Cosell on T Greg Robinson: Not a Finished Product

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
it's his #1 knock/question mark, and its been repeated everywhere. I'm shocked this is the first you've heard?

What I've heard repeated everywhere about his pass blocking is that Auburn didn't pass a lot (which they didn't) therefor he hasn't had to do much of it. However WHEN HE WAS he was fine. His sample set just isn't at the same level as the other OTs .

Well you have no evidence that I can't pass block. Are you going to be happy if the Rams draft me?

Sure. Are you 25 years old, 6'5" 335 lbs, and run a sub 5 sec forty? How about 35" arms that can bench 225 32 times. Is your broad jump in the 115 range?
It is? Good. Oh, have you also been one of the most dominate linemen in the SEC the past year on a team that rode your run blocking to the national championship? Have you also been a good pass blocker who knows how to read the blitz, but just haven't been able to do it that much because your team didn't pass? Yes!!! Welcome to the St. Louis Rams Gnome!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
You could ask that about every evaluation and opinion regarding the draft. Everyone is simple stating what they think is going to be. That's the fun in this.

There's question marks, and then there's known weaknesses. There's a big difference between the 2. That's the only thing I'm implying. I'm not trying to say I can predict the future of any draft pick or player.

iced

What I've heard repeated everywhere about his pass blocking is that Auburn didn't pass a lot (which they didn't) therefor he hasn't had to do much of it. However WHEN HE WAS he was fine. His sample set just isn't at the same level as the other OTs

Uhh no - actually he's known to be over aggressive, at times uses poor technique and struggles with edge rushers, and guys get underneath his pads...there's a reason they use "upside" and not "polished" with him. He also grabs a lot and holds a lot - has to do with poor technique and/or balance. He also isn't the bast lateral slider either.

Some think he's gonna have trouble with speed rushers on the next level.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132166/greg-robinson
NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Auburn T Greg Robinson has a long way to go to become a finished product.
"I think he has a ton of potential as a road grading, run blocking offensive tackle," Cosell began. "I think he is a work in progress in pass protection... there would be questions, not concerns, on how he would pass protect on an island against edge speed." Our own Josh Norris has shared these same questions, since Robinson frequently was asked to block inside or double team in pass protection sets. Mar 28 - 11:33 AM

Lot of people are questioning it - it's his knock.

Some people think he'll be a better guard at the next level. Maybe another saffold here?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Uhh no - actually he's known to be over aggressive, at times uses poor technique and struggles with edge rushers, and guys get underneath his pads...there's a reason they use "upside" and not "polished" with him. He also grabs a lot and holds a lot - has to do with poor technique and/or balance. He also isn't the bast lateral slider either.

Some think he's gonna have trouble with speed rushers on the next level.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132166/greg-robinson

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Auburn T Greg Robinson has a long way to go to become a finished product.
"I think he has a ton of potential as a road grading, run blocking offensive tackle," Cosell began. "I think he is a work in progress in pass protection... there would be questions, not concerns, on how he would pass protect on an island against edge speed." Our own Josh Norris has shared these same questions, since Robinson frequently was asked to block inside or double team in pass protection sets. Mar 28 - 11:33 AM

Lot of people are questioning it - it's his knock.

Some people think he'll be a better guard at the next level. Maybe another saffold here?

"Would" being the key word here. He was fine at picking up edge rushes in College, but he can absolutely work on his feet and hand placement in the pass game. I don't mind saying it's his "knock," or that it's in question. I just have a problem with saying it's a known weakness of his. He was actually very serviceable in pass blocking when asked to do so. Fact of the matter is, if we had to have him or Lewan protecting Sams backside day 1, I'd take Robinson.

I'm don't have anything against Matthews either btw. I like them both. Like I said I'm trusting the Rams on this one. Coach B has met them both first hand, and got to see them both in action first hand. Whoever he wants is fine with me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have not seen anything from Robinson that makes me think that he is or will be an elite Pass protector.

Judging from last season, run blocking was not the Rams offensive lines weakness, pass protection was

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I have not seen anything from Robinson that makes me think that he is or will be an elite Pass protector.

Judging from last season, run blocking was not the Rams offensive lines weakness, pass protection was

Actually the team was pretty solid in pass blocking. Not only until Stacy came on and they moved Saffold to guard did the run game do anything at all.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Actually the team was pretty solid in pass blocking. Not only until Stacy came on and they moved Saffold to guard did the run game do anything at all.

