College football CCG weekend who you got?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Washington should def be in now. They took care of business. Alabama so far taking care of there business as well.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I think theres a case to be made to put Penn St. in over Ohio St now. They beat Ohio St and won there conference. I doubt they will get in but seems dumb now to put Ohio St in under these circumstances. it makes conference title games seem worthless.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I think the playoff picture looks like this after this weekend:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Penn State

If the above scenario plays out, I think Ohio State ends up on the outside looking in. Unless the committee goes full on hypocrite and reverses its criteria that they used to keep TCU/Baylor out in 2014 (not winning your conference). Penn State will own not only the h2h against tOSU but will also have 2 top 10 wins and own the conference hardware. I cant foresee them taking what is essentially 3rd place in the B1G over the champ or another conference champ.

I think poor Oklahoma State is going to get screwed if they win too, since the loss to CMU was straight up a failure of the refs to make the correct ruling and they would be a 1 loss team who would be in the discussion otherwise.

You may have got this right. I hope they put Penn St in over Ohio St.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Penn State won't get in over Ohio State. They need Clemson or Washington to lose. Right now, I'd say:
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Wisconsin

But if Colorado pulls the upset (like I'm predicting), it would be a close call between them and Wisconsin.

Wisconsin? Another non believer I guess

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You weren't better than Michigan State, though. They beat you. In fact, they beat you without their starting QB, Connor Cook. You were clearly worse than them. You matched up with Alabama better than they did. But that's not a reason to put Ohio State in.

This year, Ohio State will get in. Penn State may or may not be better. It was a pretty flukey game. But they have a worse resume.

Why do people call that game flukey? Ohio State blocked a field goal and had a safety. The PSU defense shut them down in the second half, and the blocked field goal wasn't the last play of the game. The supposedly superior Ohio State team had plenty of time to make a drive and score, but the Penn State defense stopped them. And the guy that ran the blocked field goal back for a TD, also made the Big fourth down tackle against Wisconsin to seal the conference championship. I am tired of people trying to marginalize that win. You all are mesmerized by Urban's Dracula like stair or something. Ohio State does not have a great OLine, they don't have elite receivers, or running back right now. They are not the same team from two years ago.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Has nothing to do with media love.

For one thing, Penn State has two losses whereas we only have one - that matters and has mattered more than anything in College football forever. Think about it this way: we (people) think of a loss as such a bad thing that they dropped Michigan below Washington for losing in 2 OT with questionable officiating on the road against the number 2 team in the country - if ever a team should have been viewed better after a loss, it was Michigan after the game last weekend - and yet they still dropped beneath Washington (who did have an impressive win - but considering the differences in opponent and the nature of the OSU/Michigan game, I was more impressed with Michigan than I was Washington). Ohio State's wins simply cannot be overlooked. Head to head is not always an indicator of which team is better - any team can win on any given day - that's why they look at the complete body of work instead of one game, and over that body of work Ohio State was VASTLY superior to Penn State.

Baylor and TCU didn't get shafted - Ohio State was a better team than both of them that year. Regardless of what the committee says, it was the complete domination of Wisconsin in the championship game that swayed the committee.

Quality wins count and Ohio State should have lost that game to Michigan, and should have tied Michigan State. They are being overrated on ' The win' . The reality is they struggled late and were a hairs width from having three losses. Them being #2 is not the slam dunk that everyone is making it out to be. Of the four teams that get in, I think they will be the weakest. They are very good on defense but their Offense is not as good as it has been.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do people call that game flukey? Ohio State blocked a field goal and had a safety. The PSU defense shut them down in the second half, and the blocked field goal wasn't the last play of the game. The supposedly superior Ohio State team had plenty of time to make a drive and score, but the Penn State defense stopped them. And the guy that ran the blocked field goal back for a TD, also made the Big fourth down tackle against Wisconsin to seal the conference championship. I am tired of people trying to marginalize that win. You all are mesmerized by Urban's Dracula like stair or something. Ohio State does not have a great OLine, they don't have elite receivers, or running back right now. They are not the same team from two years ago.

You just explained why it was fluky. A lot of weird shit went down. It was 21-17 with about 4.5 minutes left, and you guys blocked a kick for a TD to win it 24-21. When you add that to the long list of weird things that went down, it's hard to say who the better team is. I'd say it's likely Ohio State. But it was such a weird game that it didn't really give any clarity to it.

