Chris Shula promoted to DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm just asking because seems like every DC has had a different wrinkle to the defense.

I'm actually not trying to sound like a smartass.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When Wade was hired my concern was that he was old and tired. Staley my concern was he was a college nobody, hired almost exclusively to bring in Fangio system nuance and know how. Morris I was concerned he was a friend hire, and I wondered how he would call a Fangio defense on gamedays having never really coached in that system prior.

Each of them worked out. It's the damndest thing.

And btw the concern storyline on Shula would also be friend hire, and whether he is ready to call it at a high level for a team that has the highest aspirations. If I felt the need to focus on that. But at this point it's more enjoyable to watch how he goes about his business and we should have an idea forming by the time we get to the season opener because his imprint will be all over the defensive roster in how they approach it.

I'll tell you right now that if I don't like the moves that are made leading up to the season then I'm going to be doubting him. If it goes bad it is likely we'll see it coming, basically. But for now I'm happy for him. Getting a coordinator gig for McVay is a hell of a milestone, i.e. the one that puts you in a head coach role if you do well.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Staley (not on the top of list), Vrabel, really liked Jimmy Lake, Wilson from BAL who went to TEN, and a few others. I would've taken Hendo over Shula but he was already gone.

Wild card was Jim Leonard.
Fair enough. Personally didn't want Staley - overrated - Vrabel probably was not looking to go back to DC, Lake - OK - but was tied at the hip to Raheem, Wilson would have been good, as would've Hendo. Know nothing about Leonard.

I guess my main question is why do you know so much about Shula, and why the dislike?

(You kinda already answered this).

Last edited:

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Him being a Shula got him and opportunity years ago, but he's been with the org for 7 years, and his grandfather's legacy most certainly wouldn't have kept him in a job.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Pretty much it as far as the name discussion goes.

McVay is not one to put up with shitty results. Shula's name and relationship got him the job but if sucked at what he does, how did he last 7 seasons?

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Fair enough. Personally didn't want Staley - overrated - Vrabel probably was not looking to go back to DC, Lake - OK - but was tied at the hip to Raheem, Wilson would have been good, as would've Hendo. Know nothing about Leonard.

I guess my main question is why do you know so much about Shula, and why the dislike?

(You already annswewed this).
I don't know much about him. And frankly, my biggest thing is I wanted someone experienced who could really take advantage of the last few years of AD/Stafford/Kupp.

And frankly, I was hoping it'd be someone who's been apart of or ran tough, physical defenses. I'm just so damn tired of our defense missing tackles and being so soft.

I long for tough, mean, physical defenses.

The same thing I watch every Saturday from the Iowa Hawkeyes coach Phil Parker (the GOAT).

I'm not saying Shula won't be that, I just really feel uneasy about this type of hire in such a tight window with STAFF/AD/KUPP window being narrow.

That's my biggest gripe. I know I've joked about the nepotism and they being friends from college. But I don't care at all about it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm just asking because seems like every DC has had a different wrinkle to the defense.

I'm actually not trying to sound like a smartass.
Okay. Fair.

It's the Fangio scheme. Same as Staley, same as Morris. Morris runs the same scheme as Staley but people go nuts and think it's a different scheme cause our players aren't as good. (People really need to see how stacked that D was that Staley had here, we lost a ton of guys form that D and/or they got older.)

The one thing Morris did seem to evolve from Staley (and all schemes evolve from year to year) is that he seemed to add more blitz's and games up front to it (more so this year than last).

I expect to see the same defense we saw last year with a few schematic tweaks as many in the league that run Fangio seem to have been adding tweaks here and there to their pressure concepts.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Well - looks like he's broken his nose a few times - checkmark for toughness! :laugh4:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think it bears repeating - and I would put money on this - that the decision on DC was impacted by what Donald wants near retirement.
If you're trying to make your star player happy who's got one foot out the door, changing scheme up may not be the way to do that. It's no guarantee but I think it most likely plays a role.

We can argue if this is appropriate but I have to think it factored in.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Okay. Fair.

It's the Fangio scheme. Same as Staley, same as Morris. Morris runs the same scheme as Staley but people go nuts and think it's a different scheme cause our players aren't as good. (People really need to see how stacked that D was that Staley had here, we lost a ton of guys form that D and/or they got older.)

