Conference call with Zac Stacy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(On how his day is going)
“Going good. I got some pretty good news, but I’m excited, just ready for the opportunity.”

(On if is this where he expected to go)
“I was projected late rounds, so this is about how far I was expecting in the draft. I wasn’t really stressing about it because I knew, like you guys mentioned, I was projected late round and I was just sitting around, relaxing, not trying to stress about it, watching a little bit of the draft, fellowshipping with my family. It all worked out great.”

(On how much contact he had with the Rams during the pre-draft process)
“(Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher and the G.M. (General Manager Les Snead) actually came down for a private workout along with the running back coach (Ben Sirmans). Obviously Coach Fisher has ties with Nashville, so it was good to see him. They worked me out and I watched a little film with the running back coach. They were really impressed with the football IQ of things in terms of playbook and concepts of offense. One thing Vanderbilt did that prepared me real well in terms of learning the concept of the different offenses because in college, we ran a similar pro-style offense that most NFL teams run. So, it was good that I was real familiar with that, knew the tendencies and the defensive tendencies from a learning standpoint. So they were real impressed.”

(On if he had a good feel the Rams would draft him)
“Yes. I feel like St. Louis is a great situation for me. My mentality is not going to change. My mentality is to come in and do whatever I can to help their organization be successful and that team be successful. Coach Fisher has a great staff and I’m excited.”

(On how long ago the private workout was with Coach Fisher)
“It was actually a couple weeks ago. Maybe two, two and a half weeks ago, so it wasn’t long at all.”

(On how he felt about the Rams’ interest in him after the private workout)
“I felt like they were (interested). The only thing I could control was just going out and competing for them. Everything else took care of itself. Just talking to them, getting a vibe from them, they were real impressed. They were impressed with the football knowledge that I have from an offensive standpoint, from a playbook standpoint, and so I had a feeling that they were pretty interested.”

(On how he feels about the opening at running back now that Steven Jackson is no longer with the team)
“Steven Jackson was a great back. It is unfortunate that the Rams had to lose him, but at the same time, my mentality is not going to change. I’m going to come in to compete. Just try to put this organization, this team, in the best possible situation to be successful. This is (a) characteristic about myself. This is how I carry myself – wanting to just go in and compete and win. Ultimately, the overall goal is to win and I’m going to do what I can to help that organization get put in that situation.”

(On how he felt about being named team captain in college)
“It was a good honor. Other than becoming Vanderbilt’s all-time leading rusher, that was probably one of my other greatest accomplishments ever, just being voted as captain by my teammates. I kind of had to get molded into that vocal leader because I always led by example. I was the guy that came to practice with a blue-collar mentality and it kind of domino effected the other guys, especially the young guys in terms of how to practice, how to get things done, how to compete and practice at a high level from a professional standpoint. Playing in college, the last two seasons we played a twelve, thirteen game season and with that comes a lot of adversity. One thing that I did, especially with the offensive line, even with the defensive guys, just kept those guys positive, kept a positive vibe on the sideline and everything worked out.”

(On Vanderbilt coming back as a program)
“Coach (James) Franklin has done a phenomenal job with that program. I’m just proud to be one of those bricks that laid the foundation for the success they had and the ongoing success that they are going to continue to have. Coach Franklin, along with him being an outstanding coach, one thing that he did, with not only me, but with the rest of the guys, which is he would help us become better students of the game. It’s really one of those things where I will always cherish. Coach Franklin obviously has ties in the NFL, so he’s familiar from the offensive standpoint, a lot of concepts and a lot of the same stuff he brought from the NFL for our team in terms of the offensive. Obviously he’s a young guy, so a lot of his players relate to him very well. He’s a great recruiter. For the past two years we’ve been top 20 in recruiting and it’s just the connection that this program is headed. People are excited.”

(On if he knew the Rams were interested in him)
“He (Fisher) definitely mentioned that he watched me while he was here in Nashville. He definitely kept a close eye on me. He was really proud of the success I had. I figured he liked me a little bit, that was definitely positive. Coach Fisher is a great coach. He has a great staff on his hands up there in St. Louis. I’m just proud to be part of the organization. I’m just blessed to be in this opportunity. There are 100 guys out there that would love to be in my shoes. I’m just going to take advantage of the opportunity and just get back to work.”