Ohio State still has a very strong squad this year. Not as good as the past but still strong. I think their offensive skill players are better than most believe. Barrett holds them back. He's not a good passer. That Curtis Samuel kid is really good. And Noah Brown has impressed me when I've watched them.

Wisconsin? Another non believer I guess

The Colorado call was a lot worse. I was hoping for some chaos. At least Wisconsin led for most of the game. :LOL:

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Just a shout out for Temple winning American Conference.
And my old High School, Wilson ( West Lawn ) making it to the Pa State semi finals and getting beat by Pittsburgh Central Catholic.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You just explained why it was fluky. A lot of weird crap went down. It was 21-17 with about 4.5 minutes left, and you guys blocked a kick for a TD to win it 24-21. When you add that to the long list of weird things that went down, it's hard to say who the better team is. I'd say it's likely Ohio State. But it was such a weird game that it didn't really give any clarity to it.

Ohio State still has a very strong squad this year. Not as good as the past but still strong. I think their offensive skill players are better than most believe. Barrett holds them back. He's not a good passer. That Curtis Samuel kid is really good. And Noah Brown has impressed me when I've watched them.

The Colorado call was a lot worse. I was hoping for some chaos. At least Wisconsin led for most of the game. :LOL:

Penn State has been a good second half team since the second half of the season. The Minnesota game was a turning point as Franklin said. The team started to believe, the new offense was starting to come together and the defense was getting healthy. They were playing their 5th and 6th string OTs down the stretch and were still pulling out big wins with huge scores against good teams. The PSU second half comeback against Ohio State follows suit. Ohio State just has a much better defense than most of the others, so it was close. They came back against OSU and it is no coincidence that the guy that scored the game winning touchdown (Haley) made two huge stops against Wisconsin. Good teams make good plays in the clutch. It was not a fluky game. It was a hard fought defensive struggle. The PSU defense shut Ohio state down in the second half. Why is a defensive struggle a fluke? PSU had a DE suspended for the first half of the game. He came in for the second half and was a monster against OSU's weak young Offensive tackles. If he had played the entire game maybe OSU doesn't score at all. It was not a fluke win. Defense can win games.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quality wins count and Ohio State should have lost that game to Michigan, and should have tied Michigan State. They are being overrated on ' The win' . The reality is they struggled late and were a hairs width from having three losses. Them being #2 is not the slam dunk that everyone is making it out to be. Of the four teams that get in, I think they will be the weakest. They are very good on defense but their Offense is not as good as it has been.

I don't think we're the weakest of the 4, and there's little data to back that up IMO.

Look at a statistical breakdown between us and Clemson - we're superior in nearly every category, and we did it against a much more difficult schedule.

Michigan State always plays us tough...Penn State was the 2nd consecutive road night game against a very good opponent, and anything can happen against Michigan.

Also, that it was senior day for Mich St can't be discounted - and Michigan only beat them by 9 in their house. JT Barrett is awful in weather games, and all that adds up to what happened - a game that was much closer than it should have been.

In hindsight, I don't see any team in the country surviving back to back road night games at Wisconsin and at Penn State - two extremely difficult places to play, especially for Ohio State (their fans always seem extra loud when OSU plays there).

As for the Michigan game....wasn't pretty, but then again two years ago when we won the national championship, Michigan sucked and The Game was still close in the 2nd half. Crazy things happen when we play Michigan.

I think we're the 2nd best team.

Barrett definitely holds the offense back, but it's usually just in weather games - thankfully we won't have to deal with that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You just explained why it was fluky. A lot of weird crap went down. It was 21-17 with about 4.5 minutes left, and you guys blocked a kick for a TD to win it 24-21. When you add that to the long list of weird things that went down, it's hard to say who the better team is. I'd say it's likely Ohio State. But it was such a weird game that it didn't really give any clarity to it.

