Could Chris Johnson Re-Unite With Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Could Chris Johnson Re-Unite With Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher?
BY BLAINE GRISAK - MAR 2ND, 2014

Like every other piece of the Jeff Fisher era in Tennessee, the Titans seem to be moving on and are “cleaning house”. One piece that they most likely will be moving on from is running back Chris Johnson, also known as CJ2K, who is set to hit the free agent market.

In his time in St. Louis, head coach Jeff Fisher has re-united with some of his former players from Tennessee. Cornerback Cortland Finnegan and Tight End Jared Cook instantly come to mind of guys who left the Titans and joined Fisher and the Rams.

The most recent guy who could join that list is Johnson, a first round pick of Fisher’s in Tennessee. Johnson is notably one of the few running backs to ever rush for over 2,000 yards, hence the name CJ2K, and he did so under Fisher in only his second year in the league.

The Rams have stated that they like running back Zac Stacy and he is the guy that is going to carry the load, but the Rams could use a guy to split time with Stacy. Johnson is a veteran guy who has proven himself in this league and would add a speedy back to the Rams backfield.

Other Rams speedy back include Daryl Richardson who showed promise his rookie year, but struggled when he got his chance last season, and second round pick Isaiah Pead who is finally working is way on special teams.

Although Johnson has “fallen off the map” since his 2,000 yard season, he has remained consistent throughout his career having at least a respectable 1,000 yards rushing in each of his six seasons in the NFL, something that isn’t very easy to do.

Fisher is loyal to his guys, for better or worse at times, and it shouldn’t be surprising if the Rams at least make an effort at Johnson in free agency. The Rams would certainly like to try to avoid wearing Stacy down early in his career, and adding a guy like Johnson would take some of the load off of the sixth round pick out of Vanderbilt.

Although Johnson has incredible big play ability, he does have a few red flags that stick out. The first being that he wants to be payed like a top running back when the fact of the matter is, he is not. He is a rotational guy in a two-back system at best.

The second big red flag is similar to the first in which Johnson wants to be a starting running back and the featured guy. The Titans ran into this problem with Johnson when they signed Shonn Greene. Johnson wants to be the only guy and if he gets that opportunity he will take it.

The final big red flag of Johnson is that he is 28 years old. Even though that isn’t very old, for a running back it is, especially for a running back like Johnson, whose numbers have been going down. A lot of running backs struggle past 30, and Johnson is quickly reaching that number.

Every player has red flags, but the point is, Johnson can still play, and he may just need a fresh start. Given that he has had success under Fisher, the Rams would make a lot of sense for Johnson, he would just have to agree to wear a different number than 28.

If the Rams could get Johnson for the right price, and not overpay him like they did Cortland Finnegan, then it would definitely be worth it. Johnson would add a lot to the Rams running game.

The Rams are could use a speedy running back to take some of the load off of Stacy. Although they are working with cap space that is very limited, adding a unique offensive weapon like CJ2K, just might be worth the price.

Last edited:

iced

i actually think CJ would flourish in Schotty's run scheme, but i don't know if it would be a wise move... i wouldn't be against it but only at right the price - like cheap.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CJ like many other NFL RB's had their best game in 2013 against Fisher/Walton.

CJ had 23 carries and got 150 yds at 6.5 yds a pop plus 20 yds in receiving too a 170 yd game.CJ only had two 100 yd games. I would prefer to use any pennies of extra cap funds be directed towards JoLunn Dunbar and UFA OL'ers. We have Stacy-Cunningham-Richardson- Pead & Reynolds under contract all very young all healthy.

Jacob Bell....Cortland Finnegan & Drew Bennett seems to come to my mind here not sure why but it does???....I hate it when I can not connect the dots & have a brain cloud moment??

Last edited:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Chris Johnson on the same team with Tavon Austin... the possiblities... :eek::eek::eek:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If they want to have dinner or take a long walk in the park, great.
He's done, let it go.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Johnson will turn 29 this season and has been on the decline for a while now.

I'd offer a one year's vet minimum to be a backup/change of pace guy, but nothing more.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No thanks. If we're going to add another piece to the RB core lets do it through the draft.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If the rams can sign CJ for cheap, do it. Stacy is nice but a healthy motivated CJ is much better.

jjab360

Legend
If CJ knew his role as a backup and was willing to come for cheap, I'd do it. Neither one of those is likely to happen, though.

Speed backs don't age well, and when they begin to regress and lose their speed it goes downhill fast for those guys.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It'd have to be a cheap contract. With that said I can't see CJ swallowing some pride and taking that big of a pay cut. As for his injuries, he'd be splitting reps between two other RB's. He should be fine.

I'd actually love to see him in horns with a nasty OL. One can dream...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CJ isn't going to get a big offer from anyone.

Me personally; stick with the young legs we got. Flyer on a late rounder.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
CJ isn't going to get a big offer from anyone.

Me personally; stick with the young legs we got. Flyer on a late rounder.

Heck let's just resign Quinn right now. I'd feel better going forward... :D

ausmurp

Starter
Yeah CJ has to be the guy he won't be a backup or split time. I can see him going to Denver, which is scary for the AFC...

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think what the Rams do at the RB position will really tell what they think about Richardson.

I think they are happy with Stacy as the starter...Cunningham as depth...and Pead as a STs player. The question is do they view Cunningham as a legitimate No.2? Do they view Richardson as a legitimate No.2?

Simba

Rookie
We need a serius running game next year.We can't allow to the opponents to play against our offense focusing their attentions on Bradford.He will have a very tough season especially with some phisical problem.We can't risk losing him again.So CJ could help us to develop this strategy and at the moment I don't think it's possible with Stacy and Cunningham (I like them, but they are not enough).We don't need a Rb.We need a great RB and CJ is it!I don't known how to find out a salary space, but JF has to do it!