The one thing Morris did seem to evolve from Staley (and all schemes evolve from year to year) is that he seemed to add more blitz's and games up front to it (more so this year than last).

I expect to see the same defense we saw last year with a few schematic tweaks as many in the league that run Fangio seem to have been adding tweaks here and there to their pressure concepts.
I appreciate your response. Definitely makes me feel more at ease knowing it's still a Fangio scheme and frankly, I didn't know Morris and Staley had similar schemes.

My hope is that we tighten up the pass defense, infuse some more blitzed and Shula turns then into DAWGS.

I irrationally respond to hires and stuff that I didn't see coming or wasn't my guy.

You laying it out like this makes me feel a lot better. So, thank you my friend. Cheers!

I would be curious if AD and EJ had say in this too.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Fangio's defense with Broncos is prob a little different that it was in Miami... and Staley's a little different in LAC than LAR ... and guys from year to year,

But as you point out the major elements are the same.

The recent major things is the reliance of TITE fronts wit the "DEs" the 5-techs if you will playing a lot of 4i tech. And the gap-1/2 style. And the quarters coverage or quarters family ... which includes 4-6-8 but plenty of rotation to cover-3. they can miz in a little man and a little cover-2.

have shown what they are looking for a a square on the 3 receiver side and a triangle of defenders on the 2 receiver side ... 4 over 3 and 3 over 2 on the respective sides.

It also is a 4-2-5 on nickel or plenty of a 5-1-5 Penny front, a gain TITE fronts but with that Star position ...they would love to do that most of the time if they could but teams can run at if they are good.

I'd expect the major fronts to be a 5-1, a 3-4 and a 4-2 and the 2-high shell and rotating to Cov-3 and the cov-family most of the time. Blitzing about 25-30% of the time, like the last three years.

But I have no double Shula will put his stamp on things ... what he sees will work, take something from another team he thinks works, something McVay says slowed him down.

But, IMO, it will be vast majority Fangio

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Some must think that elite DCs just come off the street.

Some must realize we never heard of the elite DCs until they became elite DCs.

My take, maybe a disillusioned one at that, I saw McVay, Sneed and even Demoff go VERY public about how Morris should become a HC in the league. They were trying to sell him OFF the team.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a real something there with Chris Shula that the entire team has seen..

Ignore the name association. Don't ignore a bloodline.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
100%

Stafford as well.

Good leaders seek out others opinions and your Captains are the ones in the trenches going to battle for you. You need to know if they will be loyal to their leaders.

McVay consulted with many people for these hires. Nothing like rooming with a guy when you are young to see their life character IMO. This just gives me more confidence.

I have nothing to like or dis-like about hiring Shula as our DC.

I do have tremendous trust in those that do make these selections.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And frankly, my biggest thing is I wanted someone experienced who could really take advantage of the last few years of AD/Stafford/Kupp.
Staley wasnt experienced when he was named DC, and actually Shula is pretty experienced with the current personnel
And frankly, I was hoping it'd be someone who's been apart of or ran tough, physical defenses. I'm just so damn tired of our defense missing tackles and being so soft.
Need to understand that the players dictate that more than the coaches, and the personnel that the team assembled were in accordance to a scheme. Not saying that they dont need to improve the tackling, but I dont think it was due to a lack of coaching

WestCoastRam

Legend
I appreciate your response. Definitely makes me feel more at ease knowing it's still a Fangio scheme and frankly, I didn't know Morris and Staley had similar schemes.

My hope is that we tighten up the pass defense, infuse some more blitzed and Shula turns then into DAWGS.

I irrationally respond to hires and stuff that I didn't see coming or wasn't my guy.

You laying it out like this makes me feel a lot better. So, thank you my friend. Cheers!

Thanks man, we're all flitting in and out of here so quickly it's sometimes hard to keep up with each other and so often people ask questions, but not in good faith. Hard to tell. Seems easier to default to eye rolling.

As far as Shula, I mean, I've mentioned it before. So little to go on with him that I'm "meh" on the hiring. With guys like Evero, Kevin O'Connell or Thomas Brown, you just always heard a steady drumbeat of how they were on a trajectory for bigger things. I wish we had heard the same for Shula.

What I'll add is I liked the amount of blitzing we had last year, they just didn't work cause we don't have the players. I think Morris did a good job with the blitzes. We just need the talent.