Ohio State is definitely better than Penn State. There are few that would even argue that despite their win.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Penn State has been a good second half team since the second half of the season. The Minnesota game was a turning point as Franklin said. The team started to believe, the new offense was starting to come together and the defense was getting healthy. They were playing their 5th and 6th string OTs down the stretch and were still pulling out big wins with huge scores against good teams. The PSU second half comeback against Ohio State follows suit. Ohio State just has a much better defense than most of the others, so it was close. They came back against OSU and it is no coincidence that the guy that scored the game winning touchdown (Haley) made two huge stops against Wisconsin. Good teams make good plays in the clutch. It was not a fluky game. It was a hard fought defensive struggle. The PSU defense shut Ohio state down in the second half. Why is a defensive struggle a fluke? PSU had a DE suspended for the first half of the game. He came in for the second half and was a monster against OSU's weak young Offensive tackles. If he had played the entire game maybe OSU doesn't score at all. It was not a fluke win. Defense can win games.

I'm not calling it a fluke because it was a defensive struggles. I'm calling it a fluky game because of all the odd things that happened. Two blocked kicks (one for the game-winning TD) and a safety.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not calling it a fluke because it was a defensive struggles. I'm calling it a fluky game because of all the odd things that happened. Two blocked kicks (one for the game-winning TD) and a safety.

Those three plays are good defensive plays. You choose to ignore how well the PSU defense played against OSU's offense. OSU was running 50+ on opponents all year, including Oklahoma.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Those three plays are good defensive plays. You choose to ignore how well the PSU defense played against OSU's offense. OSU was running 50+ on opponents all year, including Oklahoma.

If the tables were turned and Ohio State had two losses and were the B1G champions, but beat Penn State head to head.......and Penn State had only 1 loss but it was to Ohio State and wasn't conference champions, Ohio State still gets in because it is Urban Meyer and Ohio State. If PSU lost a close one to Ohio State it would be just another OSU win and dominating PSU.

Your Oline looked like shit in the second half of that game against PSU. OSU had a lot of time (4:00) to run down the field and score after the blocked field goal. It wasn't the last play of the game where they couldn't recover. If they were so superior, as everyone suggests, then that should have been no problem. Either OSU's offense was not that good like I said or PSU's defense is much better than people think. I do credit OSU's, very good defense because there were only three teams that held PSU to under 30 pts all year. That was a very closely played game by both teams. Yet somehow it was a fluke. PSU was supposedly going to lose to Wisconsin and their superior defense too......I guess that too was a fluke. Funny how Wisconsin's vaunted defensive backfield looked like shit against PSU's receivers. I guess that is just how it goes when a team has been down for several years. They are regarded as flukes until they consistently win several years in a row.

I get that Wisconsin is a tough home team and PSU is a tough home team. Do you really think that Pitt wasn't chomping at the bit to get PSU on their home turf. They were a huge rivalry for decades and if you ever visit their boards or follow recruiting in the Pittsburgh area you will find that Pitt regards PSU as their most hated rival, despite not playing them for many years. And that Pitt team was the same one that was able to beat Clemson down the stretch. That was destined to be a tough game for PSU. The Pitt team is very experienced and has NFL prospects across the Oline. That game came down to one dropped pass too with PSU fielding 4th, 5th, and 6th string LBers. They were still short handed facing Michigan. Plus they were still learning a new offense.

You can make excuses for both sides schedules. PSU really improved after the Minnesota game. They are a different team now and they are very evenly matched with OSU. No Ohio State fan will ever admit it though. That is understandable pride. The only reason people think it was a fluke is because PSU beat OSU and OSU isn't supposed to lose to them. If OSU wins by 3 then it is just another OSU win on a tough field that shows their dominance.......or so the story would go.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Sounds like your calling it a fluke because PSU needed crazy plays to beat OSU. Take away the crazy plays and PSU's offense still scored 17 points to OSU's 19. PSU's defense dominated OSU in the second half. It was a very even contest, but somehow Ohio State is still considered to be miles better than Penn State. It is only perception. One team has been winning for several years and has one of the top coaches/recruiters in the country and the other has been down for several years. That perception cancels out the possibility that PSU is better than, or even close to OSU despite beating them head to head in a hard fought contest, despite playing Wisconsin to a similar margin of victory as OSU and despite destroying a bad Michigan State team that Ohio State would have tied if not for the Dantonio rolling the dice.

The two teams are not that different and everything we have known about ranking college football teams goes out the window when it comes to a team like Ohio State or Alabama or a few others. Head to head is supposed to count, Conference championships are supposed to count, and early losses are not as impactful as late losses. But PSU's early losses while depleted of Linebackers and learning a new system count, while many in the media were pining for USC to get into the playoffs despite having 3 early losses, because they improved over the season.