(On his time at Vanderbilt)
“Vanderbilt was a great school. One of the reasons I went to ‘Vandy’ was (to play) in the best conference in the nation in the SEC, and getting a world class education as well. I actually graduated from Vanderbilt in three and a half years, so the process, in terms of preparing for the combine and preparing for the pro day, would be a lot easier. Aside from that, the experience was great. I kind of struggled a little bit academically. A lot of guys get intimidated from a recruiting standpoint of the whole Vanderbilt part of it. We have plenty of resources there in terms of academic counselors, in terms of tutors, networking with peers, networking with professors. I was able to adjust and have a good time, managed in terms of doing assignments when they needed to be done before and after practice. I was able to graduate in three and a half years with a degree in education.”

(On his style of play)
“Despite barely touching 5’9, I’m 218 pounds. I feel like I run like I’m 230 (pounds) because I have a unique sense of power about me. I love getting north and south as quick as I can. I love getting out in open space. I was used a lot in the screen game at Vanderbilt. Being out in open space and making guys miss, and just being that productive back. One thing I (take) pride in as a running back is productivity and consistency. That’s one thing I did a pretty good job of throughout my career at Vanderbilt, being productive and consistent. That’s one of the key aspects you have to have at that position at the next level.”

(On where in Alabama he’s from)
“Centreville is actually 20 miles east of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. It’s kind of west-central Alabama. Centreville is a small town, and everybody knows everybody, and everybody is proud at this point. It’s just good to represent Centreville, represent Vanderbilt, and I’m just ready to get back to work.”

(On how playing in the SEC prepared him for the NFL)
“There’s no doubt about it because there’s always a stretch that we (have) in our schedule where we’re playing Florida, Georgia and Tennessee back-to-back. It was good to have success against those teams as well. At the same time, playing against NFL-type bodies and taking that pounding week-in and week-out was definitely a great internship, per se, to me in terms of taking that pounding from those little bitty line backers and defensive tackles. I tell people all the time that’s one of the things that will help me be prepared for the next level, playing in the SEC. We have a theme about the SEC: SEC stands for ‘Speed Eliminates Competition.’ We are a fast conference and have a lot of big bodies in that conference. The success I had and some of the things I did around the league these past couple years are definitely a reflection of how well and how prepared I am to play at the next level.”

(On if he played against LB Alec Ogletree)
“No. Back when I played against Alec was when he was playing safety. I didn’t really play against him before he moved to linebacker because I think he was suspended a couple games when we played them last year. For the most part it’s good to play against those guys you played against in the SEC, and you get to compete again with those guys. I’m excited for him and I’m sure he’s pumped up for the opportunity, like I am.”

(On if he was a fan of Alabama growing up)
“No. I actually wasn’t an Alabama or Auburn fan growing up. I went to high school at Bibb County High School, and playing football for Bibb County was probably one of the biggest deals when you’re a kid here. I didn’t really have a favorite team in terms of Alabama or Auburn, but the shirt I wore for Alabama-Auburn day was Auburn. I guess you could say I was an Auburn fan growing up. I really wasn’t recruited by Alabama. I was recruited a little bit by Auburn. I never got an offer from either one of them. I just took my talents to Nashville and had a great career there. I’m just proud to be proud alum.”

(On if his city was affected by tornadoes in 2011)
“Unfortunately, yes. The northern part of my county was a little affected, but not Bibb County itself. There was a little town at the tip of our county which heads into Tuscaloosa called Eola, Alabama, which was affected. A lot of damage was out there. I have a lot of relatives and family that actually live in Tuscaloosa. Fortunately they avoided the tornado, but they were devastated by it. I think today is the anniversary for it, so it’s kind of an emotional deal in terms of the families and loved ones that were lost on that day. I still claim Tuscaloosa, with me being 20 minutes away. I have family there, like I said, and my heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones a couple years ago.”

(On if he met General Manager Les Snead)
“I did. He came down during the private workout and he was there while I worked out. He’s great people. He was good to talk to and fellowship with. He was a little excited about me on that day of the workout. It was good to meet him, and good to meet Coach Fisher. I’m just real excited.”

(On if he knew Snead was a graduate of Auburn)
“He did reference that he was from Alabama. I think he said he was originally from Huntsville, but I’m not sure what city. He has Alabama ties.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dude's got an extensive vocabulary, yeah?

samuel_l_jackson_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg

"Check out the big brain on Zac!"