mess up the Jaguars draft plans?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Jeff Fisher could be Jaguars' nemesis one more time as NFL Draft approaches
By Vito Stellino (Vito Stellino's Blog

The Jaguars rivalry with coach Jeff Fisher has waned now that he is coaching the St. Louis Rams and they play the Jaguars only once every four years.

It was different when he was coaching the Titans in the Jaguars division and beat them three times in 1999, including a victory in the AFC title game that cost them a Super Bowl berth.

He then needled the Jaguars by saying Alltel Stadium, which was the name of EverBank field in those days, was one of his home fields.

It turns out, though, that Fisher could be the Jaguars’ nemesis one more time now that he has the second pick in the draft he picked up from Washington in the Robert Griffin III trade.

The conventional wisdom in the draft is that Houston will take a quarterback with the first pick and St. Louis will take an offensive lineman with the second pick, leaving the Jaguars to get the best pass rusher, Jadeveon Clowney.

Clowney will host his Pro Day Wednesday at South Carolina and it is the big event on the NFL calendar this week.

Considered the best athlete in the draft, Clowney figures to have a spectacular pro day.

But Fisher could stymie the Jaguars by taking Clowney himself or trade the pick to a team that wants him.

Fisher has a bigger need for an offensive lineman than a pass rusher and he has been expected to take Greg Robinson of Auburn or Jake Matthews of Texas A@M in the draft at the second spot. Matthews is the son of Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthew, who once played for Fisher.

Still, Fisher has opened the door for Clowney and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch even has the Rams taking him in their mock draft.

Fisher said last week at the owners’ meetings, “I’ve learned over the years that you never have enough pass rushers. And I think it’s not only us, but other teams that are in our situation, are creative enough to find ways to get (Clowney) on the field and put him in a position to make plays.’’

There was speculation that Clowney took plays off last year to avoid getting hurt as he recorded just three sacks.

Fisher brushes that off.

“Not if you watch the games, it’s not (a red flag). Because the effort’s there. You’ve got to give the offenses credit, too. I mean they were aware of where he was. They turned the center towards him. When the ball came out, they’d check out with backs just like we do in our league with good rushers. So, no, you see a lot of other really big plays throughout the year. Consistent big plays, whether they’re chase down plays down the field or plays against the run,’’ Fisher said.

Of course, Fisher could be bluffing about his interest in Clowney. It’s part of the draft tradition to keep opposing teams guessing.

But if Fisher pulls a surprise and takes Clowney or trades the pick to a team that wants him, the Jaguars will have to go in a different direction.

They’re not likely take an offensive lineman with the third pick after selecting Luke Joeckel with the second pick last year so wide receiver Sammy Watkins or pass rusher Khalil Mack would appear to be their next options.

The Jaguars are likely to be impressed by Clowney Wednesday, at his Pro Day, but they won’t know until May 8 if they can get him.

Houston is still expected to take a quarterback with the first pick but coach Bill O’Brien insists all options are on the table and the Texans have a dinner meeting planned with Clowney Tuesday night before his workout. It remains to be seen if that visit will be a smokescreen.

So the draft intrigue will continue for the next few weeks.

I'd be happy if the Jags took Clowney...if they want to trade up for him, their second round pick should get it done.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I like the idea of a bidding war between Jax and Altanta for Clowney at #2.

But I don't think Jax will like it, and they may try to preempt having to deal with the Rams. Jax can trade with Houston and take Clowney at #1, and Houston can get Bortles at #3 plus additional picks. The only risk Houston will have is if someone wants to trade up to #2 for Bortles. And I have no idea what the odds of that are.

PhxRam

But I don't think Jax will like it, and they may try to preempt having to deal with the Rams. Jax can trade with Houston and take Clowney at #1, and Houston can get Bortles at #3 plus additional picks. The only risk Houston will have is if someone wants to trade up to #2 for Bortles. And I have no idea what the odds of that are.

Very well could happen Max. I dont think Houston has made had any hard line stance at picking number one that I am aware of.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I think if some team trades to #1 for Clowney, the Rams get calls for the pick of the QB litter.

Risky move for Houston.

If Houston has more than 1 QB they are happy with it could easily happen, if they only like one they best take him at 1 because we'll be looking to trade down for a team wanting the top QB.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
st-kirk-khan_zpsbed4c442.jpg

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Do it, Jeff...

If teams don't give us multiple high picks then this is our guy.

Best case scenario is somebody mortgages the farm and we get Robinson.

Alan

Legend
CGI_Ram with this observation:
I think if some team trades to #1 for Clowney, the Rams get calls for the pick of the QB litter.

Risky move for Houston.
Much more expensive for Jax to trade with Houston when they can trade with us for less. They know we want to trade down.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Much more expensive for Jax to trade with Houston when they can trade with us for less. They know we want to trade down.

