College Football Coaching Moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Aside form last year A&M is a .500 team in conference about what I thought OK would be, middle of the road. Things always can change especially when they get a new coach, I haven't seen any rumors on who it will be yet. LSU is what 2 years removed from a national Title? OK gets blown out every time they play somebody in the college championship games.

Their only blow out was against LSU, who had basically their entire roster made of future NFL stars.

Since 2015...

Orange Bowl v Clemson (I know they aren't SEC but they're also a powerhouse), 37-17, but the game was a 1 possession until late in the 3rd.

Sugar Bowl v Auburn - W 35-19

Rose Bowl v Georgia - L 48-54, BUT that was double OT

Orange Bowl v Alabama - L 34-45

Peach Bowl v LSU - ok, yes THAT was the only true ass kicking.

Cotton Bowl v Florida - W 55-20.

Assuming they get the right coach and can recruit like normal (which again OU is known for), they'll be able to whoop up on most of the teams. Alabama and Georgia will be their biggest yearly challenges, but they've shown they can not only hang but beat them too. OU beat Alabama way back in 2013 (who had Derrick Henry lol).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Oklahoma doesn't kill the hire they'll be in trouble moving into a tougher SEC. The combo could be very painful.

Coaching is always big but in college boy is it the ballgame because of the importance of recruiting. Gonna be really interesting to see who they hire.

Oh and that reaction by the ND kids for their new coach wow. That looks like an energized roster of dudes to me, we'll see how he stacks up should be fun to watch USC kick their ass every year too. :laugh4:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Players seem happy with the choice. I know nothing about the man but this is a great scene.

View: https://twitter.com/NDFootball/status/1466773192563904519

Lifelong Notre Dame honk and I haven’t been this happy about a coaching hire since Lou Holtz
ND had its best recruiting class because of Freeman and injected a real winning attitude.
Kelly offered him, Rees and a few other assistants jobs on his staff and they all said no.
Good riddance.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Lifelong Notre Dame honk and I haven’t been this happy about a coaching hire since Lou Holtz
ND had its best recruiting class because of Freeman and injected a real winning attitude.
Kelly offered him, Rees and a few other assistants jobs on his staff and they all said no.
Good riddance.

Brian Kelly can go fuck himself up the ass with a railroad spike. What happened to Declan Sullivan should've been a potential manslaughter charge for both Kelly and the AD. I never forgot what the poor kid had to go through in his last moments.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brian Kelly can go fuck himself up the ass with a railroad spike. What happened to Declan Sullivan should've been a potential manslaughter charge for both Kelly and the AD. I never forgot what the poor kid had to go through in his last moments.
I’ve never understood why that was dropped. And I’m shocked that it still remains a non starter while people are coming out of the woodwork to talk shit on Kelly.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I’ve never understood why that was dropped. And I’m shocked that it still remains a non starter while people are coming out of the woodwork to talk shit on Kelly.

Kelly's just a shitty excuse for a person. It was his decision to have Declan film practice from a hydraulic lift in 50 mph winds. Before that, he ditched Cincinnati before the bowl game, and didn't even consider his players (Mardy Gilyard basically said that Kelly considered Cinci nothing more than a "stepping stone" and basically abandoned his players, much like he's doing with Notre Dame now.)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kelly's just a shitty excuse for a person. It was his decision to have Declan film practice from a hydraulic lift in 50 mph winds. Before that, he ditched Cincinnati before the bowl game, and didn't even consider his players (Mardy Gilyard basically said that Kelly considered Cinci nothing more than a "stepping stone" and basically abandoned his players, much like he's doing with Notre Dame now.)

IMO, you're being a little over the top here. Kelly was very successful at Notre Dame plus evolved as people have the ability to do. Coaches can leave in college, Kelly gave Notre Dame 10 great years, he owed them nothing. All of us have made some mistakes in the past, Kelly was much better the last several years dealing with his players.

I don't blame him for taking the LSU job and it's the nature of the beast of the profession. Dick Vermeil once had his players practicing at Western Illinois University and was told there was a tornado approaching and Vermeil's response? "How long until it hits?" Classic, times were different and I for one always liked Brian Kelly and feel strongly that he will win a national title at LSU.