You must have missed the first four games. The pass blocking did not get better until they Figured that they had to have a run game a run game. When they tried a pass heavy offense the line crumbled....badly. It could be argued that if a team needs two extra blockers to help the line pass block and run block then the line is not all that good at either.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
You must have missed the first four games. The pass blocking did not get better until they Figured that they had to have a run game a run game. When they tried a pass heavy offense the line crumbled....badly. It could be argued that if a team needs two extra blockers to help the line pass block and run block then the line is not all that good at either.

They didn't give up a single sack the first 2 games, then Long got manhandled by Ware and the rest of line collapsed. Then against SF Wells got his ass handed to him by Dorsey on 1 play and the receivers not getting open/Sam holding onto the ball too long caused the other.

Besides the Dallas game they played pretty well I'd say. In fact the played so well that pro football focus had them ranked 6th overall with a +14 grade at the time. The rushing totals for those games btw... 67, 69, 35, and 18. That's right, a total of 189 yards rushing in 4 games. With a whopping eightFUCKINGteen against San Fran.

iced

"Would" being the key word here. He was fine at picking up edge rushes in College, but he can absolutely work on his feet and hand placement in the pass game. I don't mind saying it's his "knock," or that it's in question. I just have a problem with saying it's a known weakness of his. He was actually very serviceable in pass blocking when asked to do so. Fact of the matter is, if we had to have him or Lewan protecting Sams backside day 1, I'd take Robinson.

I'm don't have anything against Matthews either btw. I like them both. Like I said I'm trusting the Rams on this one. Coach B has met them both first hand, and got to see them both in action first hand. Whoever he wants is fine with me.

and i'm just sayin' - there are plenty of times where i've watched robinson...and he scares me as a LT prospect at #2 overall... I've seen a lot of whiffs and plays that make me legitimately concerned.....not the same with mathews

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
It doesn't make it any easier on a line when a team has absolutely no respect for your rushing attack, and your team gets down so fast that they know for a better part of the game that YOU HAVE to pass. The Rams were "pass heavy" in those games because they couldn't do jack shit on the ground, and the defense shit the bed. Don't believe me? Go re-watch the games, shit, look at the play by plays if you want. Look at when the rushing attempts happened, the balance of play calling at the time, then even look at the overall averages for those games. It's pitiful.

Finally Schottenheimer discovered the power running game with Stacy and the O took off. I don't even have to tell you how much Sam benefited because his numbers at the time speak for themselves. That's why the timing of his injury hurts so bad.

There's a reason why I want Oline and even more talent at running back in this draft.

Last edited:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
and i'm just sayin' - there are plenty of times where i've watched robinson...and he scares me as a LT prospect at #2 overall... I've seen a lot of whiffs and plays that make me legitimately concerned.....not the same with mathews

I haven't seen said whiffs but the rawness and inexperience is there I agree. His footwork needs to improve greatly and his hand placement. If he's coachable (something I'm sure coach Boudreau knows by now) I'm sure this can be ironed out while he plays guard for a while. If the Rams think his ceiling is at guard, and are concerned he's too raw/can't be coached to a point where he's a LOT, then I have no problem with that either.

I have nothing against Matthews either. I will be ecstatic if the Rams draft him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think you have it all wrong. They wanted the high flying attack from the start. They had the receivers and TEs running routes but the line could not hold up without the extra blockers. Before game five Fisher put a halt to the lunacy and figured out that the spread offense crap had to go because they couldn't pull it off. The pass blocking was inconsistent all year. Some games Clemens had no time to throw. Yhe second round of division games all come to mind.

If you think the line is good then I guess we don't need any linemen in the draft.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think you have it all wrong. They wanted the high flying attack from the start. They had the receivers and TEs running routes but the line could not hold up without the extra blockers. Before game five Fisher put a halt to the lunacy and figured out that the spread offense crap had to go because they couldn't pull it off. The pass blocking was inconsistent all year. Some games Clemens had no time to throw. Yhe second round of division games all come to mind.

If you think the line is good then I guess we don't need any linemen in the draft.

Not what I'm implying, at all... Obviously. Btw, I don't want a "good" line. Something that yes, we absolutely DID HAVE at times last year. I want them to build a DOMINATE line this offseason first priority, over every other single aspect of the team. Considering the durability and existing holes of the current one, we're going to have to draft help at sometime just to get back to "good."