Colin Cowherd:

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Anybody on the side of the anthem of we just don't need to do it before every sporting event?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I doesn't say must and that is why it is technically unenforceable as a rule. The owners probably still could enforce it but I'm not sure it actually would be something they would want to push. In any contract or employment manual, once you make a rule, trying to enforce it in a manner inconsistent with its exact wording is problematic. A common rule of thumb told to me by our labor attorneys was - if in doubt, leave it out.

Here's the rule:
"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

We are talking about two different leagues. The NBA says they must, the NFL doesn't.

The NFL rule is fucking stupid. Taking away draft picks? WTF?

Is it an actual rule or a bylaw or a suggestion?

Not that it matters anymore this is closing out soon anyway.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We are talking about two different leagues. The NBA says they must, the NFL doesn't.

The NFL rule is freaking stupid. Taking away draft picks? WTF?

Is it an actual rule or a bylaw or a suggestion?

Not that it matters anymore this is closing out soon anyway.
No argument. And it is apparently in the manual of operations so it is indeed a suggestion in effect. If they put it in the actual CBA rules and used simple terms like must or shall - different story. But stupid is as stupid does.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No argument. And it is apparently in the manual of operations so it is indeed a suggestion in effect. If they put it in the actual CBA rules and used simple terms like must or shall - different story. But stupid is as stupid does.

They will vote on this at the owners meeting in a couple of weeks and the issue will be wrapped up then.

As you know I think it's totally overblown and the media has made this some big issue when it really actually isn't and is a minor thing. And I've supported the players First Amendment rights to protest. And IMO they are to be commended because they are mostly millionaires sticking up for the poor. That's an admirable thing.

At this point though the issue with the protest isn't what the real problem is, it's become clouded and diluted by misinformed or ignorant people who are framing this whole thing incorrectly. So the NFL will shut it down with a new rule.

Goodell blew this last year. And it really is a minor issue that the media got ahold of.

It's like deflategate only a million times dumber.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well for the sake of this thing not crossing over into politics, I'd prefer it just end here. Last I checked this had zero to do with the thread.

CVita

UDFA
Name
Chris
Colin Cowherd: Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz and Jared Goff are the future of the NFL

http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1066387011865
Tr
Colin Cowherd: Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz and Jared Goff are the future of the NFL

http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1066387011865
It’s an exciting time in the NFL. Throw in a possible future stud in Trubisky and Teddy Bridgewater coming back. Love watching these young guys develope.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Tr

It’s an exciting time in the NFL. Throw in a possible future stud in Trubisky and Teddy Bridgewater coming back. Love watching these young guys develope.

I agree it's always fun to see QB's come into the league and try to learn the game at the next level.

I have a solid track record giving thumbs up or thumbs down and Goff got a big thumbs up from me well before the draft.

IMO he's going to be a star.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure I follow. Wouldn't be the first time for that of course.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
:stop:

Don't turn this thread into a national anthem debate and all the divisive b.s. that goes with it or...

latest

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

The players being on the field for the Anthem is pretty new, I think less than a decade actually. Previously they were in the locker room.

I'm a little bit shocked that your Anthem isn't played at sporting events. It's been done here forever.

That was comedy gold!!! Brilliantly funny.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When Colin was right....I like that bit he does....

what the hell did the anthem have to do with this?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah but you can practically throw a rock from one side of the country to the other and we're talking soccer so.... :D :hiding:

Normally, here, we don't have a half and half situation with the fan base and pretty much all the fans fall under the US flag and our anthem.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program before Prime locks the doors and gives us the stink eye.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I like the idea that we will have a group of young QBs coming on and that one of them THIS TIME plays for our Rams. I think CC is right and honestly, though I see the movement and all being important with most of the other QBs, I like the fact that we have a real pocket passer as ours. I think the rest of the team will be able to rely more heavily on plays being run as designed and knowing that if they are where they are supposed to be, the ball will be as well.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I like the idea that we will have a group of young QBs coming on and that one of them THIS TIME plays for our Rams. I think CC is right and honestly, though I see the movement and all being important with most of the other QBs, I like the fact that we have a real pocket passer as ours. I think the rest of the team will be able to rely more heavily on plays being run as designed and knowing that if they are where they are supposed to be, the ball will be as well.
Right. And we have all seen Jared's mobility, as well. Though he is a pocket passer, he can run. He has good wheels. People compare Goff to Matt Ryan. But Goff has a better arm. He is much more mobile than Ryan. Like Rogers.

I think for comparison, we should look no further than his fellow Northern Californian, Cal Berkeley Alumni Aaron Rogers. Goff has to earn it, but his ceiling is Rogers. Not Ryan. And for that, I am excited.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
People compare Goff to Matt Ryan. But Goff has a better arm. He is much more mobile than Ryan. Like Rogers.

I think for comparison, we should look no further than his fellow Northern Californian, Cal Berkeley Alumni Aaron Rogers. Goff has to earn it, but his ceiling is Rogers. Not Ryan. And for that, I am excited.
I'm not sure he has Rogers type wheels. Time will tell. But I always thought Ryan was over rated much like Eli. They had pretty good teams built around them and they are good QBs. I think Goff is better - or at least has that hated P word going for him. Again - time will tell but I like what I see from him. I just think most of us Ram fans are really shell shocked from what we have watched at the position so it is hard to take the next step toward believing.