@Memento tough love is not always a bad thing as long as it's channeled correctly and players & people know, you're trying to make them better. Again, JMHO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The most bizzaro situation would be if someone was able to throw enough money at Luke Fickell to get him to leave Cincinnati before the playoff, and somehow end up with two coachless teams involved it.
Kelly is leaving right away?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Of course Cincinnati was a stepping stone. Going from CU to Notre Dame is a more obvious choice than Saban going from Michigan State to Alabama.

Every school that is not able to pay top money to a head coach is a stepping stone.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not that many care but Penn State signed Franklin to a 10 year deal. Just shoot me please. Franklin is a lousy coach. To make things worse their most consistent coach, Brent Pry DC took the VaTech job.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, you're being a little over the top here. Kelly was very successful at Notre Dame plus evolved as people have the ability to do. Coaches can leave in college, Kelly gave Notre Dame 10 great years, he owed them nothing. All of us have made some mistakes in the past, Kelly was much better the last several years dealing with his players.

I don't blame him for taking the LSU job and it's the nature of the beast of the profession. Dick Vermeil once had his players practicing at Western Illinois University and was told there was a tornado approaching and Vermeil's response? "How long until it hits?" Classic, times were different and I for one always liked Brian Kelly and feel strongly that he will win a national title at LSU.

@Memento tough love is not always a bad thing as long as it's channeled correctly and players & people know, you're trying to make them better. Again, JMHO.
Dude, Kelly is pure scum.
Sullivan wasn’t a player, he was a student that was forced to climb up the birds nest to film a practice. Meanwhile, it was a near state of emergency in Indiana with winds of 50-70 mph.
It was inexcusable for Kelly to force that kid in to that situation. And now there is a set of parents out there mourning while Kelly moves on to his big pay day.
To make matters worse, he couldn’t even fake remorse to the situation.
I for one am thrilled that asshole is gone. His berating of players on the sideline was completely unacceptable.
At the end of the day actions speak louder than words. Kelly reached out to several members of the coaching staff and offered them opportunities on his staff which would pay them at the highest rate in the nation.
They all stayed at Notre Dame

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dude, Kelly is pure scum.
Sullivan wasn’t a player, he was a student that was forced to climb up the birds nest to film a practice. Meanwhile, it was a near state of emergency in Indiana with winds of 50-70 mph.
It was inexcusable for Kelly to force that kid in to that situation. And now there is a set of parents out there mourning while Kelly moves on to his big pay day.
To make matters worse, he couldn’t even fake remorse to the situation.
I for one am thrilled that asshole is gone. His berating of players on the sideline was completely unacceptable.
At the end of the day actions speak louder than words. Kelly reached out to several members of the coaching staff and offered them opportunities on his staff which would pay them at the highest rate in the nation.
They all stayed at Notre Dame
I remember that incident and stand corrected, my apologies to you & @Memento I'm looking forward to the Marcus Freeman regime.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not that many care but Penn State signed Franklin to a 10 year deal. Just shoot me please. Franklin is a lousy coach. To make things worse their most consistent coach, Brent Pry DC took the VaTech job.
My analysis of Franklin is he's an excellent recruiter & class act, but not much of an X's & O's guy. He needs quality assistants around him and Pry was one of the best DC's in college football and I'm pleased he's getting a chance at VA Tech. Now, we will see who Franklin hires to take his place.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My analysis of Franklin is he's an excellent recruiter & class act, but not much of an X's & O's guy. He needs quality assistants around him and Pry was one of the best DC's in college football and I'm pleased he's getting a chance at VA Tech. Now, we will see who Franklin hires to take his place.
Spot on assessments. Franklin is a terrible game day coach. He makes bizarre decisions with timeouts. He’s far too reliant on having good assistants because he does not have a specialty of his own. That’s a bad formula for a team trying to climb the ladder. It’s one step ahead then four back. I really wanted Franklin to go to USC or LSU. Get a good ax’s and O’s guy in house.