Coaching Hotseat & Coaches to Watch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
McVay moves on from coordinators by them getting offers elsewhere. Gets called something else. Also this isn't intended as a so and so must be fired thread, moreso how can he add depth of knowledge.

But I suppose you can't discuss one without the other.
McVay does like to add depth of knowledge from outside coaches. But he generally does that in the off-season right? Are you thinking he may deviate from that and do it during the season b/c of their current record?

fearsomefour

Legend
Shanny and staff getting called out by Bosa after the Cards loss.
Starting to see things suggesting his seat may be warming up.

fearsomefour

Legend
McVay does like to add depth of knowledge from outside coaches. But he generally does that in the off-season right? Are you thinking he may deviate from that and do it during the season b/c of their current record?
I would put that near 0% really, but, who knows?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shanny and staff getting called out by Bosa after the Cards loss.
Starting to see things suggesting his seat may be warming up.
Not a chance.
49ers could lose every game the rest of the year and his job is safe

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would say chances of them coming in as an advisor are very slim since whatever team fires a HC is paying him through the rest of the year. So they take time off work on their golf game and their tan and start HC interviews when people are fired.

Agree - I remember when Kevin Demoff(Jeff Fisher) let Josh McDaniel’s take a job with NE who might have won a Super Bowl that year.Might have went from Rams OC to QB coach ?

He is with NE again as a QB coach,but the Raiders are paying him like $27 million.He is doing to stay involved the love of Kraft(NE),I’m guessing??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay hasn't fired a coordinator no matter how badly ROD wants it. And firing Shula IMO is stupid and McVay isn't stupid so doubt it happens.

LOL - so true . IMO Mcvay is the one who needs to figure it out himself though.He is the OC & scoring 12 points at home is on him.

Shula is fine & his hires have always been impressive!! Look around The NFL & his coaching Tree speaks for itself.

-The 1 Rams coach I dislike a lot is Chase Blackburn.I think on each level he doesn’t seem good.Bringing in Scott Frost was a nice hire,but I don’t see The Rams bringing coaches in Mid/season.

dang

Legend
I don’t understand the negativity toward our D and DC. They’ve done well considering so many new, young guys. They’ve been keeping us in games.

The issue this year has been the offense. Get them healthy and finally scoring points/TDs and we have something.
I mostly agree. If the offense can get in gear the close losses to CHI/GB would be wins. On defense once the Rams secondary settles in that should improve. That leaves ILB. If they have any thoughts of making a run they have to address the “elephant in the defensive unit room”. Watching Reeder - he struggles but occasionally makes a play. Watching Rozeboom - he just plain lost. Together it’s a dumpster fire. I’d prefer both get replaced but let’s start with Rozeboom.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah think our only shot is a DC tbh and have no clue at that as Shula and McVay are very close. I’d want Gannon but no way is he fired this year. He’s beaten us and the Whiners. Guy has earned another season.

Not sure about Pierce but mad we didn’t go after Flores. That guy can coach some D.
I wanted Flores too

fearsomefour

Legend
Not a chance.
49ers could lose every game the rest of the year and his job is safe
Maybe, maybe not.
The things Ive seen carry no weight.....fans and reporters talking.
But, we shall see.
Another disappointing year without a title and a bloated pay roll....it is possible.
Bring back Dennis Erickson to the Whiners!!!!

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah think our only shot is a DC tbh and have no clue at that as Shula and McVay are very close. I’d want Gannon but no way is he fired this year. He’s beaten us and the Whiners. Guy has earned another season.

Not sure about Pierce but mad we didn’t go after Flores. That guy can coach some D.
I'd put Gannon's odds at 50/50 or so at best. His first year they gave up 26 ppg, and were in that bottom group. Same this year, though they are giving up even more ppg at 28.

For any of these young coordinators getting gigs I would say that if you want to stick around and have time to learn on the job and get over that hump, you must ensure the side of the ball that is your expertise is good to go. Gannon has not done that. And that is typically something you see with the dudes who don't stick around long.

Want to guess who has the top scoring defense this year so far? Your boy. Talent definitely matters, but it takes coaching to translate it to the field. I don't think Arizona is a team that has been getting that. And I think Gannon is a goofy bastard who is better suited in a cerebral DC type role than being up in front of the whole show.

Also and btw one thing I like about Gannon is he started in the Rams' scouting ranks. That stuff is always a plus to me.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanted Flores too
Yeah there are two coaching positions that are absolute fucking money if you can fill them...

1. Top OL Coach. These guys are worth their oversized asses in gold.

2. Top Coordinator who owners won't poach opposite your HC expertise. Look at Andy Reid with Spags.

So when Flores hit the market Sean should have cleaned house in that defensive staff room to go after him. Because we would have a combo no owner could touch with top expertise on both sides of the ball.

Those types don't come available all that often. It's only once in a while.

Tano

Legend
I mostly agree. If the offense can get in gear the close losses to CHI/GB would be wins. On defense once the Rams secondary settles in that should improve. That leaves ILB. If they have any thoughts of making a run they have to address the “elephant in the defensive unit room”. Watching Reeder - he struggles but occasionally makes a play. Watching Rozeboom - he just plain lost. Together it’s a dumpster fire. I’d prefer both get replaced but let’s start with Rozeboom.
I saw Rozeboom fall flat on his face too many times against GB for him to even remain on the team.

He was like a cow without legs grazing on the grass.