Chiefs QB Alex Smith expects to play elsewhere next season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvR4amnNTR4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2JaYT2vYAg

Alex Smith expects to play elsewhere next season
Posted by Charean Williams on September 13, 2017

8439198941-e1505348913255.jpg

Getty Images

Alex Smith leads the league with a 148.6 passer rating. He won AFC offensive player of the week honors for Week 1. Yet, Smith expects to play elsewhere next season.

That’s what the Chiefs quarterback said during a recent interview on In Depth with Graham Bensinger.

For sure,” Smith said when asked if he felt like 2017 would be his last in Kansas City. “It absolutely does. Without a doubt.”

The Chiefs traded up to 10th overall to select Patrick Mahomes to groom behind the 33-year-old Smith.

“It’s a tough pill to swallow,” Smith said. “It’s like, man, [we] could’ve added this or this or this position or this player.”

Smith’s contract runs through the 2018 season. The Chiefs gave up a first-round 2018 choice and a 2017 third-rounder to Buffalo for Mahomes, who completed 34 of 54 passes for 390 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions in the preseason.

Smith understands the NFL is a “what-have-you-done-for-me-lately” business, and he wants to make it a hard decision for the Chiefs in the offseason.

“Structurally, the contract, the guarantees are less, and that’s just the reality,” said Smith, who has a 2-4 playoff record. “You have to prove yourself year in and year out and if you can’t get the job done, every team is going to go and try and find somebody else that can. That’s the reality of the deal. I don’t care who you are.”

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Very interesting watch. He has been under a lot of scrutiny and did survive a very tough start to his career even after the 49ers gave up on him for Kapperdick.

Now hes at a point in his career where he can choose what team and which situation he can finish his career in. The question is will most teams view him as a stop-gap quarterback someone who is too old to be a long-term answer and someone not good enough to be a top-tier quarterback?

I feel he could give a team like Buffalo, Cleveland or even the Jaguars a chance to win now. At least he will have a chance to write his ending to a degree instead of going out another joke or mistake.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Very interesting watch. He has been under a lot of scrutiny and did survive a very tough start to his career even after the 49ers gave up on him for Kapperdick.

Now hes at a point in his career where he can choose what team and which situation he can finish his career in. The question is will most teams view him as a stop-gap quarterback someone who is too old to be a long-term answer and someone not good enough to be a top-tier quarterback?

I feel he could give a team like Buffalo, Cleveland or even the Jaguars a chance to win now. At least he will have a chance to write his ending to a degree instead of going out another joke or mistake.
I was thinking Cleveland or Arizona next year. Heck, if Kirk Cousins goes to SF, Smith could go to Washington.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
If the Whiners can't get Cousins, maybe they hoover Smith enough to bring him back to SF...errr... Santa Clara.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Cleveland. They're building around Kizer long term it seems.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Five part interview - can get the rest: https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017...e-years-and-more-we-learned-in-this-interview

As for PFT, yeah, not so sure that Smith talks about expecting to play elsewhere -- the question is about "potential". This is the relevant part of the interview:
Bensinger: “You think this has the potential to be your last year in Kansas City?”
Smith: “Yeah, for sure. It absolutely does, without a doubt. I only say that because my mindset when I got traded here was no different—like this could be my only year here. I just think you become a veteran. Structurally, the guarantees are less and that’s just the reality, right? You have to prove yourself year in and year out, and if you can’t get the job done, every team is going to try to find somebody else that can. That’s just the reality of the deal. I don’t care who you are.”
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017...e-years-and-more-we-learned-in-this-interview

AS also says "No different this year, than every year. I mean that's just been the way it is."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Smith will be much sought after in the off-season. Plenty of teams need a reliable qb.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Seems like a good dude. I hope the best for him and I hope a lot of struggling young guys learn a bit from something like this, regardless of position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He'll have a very good year under that staff and have enormous interest on the market. Suspect he'll be even more desired than Cousins, given the fact he's in a better spot for this season. And he'll sign a huge contract somewhere, that's for sure.

IF it were me, though, I'd look for fit in terms of the staff as well as a relatively new staff (SF for example as funny as that sounds with a top offensive mind calling the offense) and sign for a more reasonable amount like Brady did. $15M per range would be fine by me, as I'd be more concerned with the quality of my time with that team than the raw income. Having a coach who sees the field and thinks like a QB is key for me, and far more important than going highest bidder.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Alex Smith, next season New Orleans Saints QB. I'll bet Brees goes to Jaguars for epic breaking deal. And Cousins well Niners, that's easy. So there's gonna be a loaded 2018 QB NFL draft class, too. Interesting I say, dear Watson. I concur Sherlock.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

yeah, the saints are in a never ending 7 and 9 run. something has to change for them to move forward. i think brees has had his time there and is happily playing on the last year of his contract. it all went sour when they got rid of all their older vets and brees got frustrated that the younger, more athletic players that came in and were nowhere near as professional as the guys they replaced. didn't take playing football seriously and the results show it. as @BatteringRambo said, the jags would be a perfect spot for him. they have the money and they have the team waiting to go to the next level.

jjab360

Legend
For sure,” Smith said when asked if he felt like 2017 would be his last in Kansas City. “It absolutely does. Without a doubt.”
Bensinger: “You think this has the potential to be your last year in Kansas City?”
Smith: “Yeah, for sure. It absolutely does, without a doubt. I only say that because my mindset when I got traded here was no different—like this could be my only year here...You have to prove yourself year in and year out, and if you can’t get the job done, every team is going to try to find somebody else that can."
I don't know who you are Charean Williams, but your journalism integrity is officially for shit with me. Way to butcher a statement to get it to say what you want it to.
Huh? Smith looks on track for a career season and has been solid if unspectacular for a while now. This is a QB starved league, unproven backups like Osweiler go for $17.5m per year on the open market. Career IR player Bradford went for a first. Palmer went for a first after retiring. Cutler went for multiple firsts. A proven consistently healthy 33 year old starter like Smith would go for a first and more if the Chiefs were actually looking to trade him.

jjab360

Legend
You might be trading for a one year contract but it's also a chance to integrate him into the system and program, hope he likes where he's at, and if not you hold the leverage of the franchise tag. It's essentially like what we did with Watkins this year. A team like the Broncos or Jaguars with all the pieces but the QB would find a first to be a cheap price to pay. This is an aggressive league when it comes to the QB market if he actually somehow makes it to FA that bidding war is going to be hell, why sit back and wait.