Coach McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No this is not a bashing McVay post. The guy still has a lot to learn that’s obvious.
But I want to talk about some things that has become a trend lately with him and just brainstorm on what he can do to correct some of those things.

1. Playcalling, I think the main reason why we are using all of our time outs is because McVay is calling the plays. I think he needs to give up the playcalling to sorta stream line everything. Goff gets to the line extremely late and it effects the rhythm and the ability to change the play based off the defensive looks. All of this has resulted in too many wasted timeouts.
2. Every game so far McVay has gotten away from the running game in certain periods of the game. This time it seemed like he did it the entire game. Watching his press conference he said it was based off of what they was doing up front, that tells me he played right into carrols plan.
3. Red zone offense even with Washington this has been a big mark against McVay and part of that is because of my first two points. McVay is going to always be a coach that loves to pass but he has a back that has a ton of confidence right now and not going to him can have adverse effects on his psyche. You can’t feeeze our your best offensive player.

What are your thoughts.?

EastRam

Pro Bowler
No this is not a bashing McVay post. The guy still has a lot to learn that’s obvious.
But I want to talk about some things that has become a trend lately with him and just brainstorm on what he can do to correct some of those things.

1. Playcalling, I think the main reason why we are using all of our time outs is because McVay is calling the plays. I think he needs to give up the playcalling to sorta stream line everything. Goff gets to the line extremely late and it effects the rhythm and the ability to change the play based off the defensive looks. All of this has resulted in too many wasted timeouts.
2. Every game so far McVay has gotten away from the running game in certain periods of the game. This time it seemed like he did it the entire game. Watching his press conference he said it was based off of what they was doing up front, that tells me he played right into carrols plan.
3. Red zone offense even with Washington this has been a big mark against McVay and part of that is because of my first two points. McVay is going to always be a coach that loves to pass but he has a back that has a ton of confidence right now and not going to him can have adverse effects on his psyche. You can’t feeeze our your best offensive player.

What are your thoughts.?

I think McVay gets conservative in the red zone

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think McVay gets conservative in the red zone
Good point when Zuerline missed the field goal you could just see the disbelief in his eyes. Down there he has to do a better job with running the ball that makes the play action rollout pass a lot more effective instead of passing it every down

fearsomefour

Legend
Had a "Martz moment" today as I posted in the game thread.
I'm sure he was seeing matchups he thought they could win. But, throwing that much and getting out of balance plays right into a strong defenses hands. The timeouts were brutal.
But the players need to execute.
So bad throws.
Gurley with yet another fumble....he has to be leading the lead at this point. Greg Z shanking a FG.
This is a game the team woukd have lost big not long ago.
It was a bad game for his play calling and a bad game in terms of player execution.
The next three games....it is reasonable to go 2-1 over those three. 5-3 at the half way point is doable.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still say the run game wasn’t working .... I didn’t see many big gains other thena the lone Austin TD run

The timeout thing is a little Frustrating but he is a new HC ... I mean martz used em
Like they were going out of fashion
Sean will learn

Redzone stuff sometimes come
Down to execution .. GE shoulda had one early in the game and drops it .. kupp missed
One it’s not Always on the coach

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This was a team loss.
Better execution today, and this thread doesn't exist.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was a team loss.
Better execution today, and this thread doesn't exist.
I’m not just talking about this game I’m talking about what I have seen over the last 5 games. Coming to the line with 4 seconds on the play clock not running Gurley in certain periods of the game. Like I said I’m not bashing McVay he has done a remarkable job and he is a new head coach I’m really just brainstorming

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The early time outs in the 2nd half were because we got out of the huddle late. The play clock was at 5. Whatever the problem was in the huddle, it was why the timeouts were called. We also had 1 in the first half. And while I would have liked to see us utilize the run game better, I don't fault McVay. What I do fault McVay for, was not having Goff take what was there. We kept trying to push it down the field when we really didn't have it there....(other than the TE play ...twice...). It kept putting us behind the sticks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the kid coach, but I need to not think about the Rams for a while, because this game loss is on the play calling in the second half as much as anything the Hawks did. We were predictable passing on first down and Gurley was a ghost in the second half.....You can't let Seattle do that to you, but then we let them do it to us.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still say the run game wasn’t working .... I didn’t see many big gains other thena the lone Austin TD run

The timeout thing is a little Frustrating but he is a new HC ... I mean martz used em
Like they were going out of fashion
Sean will learn

Redzone stuff sometimes come
Down to execution .. GE shoulda had one early in the game and drops it .. kupp missed
One it’s not Always on the coach
You’re right with all the miss cues we still could have won this game but McVay even with a win would have made it harder then it should have been. When was the last time a team beat the Seahawks throwing the ball 50 times. That’s playcalling that’s gameplan that’s McVay

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
McVay didn’t cause 5 turnovers. McVay didn’t cause Whitworth to have his only whiff of the season. McVay didn’t miss a field goal. McVay didn’t give up on long WR routes.

McVay did not replace Austin as a punt returner soon enough. McVay did trust Austin too much in the backfield as a runner. McVay has not solved the inability to be an effective red zone playcaller going back to his Redskin days. He has focused on the offense being ready for plays (thus calling timeouts) over having them available when needed later.

He’s still the best leader and playcaller we’ve enjoyed in many years...dare i say...ever (as a combination of the two) Vermeil was the better leader and for awhile Martz the better coordinator. But as a combo, who would any of us prefer? Ground Chuck? John Robinson? Allen?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has to stop abandoning the run, especially in the red-zone. I don't want him to give up play-calling duties, but he's gotta learn from his mistakes today. He abandoned what we do well in the second half.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
No worries. McDreamy is going to win a lot in LA. He will learn from this.

fearsomefour

Legend
I’m not just talking about this game I’m talking about what I have seen over the last 5 games. Coming to the line with 4 seconds on the play clock not running Gurley in certain periods of the game. Like I said I’m not bashing McVay he has done a remarkable job and he is a new head coach I’m really just brainstorming
A lot to call plays from the sideline while being the head coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seattle's defense won some snaps today too. They're an elite unit and it showed. Rams also played like a bunch of pu$$ies on offense at times, with guys making dumb mistakes and not executing, so it's on the players too.

But all that aside McVay got outcoached for the second time this season. First time was vs Gruden. He's gotta improve plain and simple.

fearsomefour

Legend
McVay didn’t cause 5 turnovers. McVay didn’t cause Whitworth to have his only whiff of the season. McVay didn’t miss a field goal. McVay didn’t give up on long WR routes.

McVay did not replace Austin as a punt returner soon enough. McVay did trust Austin too much in the backfield as a runner. McVay has not solved the inability to be an effective red zone playcaller going back to his Redskin days. He has focused on the offense being ready for plays (thus calling timeouts) over having them available when needed later.

He’s still the best leader and playcaller we’ve enjoyed in many years...dare i say...ever (as a combination of the two) Vermeil was the better leader and for awhile Martz the better coordinator. But as a combo, who would any of us prefer? Ground Chuck? John Robinson? Allen?
Way too early to tell.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot to call plays from the sideline while being the head coach.
Yep that’s true but maybe if he relinquish those duties at least late in games it helps the flow of the offense a lot of times we make a big play have momentum going then got to call a timeout because we can’t get to the line fast enough. All those timeouts helps the defense while it hurts the offense.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hope LaFleur will have a bigger role in play calling soon. So far, it’s McBae on offense, Phillips on defense, and Fassel on special teams. I’m sure the kid will learn though