I'm not so sure about that. We know that Snead has a hot line to Dimitroff in Atlanta. If Clowney is there at #2, there is probably already a deal in place between Snead and Dimitroff. And Snead may be perfectly happy going to #6. Jax may not get off paying less than what they would have to pay Houston.

This thing all comes down to how much Houston likes one of the QBs.

Alan

Legend
max with this conjecture:
I'm not so sure about that. We know that Snead has a hot line to Dimitroff in Atlanta. If Clowney is there at #2, there is probably already a deal in place between Snead and Dimitroff. And Snead may be perfectly happy going to #6. Jax may not get off paying less than what they would have to pay Houston.
I don't see your logic here max. If Jax could pay less to Houston then so could Atlanta following your logic. Now if jax thnks Houston is going to take their guy then the price is less of a factor. That's the only reason Jax would trade with Houston instead of us IMO.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I don't see your logic here max. If Jax could pay less to Houston then so could Atlanta following your logic. Now if jax thnks Houston is going to take their guy then the price is less of a factor. That's the only reason Jax would trade with Houston instead of us IMO.
Simple really if we have a deal in place with atl then Jax has to pay higher then if atl wants the pick then they do and so on

Alan

Legend
Rabid Ram thinking it's simple:
Simple really if we have a deal in place with atl then Jax has to pay higher then if atl wants the pick then they do and so on
Again, that makes no sense to me. I think the first thing we need to stop talking about is "a deal in place". That means nothing and there is no difference in having a deal in place and getting a deal when you're on the clock except a little time and that's if we haven't already run every scenario by the teams in question. I have no doubt that we have a potential deal in place under most, if not all, scenarios. But as I said, that means nothing.

Trading up to the 1st pick should, in almost all instances, cost more than trading up to the 2nd pick. Of course Atlanta has to pay more because they have a lower round pick to trade. In fact, if anything, going all the way down to Atlanta's pick might cause Houston or the Rams to miss their next best player thus maybe giving Jax an even better than normal deal if they really want to trade down and those are the only two options.

Like I said, makes no sense to me. This whole "hot line to Atlanta" is meaningless except that they probably can't bluff each other as well as they could with someone they weren't intimately familiar with.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

since when were the jaguars set at qb? they have henne. they're not going very far with him. you would think they would be after a qb, not clowney.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Remember. Houston may be too afraid to trade down to #6. If Houston is targeting a QB, trading down to #6 will much more strongly jeopardize their chances of getting their guy compared to trading down to #3. And as I said Houston may even be too afraid of losing their guy to make the trade with Jax. So the point here is that Atlanta may very well not even be able to deal with Houston unless they give them the farm. Really, the only chance Atlanta has of getting Clowney at a reasonable price will be to sit and wait and hope that Clowney is there at #2 where they can get a decent deal from Snead.

So what can Jax do if they want Clowney? They have 3 choices.
1. Sit and wait at #3 and pray for a miracle. Good luck with that.
2. They can hope that Houston isn't too afraid to drop down to #3 to get their QB.
3. They can try to outbid Atlanta for the #2 pick, if Houston won't trade down from #1 to #3.

All I feel pretty sure about is that Clowney is going #1 or #2 overall.

Alan

Legend
max with a good answer:
Remember. Houston may be too afraid to trade down to #6. If Houston is targeting a QB, trading down to #6 will much more strongly jeopardize their chances of getting their guy compared to trading down to #3. And as I said Houston may even be too afraid of losing their guy to make the trade with Jax. So the point here is that Atlanta may very well not even be able to deal with Houston unless they give them the farm. Really, the only chance Atlanta has of getting Clowney at a reasonable price will be to sit and wait and hope that Clowney is there at #2 where they can get a decent deal from Snead.

So what can Jax do if they want Clowney? They have 3 choices.
1. Sit and wait at #3 and pray for a miracle. Good luck with that.
2. They can hope that Houston isn't too afraid to drop down to #3 to get their QB.
3. They can try to outbid Atlanta for the #2 pick, if Houston won't trade down from #1 to #3.

All I feel pretty sure about is that Clowney is going #1 or #2 overall.
Yeah I mentioned that fear already and this makes a lot more sense. Although it doesn't change the fact that they would have to pay us less but take a chance on losing their guy.

I do think you should have had a fourth choice. If Houston is willing to pass on Clowney to pick a QB then trading with Jax (or anybody except the Rams) causes them to lose control of the process and they could lose the QB they covet because the Rams might trade the 2nd pick to a QB needy team that will take their guy. The only way that works for them is if they have pretty much equal grades on two different QBs.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I love this Chess game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love: